Home Cigar 101

Looking for some recommendations/suggestions..

Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 930
So, I'm looking for some cigars that have a good woody/cedar taste to them. Have any of you smoked anything that would fit this category pretty well?

Comments

• PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    601 Green! That thing had the most STRONG cedar flavor of anything I've ever had and it was awesome! I would seriously suggest picking up a few of these!
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 930
    Thanks man. I'll have to try and grab some soon. After reading about it here on the ccom, it sounds like it's money well spent.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Check your PM man.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    wow that's a big list, well... Opus X, GOF, RP renissance, ashton classic, AF hemminway, AF WOA maduro, AF short story, camacho cigars (didn't get any really from the 3x maduro), gurkha beast, gurkha titan, gurkha signature, gurkha master select, gurkha sherpa, rp vintage 90... A lot of conni wrappers have it too. A nub habano, conni... there are quite a few..
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 930
    phobicsquirrel:
    wow that's a big list, well... Opus X, GOF, RP renissance, ashton classic, AF hemminway, AF WOA maduro, AF short story, camacho cigars (didn't get any really from the 3x maduro), gurkha beast, gurkha titan, gurkha signature, gurkha master select, gurkha sherpa, rp vintage 90... A lot of conni wrappers have it too. A nub habano, conni... there are quite a few..
    I didn't get too strong of a woody taste from the Nub Habano. I'll have to try the Connecticut though. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep those in mind. I'm gonna try and head to the B&M tomorrow, so I'll keep an eye for them.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I tend to get the strongest wood/cedar notes from cigars made of Nicaraguan tobacco. For such a taste, I'd recommend the Padilla Miami or Signature 1932.
  • betasynnbetasynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,249
    I gotta second j0z3r on the 1932.
  • betasynnbetasynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,249
    Ah, and I just had a La Aurora 1495 lancero that was pretty cedary.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    Matt Marvel:
    I didn't get too strong of a woody
    Matt, you gotta be careful what you say around these guys... last guy who said something about a nice package didn't hear the end of it for weeks!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    partagas black and 5 vegas series A

the partagas has almost a cedar "bite" to it. I like it. the series A is a bit more subtle but its still one of my favorite smokes.
    kuzi16:
    partagas black and 5 vegas series A

the partagas has almost a cedar "bite" to it. I like it. the series A is a bit more subtle but its still one of my favorite smokes.
    another vote for the part. black!
  • GarbandzGarbandz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 16
    If you like that cedary taste you can infuse it into any cigar you like.I have done this for years.I remove the cello,and put the cigars in a cedar box like a slide top from my local.It also works to put the foot up against the side in my humi.You can use sheets of cedar between layers in your humi,and after a couple of months,they have picked up as much cedar as they are likely to pick up.Try it and you can get a feel for how long you want to age them...
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    anybody else ever try this ...
    isn't essentially like having your cigars just sit in the humi and rest?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    phobicsquirrel:
    isn't essentially like having your cigars just sit in the humi and rest?
    maybe. when cigars are put into a cedar wrap there is a ton of contact with the wood and the tobacco. plus that wood is inside the cellophane.

the humidor has cedar in it but only contacts the tobacco in a limited area. some cigars may never actually touch the cedar.

ive never tried the method stated above. cedar/wood isnt the only taste i look for or enjoy. heck, i dont even think that its what i like most about cigars.