Home Ratings & Reviews

The RobbyRas Very Amateur Review Thread

Comments

• lcpleellcpleel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,447
    BigT06:
    robbyras:
    Let me know what you want to see reviewed tomorrow...

Liga Privada Undercrown
    Warlock
    Alec Bradley American Classic
    Ashton Aged Maduro
    UNDERCROWN!
    he means ASHTON AGED MADURO
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    WARLOCK! WARLOCK! WARLOCK! WARLOCK!

• robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    so here is where we stand...

Ashton Aged Maduro - 2 votes
    Undercrown - 1 Vote
    Warlock - 1 Vote
    AB American Classic - no love

I'm probably going to fire up around 1pm Pacific time... so the voting is open for another hour
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 600
    Count me in for Undercrown!
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 738
    in a STUNNING turn of events... Undercrown now has the lead... i'm gonna fire one up in a bit so get those last minute votes in...

WOW this is cheesy!
    Check out the out the Undercrown review at RobbyRasReviews.com

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    robbyras:
    Liga Privada Undercrown - Drew Estate
    Wrapper: San Andres Maduro
    Vitola: Gran Toro 6 x 52
    Time in Humi: 1 week

I've only smoked a few Drew Estate cigars and only one of the No.9. I mention that because the Undercrown is based on the No.9. I'm sure you've heard the stories about how the Undercrown was created so I won't go through all that. I mention it simply because I don't have a broad base of comparison to the No.9. So I am looking at this as a stand alone cigar, not a replacement to the 9.

2011-10-25_13-24-00_281

Prelight: The deep brown of the San Andres wrapper is quite appealing and smells very spicy. I used my Xi cutter to clip the cap and found a perfect draw tasting of toasted wood, nuts and leather. It feels pretty substantial in my hand and I'm worried it might be a little dry. This turns out to be a non issue. It lights up with ease and produces a lot of thick smoke.

2011-10-25_13-24-08_948

2011-10-25_13-24-44_491

Beginning: The first draw lets me know I'm in for a treat. Lots of toasty wood notes with some roasted nut flavors mixed in. There is a spicy pepper base that is more noticeable on the retrohale. The first few inches settle in nicely. I find that the pepper comes and goes, but this is turning into a really nice medium bodied smoke. I smoked it at 1PM and at about 1:15 I wished I had waited until maybe 7pm because this baby is SCREAMING to be paired with a nice bourbon. I couldn't bring myself to do it so I stuck with water.

2011-10-25_13-46-41_549

Middle: One thing that stuck out to me was the bright white color of the ash. It may just have been the contrast with the dark brown of the wrapper, but it's seemed whiter than most ashes. I don't know if that is good or bad to be honest. Anyway, the flavors seemed to jump up a level in the middle. Not quite to a full body, but maybe a med-full. The pepper was all over the place. Sometimes it would be very prominent for a few puffs, then it would completely disappear for a few. I took that to mean that this stick could use some rest. A little coffee bean bitterness came into play as well. Not unpleasant by any means. It seemed to actually balance everything out for me.

2011-10-25_13-54-40_590

2011-10-25_14-15-23_24

End: I found myself wishing this stick had a few more inches to it. It burned slow, but I didn't want it to end. Every few inches brought subtle changes to the flavor profile and I wanted to see what would happen next.

2011-10-25_14-26-05_42

Construction: Like I said before, this is a heavy stick. I liked that. It felt like I was firing up a high end smoke. The wrapper is beautiful, but it did have a few veins. I did get a slight crack near the cap when I cut it, but I wasn't an issue. The burn was pretty straight throughout. A few touch ups were required to keep it straight, but nothing too labor intensive. All in all it was a well constructed stick.

2011-10-25_14-45-28_392

Final Thoughts: The flavors evolved exactly how I like them to in a good smoke. They started out basic and grew into a decently complex web that kept me intrigued. I don't have enough experience with the No.9 to compare the two, but I will say this is a very fine smoke. I remember the 9 having more spice and more of a kick to it, but that's about all I can say on that. So, on it's own merits the Undercrown is a great smoke. Considering the quality you are getting, the price point is pretty attractive. Don't tell anyone, but I've seen these show up on the Sprintsale!

Scores:
    Smoke Time: 96 minutes
    Price Point: 9 - I don't mind paying for a quality premium stick and that is exactly what the Undercrown is.
    Appearance: 9 - I love the color of the San Andres wrapper and I really like the elegant design of the band.
    Construction: 9 - All to the good
    Draw: 10 - Dead. Ass. Perfect.
    Flavor: 9.25 - I loved it. Everything I want in a premium maduro. I'm not expert but I feel like this baby will age REALLY well.

What a great smoke. I'm glad I picked up a fiver and when I see them on the Sprintsale, I will grab more. Great smoke to have after dinner with a nice bourbon. An Undercrown, a comfortable chair, Basil Hayden's on the rocks... fuckinforgetaboutit

Thanks for reading!
    Great review. I'll have to keep my eye on the sprintsale as I haven't seen these on sale anywhere yet. Really enjoying this thread, Rob. Keep up the good work.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    robbyras:

Undercrown - 1 Vote
    Warlock - 1 Vote

I'm probably going to fire up around 1pm Pacific time... so the voting is open for another hour
    What a load of crap - I voted for the Warlock FOUR TIMES MYSELF!!! I demand a recount!!!

But would settle for you reviewing the Warlock next... ;-)

The Sniper:
    robbyras:

Undercrown - 1 Vote
    Warlock - 1 Vote

What a load of crap - I voted for the Warlock FOUR TIMES MYSELF!!! I demand a recount!!!

But would settle for you reviewing the Warlock next... ;-)

HA! I'll see what I can do... It's a corona so I may be able to fit it in tomorrow...
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    Very nice review! Thanks man. This is my top "got to get a hold of one now" cigar!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Another fine review which has caused me to "need" to go shopping. The undercrown sounds like a winner.
    HMMMM I was interested before but now REALLY want to get ahold of one!
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    Rob fantastic read brother, it put this squarely on my screen and now I'm begging to try one lol... this should be FANTASTIC when I can finally get one! Thanks a TON Rob great great job ;)
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 345
    great review. i had my wife grab me 2 yesterday while she was xmas shopping. fired one up last night. i totally enjoyed it, great stick. great prices online too. i think she paid 9.50 each at the b&m thou. ill be popping on a box. i bet the age nicely too.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    fuentejps:
    great review. i had my wife grab me 2 yesterday while she was xmas shopping. fired one up last night. i totally enjoyed it, great stick. great prices online too. i think she paid 9.50 each at the b&m thou. ill be popping on a box. i bet the age nicely too.
    Your wife went to a B&M while shopping and bought you cigars? Keep her.
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 345
    yep, same wife that let me cut a 5 ft tall hole in the dining room wall for my in wall humi, that her father built for me. shes for sure a keeper.
    beatnic:
    fuentejps:
    Your wife went to a B&M while shopping and bought you cigars? Keep her.
    Warlock by Altadis
    Wrapper: Ecuadoran Cubano
    Vitola: Corona 5 1/2 x 55
    Time in Humi: 3 months

Prelight: It's a simple looking cigar with a simple black band. I do like the design of the band, for whatever that's worth. The wrapper was clean except for one rather noticeable vein running top right to bottom left. The wrapper was peppery to the nose and offered little sweetness. I clipped the cap with my Xi cutter and met a slightly tight draw. The prelight draw presented some peppery notes as well, but little else.

2011-11-02_14-14-51_693

Beginning: I toasted the foot with a single flame torch and the lighting process was simple. The first few draws were pleasant. Some peppery notes and a little cocoa were present. They gave way shortly to a burnt wood flavor that I was unimpressed with. I actually had to set the stick down and take a phone call, so it went out on me. I cleaned it up a little and fired it up again. I like to relight with matches, another of the strange habits I have picked up for no apparent reason. It actually picked up nicely from there. The cocoa and pepper notes returned and I thought I was in for a nice smoke.

Middle: It mellowed significantly about 2 inches in. This was a disappointment. It seemed that most of the flavors were gone. Every 3-4 puffs I'd get the big flavors again and think "OK, here we go." But they would die away and leave me with the burnt wood flavor again.

End: The only reason I got this war was because I was reading my book and it got really engrossing. the smoke became an afterthought, but I was attentive to it. The pattern over 3-4 bad puffs and one really nice one continued.

2011-11-02_14-59-24_776

Final Thoughts: This was my second Warlock and I remember enjoying the first one. Either my palette has changed over the last six months (which I'm sure it has, for better or worse) of I got a sticker (which I think I did) or some combination of the two. I'm not going to give scores and whatnot this time because I feel it will be unfair. I think I have another of these guys resting and I will revisit it soon to see if I truly got a bad stick or if it's just a bad stick.

Hopefully my next stick will provide more fodder for review than this one did. Thanks for reading!
  • michaelharveymichaelharvey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 201
    ill be waiting to see your review with scores...havent had one of these but eh who knows. it all rides on your review, i know thats a lot of pressure......LMAO
    Check out the Camacho Triple Maduro review here RobbyRasReviews.com

• kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Nice review ..... I think I have one of these, I have to go look. Either way it sounds like one to be enjoyed.
    D**n you Rob! I am all fired up to try the LA Preferido bc of your review a while back and now I have another on the must try list. This is a very troubling state of affairs...and competely your fault.
    dowjr1:
    D**n you Rob! I am all fired up to try the LA Preferido bc of your review a while back and now I have another on the must try list. This is a very troubling state of affairs...and competely your fault.
    I have one of each with your name on them... next time we work a deal, they will be included... sound good?
    Diesel Unlimited
    Wrapper: Honduras - Habano
    Vitola: d.X (Belicoso) 5.7 x 56
    Blender: AJ Fernandez
    Time in Humi: 10 months

This is the 4th stick I have smoked from a box I purchased about a year ago on the Box Bedlam deals they used to run here. I can't find the exact date of purchase, but it had to be in Jan or Feb of this year.

Prelight: This is a heavy looking stick and it feels pretty substantial in hand. I like the simple foot band and the Habano wrapper is nearly flawless. The wrapper smells strongly of pepper. I clipped the cap with my Xi cutter at an angle. Not sure where I picked that up, but I tend to clip torps at an angle. The draw was easy and tasted of pepper, leather and some woody notes.
    2011-11-05_15-35-20_684

Beginning: The like was simple with a single flame torch and the initial draw proved to be a blast of pepper. I haven't really been smoking peppery sticks lately so this really slapped me around for a few minutes. The leather is really the base flavor for me here. Everything else seemed to play off of it. The first few inches were pepper and leather for sure.

2011-11-05_16-03-58_950

Middle: Everything calmed down in the middle. The pepper was like the initial chase scene in a movie that grabs your interest, the middle of this stick was like the character development. Leather was still present but we got a few new notes. Some woody flavors and a very mild sweetness played throughout. The ash on this baby was super strong. It held on well past the halfway point and the burn was pretty precise.

2011-11-05_16-21-47_603

End: Here comes the final chase scene. The pepper came back and the strength started to kick in. I'm not sure if it was the lack of a decent meal or what, but I could feel this one. The sweetness was replaced by a bitterness that I enjoyed, at first. With about an inch to go the bitterness took over and I was forced to put it out.

Construction: As I mentioned before, the draw was great, the burn was pretty straight and the ash never wanted to break off. I was forced to ash it about an hour in. Pretty crazy. It reminded me of the ash on a Nub.

Scores:
    Smoke Time: 95 minutes, but probably had another 25 min or so left on it.
    Price Point: 10 - I think these are priced perfectly. Especially with all the deals flying around. I paid like $3.50 per stick on my box purchase.
    Appearance: 10 - It just looks tough. Simple foot band wrapped around a beefy stick and the torpedo shape makes it look like a weapon.
    Construction: 10 - Perfect.
    Draw: 9.5 - Close to perfect.
    Flavor: 8.75 - I don't know if my palette has changed a lot or what, but I remember enjoying this cigar a lot more than I did today. Now that isn't to say that I hated it, but the bitter ending left me feeling, well, a little bitter.

I have these on hand and I probably always will. It was great 75% of the cigar was really pleasant but no happy ending. I will probably fire another one up in a few days to see if the bitterness remains. It may be that they need more rest or have had too much. Who knows, but I still love AJ and I still enjoy this stick. For a full body, full strength everydayish kind of smoke, you can;t do much better. Thanks for reading.
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    The d.x is my main $3 go to. I got a box for $51 and still have that whole box + quite a few more. I don't notice the pepper as much but the sweetness and full profile I enjoy. The construction is always top notch.
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    Just a side note Rob... when I smoke a beli/torp stick that I enjoy a dominant characteristic in (i.e. sweetness, or spice) I cut them at an angle too. It floods that side of the tounge with the smoke first, making the dominant flavor stand out even more.

with a very well balanced beli/torp, I cut straight, so that I can have the smoke hit a small area of the center of my palate first and then spread, so that I can really experience everything fully.

I honestly don't know if this is a "real" or "factual" thing, or if it's just in my head... but it works for me. lol

just wanted to throw that out there, and see if you've (or anybody) noticed that or done that intentionally. Hell, even if it doesn't work for you, try it and see if you pick up on what I am talking about.
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    Rob, I haven't posted on this thread for a while but you have been doing some fantastic reviews, and your notation and breakdowns make it flow well and track very nicely! I am getting a lit out of your reads and look forward to what you have coming up next! You mention that the Anejo is your top echelon benchmark, I've had nearly every Fuente at this point that you can find somewhat easily, but never even had one of those in my box, let alone out fire to one. With all the hype I've been hearing it seems like I'm missing something and need to do my homework and find one, would you agree based on knowing my flavor profile?? Thanks brother!!!
    90+ Irishman:
    Rob, I haven't posted on this thread for a while but you have been doing some fantastic reviews, and your notation and breakdowns make it flow well and track very nicely! I am getting a lit out of your reads and look forward to what you have coming up next! You mention that the Anejo is your top echelon benchmark, I've had nearly every Fuente at this point that you can find somewhat easily, but never even had one of those in my box, let alone out fire to one. With all the hype I've been hearing it seems like I'm missing something and need to do my homework and find one, would you agree based on knowing my flavor profile?? Thanks brother!!!
    Thanks for the feedback... I've been hearing from folks on this thread and via PM and I really appreciate you guys reading my thoughts and commenting... I tend to smoke alone mostly so this is a nice medium to "discuss" different aspects of the experience...

yes, you'll love the Anejo... I had my first about 7 months ago in Ireland and loved it... the generosity of folks around here has afforded me the opportunity to not only try one, but build up a decent collection... I'm sure one will make it's way from my humi into yours... but yes, if you've ever enjoyed a Maduro, you love the Anejo... i'm sure there are better smokes out there, but of the sticks that are regularly available, this one is the best I've had... maybe i'll review one some day... But the next smokes on my list are Epernay '09 Le Ferme and EP Carrillo Short Run
  • howtobasshowtobass Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 589
    Nice review! I didn't have a problem with the bitterness at the end like you had when I smoked one. Maybe it's because of the different size or the cut? Thats where my question would be. I actually liked it so much, it made it into my favorites. I loved being able to follow along with you during your movie. Great connection! LOL. Thanks again. Next time i'll bring some pop-corn.
    howtobass:
    Nice review! I didn't have a problem with the bitterness at the end like you had when I smoked one. Maybe it's because of the different size or the cut? Thats where my question would be. I actually liked it so much, it made it into my favorites. I loved being able to follow along with you during your movie. Great connection! LOL. Thanks again. Next time i'll bring some pop-corn.
    Yeah, I got on a little bit of a tangent there, but it made sense to me at the time... yeah, that was the first time I had a problem with the bitterness... I'll be revisiting in a week or so... we'll see how it goes... thanks for the feedback!