Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    urbino:
    Does this mean you won't be finding out what the heck it was? You should email them back and make them tell you.

I'm out on the patio again, having a La Cuna 85. This one's a little bitter, for some reason. Anyhoo, I'm waiting around to see if my stray cat shows up again. He came up for a visit last night, then went out to the dumpster and got his ass kicked by a raccoon, then decided he liked it better up here with me.

I definitly intend to do that ...
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    gmill880:
    j0z3r:
    Damn Gene, you're all over the funky cigars and getting freebies from the manufacturer. I might just have to fabricate my own red string. :)

I wish you could have seen it Joe the pics really didn't do it justice it was really strange/funky. I was hoping it was some sort of 100,000,000 celebration winner and I had won a yatch, I woulda had my captain sail down thru the canal and pick you west coasters up. You talk about the herf from he-ll baby , we woulda had it!!! East meets West , there woulda been enough cigar smoke hangin' over that thing the coast guard woulda probably shown up
    A man can dream Gene, a man can dream. :)

Today was a favorite of mine, a La Gloria Cubana wavell, I just really enjoy this cigar, plain and simple. I tried an Oliveros Eight Zero tonight, was good for the first half, then it kinda faded into obscurity, I didn't mind though, the wind was starting to blow.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    The La Cuna mellowed out after the first third or so. Now it's the good friend I've come to rely on.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Just finished a Nub Habano. This is the third Nub that I have really not enjoyed. First the Cameroon, then the Connecticut, now the Habano. I think I can safely write them off as a brand I just don't dig.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    gmill880:
    gmill880:
    kaspera79:
    urbino:
    gmill880:
    I didn't know whether to smoke it or light the fuse and throw it!
    Heh. That's dang weird, gm. I'd take it back, then make them cut it open while you're there so you can see what it is.
    I would bring that tainted cigar back to "Smokes-R-Us" and get a new one. I am pretty sure the shop owner will cut it open to see what is at the other end of that cord, and gladly replace it.

i will let you know how it turns out

Update on the funky Nub cigar with the red nylon string that I posted pics of. I e-mailed Oliva Cigar Co and told them of the cigar and red nylon. I received two responses. The first from Jose R Oliva thanking me and stating in all the years of cigar mfg and 50,000,000 cigars he had never heard of such an "oddity". To please mail it to him and he would like to send me a gift in return. Basically the same message from a sales manager who also responded.
    Sent in back priority mail Friday.....received today from Oliva Cigars 2 Cameroon, 2 Habano and 3 Conn. Nub cigars, A very nice cigar ashtray with Nub logo in bottom and a nice guillotine cigar cutter with Nub logo on it as well, and a match container with Nub logo. Pretty sweet , although I'll always wonder what the he-ll that was hanging outta my cigar.....Props to Oliva for responding and the freebies...
    Luck SoB. That's awesome and good customer service/relations. Good score!
    Forgot to add that Smoked half a Monticristo Tubos last night. That was all I had in the truck. It's one of those cigars that they give you when you purchase food at my local B&M. The raised the prices on food from $9.95 to $10.95 but you get the free cigar now. Not a fan. I find that these are not consistant at all. Some are darker than others. The darker ones smoke better. Some even visually look different, size wise. I have a bunch sitting in a bag because I don't normally smoke them. I either give them away of just store them for a rainy day.
  • koialobokoialobo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1

Looking for Cigar buddy in Washington State around bellevue or Seattle.  contact me at

cwest@fciseattle.com or koialobo@yahoo.com Chuck

• Dude LoveDude Love Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 315
    Just got done with the Padilla Miami robusto I got from here when they were in the 3 for $5 deal. It started out great, with a really creamy sweet taste. Almost caramel. I had to keep touching up the burn, but purging after each time kept it from getting bitter. Then about an inch in, it went out. I relit it, but even after purging it tasted awful. I think I'll get another one before writing this one off, because it started out REALLY good.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Today was a 5 Vegas Miami.. Construction, burn and draw all good but the taste didn't knock me over. Just woody and a little leathery. Not much after taste, still, it was okay.
    RP Decade this is becoming a favorite
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    Stuck in a hotel room, but enjoying a Padilla Habano robusto.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    gmill880:
    RP Decade this is becoming a favorite
    I need to smoke another one of those. Thoroughly enjoyed the first one.
    Smoked a Genghis Khan tonight. My first. It is big but it was really really good. It got stronger around the half way mark. I do have to say that it started to develop an amonia taste near the last 3 inches. Purging did not fix. Age will do these good. Got 4 more :-)
    I really enjoyed the GK too wheely, though I got none of the ammonia you describe. I'd consider buying a couple, but I just couldn't keep many on hand, just don't have the occasion to smoke them all too often.

Today was a RP R4 robusto, a tasty cigar. A bit later was an El Mejor Espresso torpedo, classic maduro taste and pretty good, medium bodied.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    I don't think I've ever experienced ammonia in a cigar, where does that come from?
  • ShawnJShawnJ Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 65
    Had a Cusano Corojo 1997. Tasty, spicy cigar.
  • JdoraisJdorais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 653
    ha, I just finished my first ever 5 Vegas Miami and I would agree completely with you... it was Okay.
    Luko:
    I don't think I've ever experienced ammonia in a cigar, where does that come from?
    Part of a cigar's life is the "ammonia phase", where the breakdown of the tobacco leaf causes ammonia to be released. If a cigar is not aged long enough after production, sometimes traces of ammonia are still present in the finished product.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    j0z3r:
    Luko:
    Part of a cigar's life is the "ammonia phase", where the breakdown of the tobacco leaf causes ammonia to be released. If a cigar is not aged long enough after production, sometimes traces of ammonia are still present in the finished product.
    Interesting...thanks Jose.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    j0z3r:
    Luko:
    apparently this was happening a lot in the cigar boom days when they were rushing cigars out the door before enough time in the aging rooms
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    Had an Excalibur 1066 King Arthur last night. This was a very good cigar. Sweet and leathery, medium-bodied, mild pepper here and there. Lots of smoke with a firm, but not tight, draw. I'll be grabbing more of these.
    j0z3r:
    I really enjoyed the GK too wheely, though I got none of the ammonia you describe. I'd consider buying a couple, but I just couldn't keep many on hand, just don't have the occasion to smoke them all too often.

Today was a RP R4 robusto, a tasty cigar. A bit later was an El Mejor Espresso torpedo, classic maduro taste and pretty good, medium bodied.
    I may buy some more in a couple months but I have no where to put them now. Even the ones I have now are in a bag with a humi pillow.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    OK, this made me laugh a bit. I returned to my hotel room this afternoon. I had left the remains of last night's stick in the ashtray as I didn't want to just dump it in the waste basket. Today I found that the maid had emptied and cleaned the ashtray, and returned the 1" butt to the now clean ash tray. She must know some cheapskates.

Tonight will be either a Punch Segundo or an Aurora 1495.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    Just finished a DPG Vegas Cubanas Corona. A good mellow smoke, but noting really special. I was happily puffing away and getting tons of smoke on a really nice burn when just after the 1/2 way mark...it up and went out with no warning. Wierd.
    zoom6zoom:
    OK, this made me laugh a bit. I returned to my hotel room this afternoon. I had left the remains of last night's stick in the ashtray as I didn't want to just dump it in the waste basket. Today I found that the maid had emptied and cleaned the ashtray, and returned the 1" butt to the now clean ash tray. She must know some cheapskates..
    Hey zoom, that' s good maid service. I use to manage people in the service employees business and they will not throw away anything they believe is of any value. She must know cigar smokers and how they value their cigars. good for her. Actually, it would depend how you left it. among the ashes, Bye,bye. Resting in the center lifted on the holders.. Keep it.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    kaspera79:
    zoom6zoom:
    OK, this made me laugh a bit. I returned to my hotel room this afternoon. I had left the remains of last night's stick in the ashtray as I didn't want to just dump it in the waste basket. Today I found that the maid had emptied and cleaned the ashtray, and returned the 1" butt to the now clean ash tray. She must know some cheapskates..
    Hey zoom, that' s good maid service. I use to manage people in the service employees business and they will not throw away anything they believe is of any value. She must know cigar smokers and how they value their cigars. good for her. Actually, it would depend how you left it. among the ashes, Bye,bye. Resting in the center lifted on the holders.. Keep it.
    I'm surprised you can still smoke in hotels. the only one's I've been to that still let you in my area, well you probably wouldn't want to go to at any cost. One thing I hate about going to the beach, can't smoke on the f-ing balcony.
    Nothing for me today ...started to light up a couple of times but work got in the way each time...starting my long 3 day weekend off now, Fri , Sat , and Sunday should see some serious smoking and grilling and drinking especially with a little warmer weather , maybe even time to visit a B&M or two
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Just finished a Tatuaje J21 Reserva courtesy Brandon (bbc020). Man, that was a helluva smoke. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it, it went out with about half an inch left and I burnt my finger re-lighting it just for a last few puffs. Damn good cigar, thanks again Brandon!
    alienmisprint:
    Just finished a Tatuaje J21 Reserva courtesy Brandon (bbc020). Man, that was a helluva smoke. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it, it went out with about half an inch left and I burnt my finger re-lighting it just for a last few puffs. Damn good cigar, thanks again Brandon!
    It sounds like you hated to see that one go... The ashes were falling behind your teeth at that point.
  • adrianganemadrianganem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 15