Home Ratings & Reviews

Rip's Cigar Journal

Comments

• rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    You can't go wrong with any Padron even with the regular line. It has such a unique taste.
    Bigshizza:
    Thanks to Lee and Mike, I'm a Padron lover fo sho. It's just a great experience having one of these. I think I'll sell a kidney and get a box!!
    Thanks again Glen. They are all great cigars. About 1926...you may want to smoke one #9 that might change your mind LOL. #9 is the best in 1926 IMPO. I need to smoke them all- I just love Padron.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Another well done review. The '26 and 80th along with the FR are the only one's I smoke, though the 26 is one I probably won't buy again just because I will get more FR and 80ths.. lol.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Oh, don't get me wrong I do like the '26. It is just I'd rather smoke a family reserve or an 80th maduro. Though one things I wish I jumped on was the special release for a shop in Florida. I really wanted those, just missed the boat. I haven't had a number 9 though but I have enjoyed the '26's I've had. I'm really digging the FR 46 and 85 though, been through more boxes than I care to tell, too expensive, lol.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    rzaman:
    Thanks Daniel...why don't you pick up the cigar you want me to review next? Let's make it your fourth. Please let me know.
    danielzreyes:
    Yet another cigar that I've had. That makes 3. One of my favs. Lovely review Rip.
    Wow ok awesome. Let's see, how about a lancero? MF or DPG blue. I've been experimenting with lanceros a lot lately and these 2 so far are easily in my top five. Thanks Rip!
    Sorry buddy...I do not have DPG blue. What is MF? My lancero collections are Cuban Cohiba, Trinidad, Opus X, Forbidden X, LFD Cameroon, CAO XO. Could you please give me little more choice? No matter what, you will pick my next review.
    danielzreyes:
    rzaman:
    Thanks Daniel...why don't you pick up the cigar you want me to review next? Let's make it your fourth. Please let me know.
    danielzreyes:
    Yet another cigar that I've had. That makes 3. One of my favs. Lovely review Rip.
    Wow ok awesome. Let's see, how about a lancero? MF or DPG blue. I've been experimenting with lanceros a lot lately and these 2 so far are easily in my top five. Thanks Rip!
    rzaman:
    Sorry buddy...I do not have DPG blue. What is MF? My lancero collections are Cuban Cohiba, Trinidad, Opus X, Forbidden X, LFD Cameroon, CAO XO. Could you please give me little more choice? No matter what, you will pick my next review.
    danielzreyes:
    rzaman:
    danielzreyes:
    My Father. Well with the "beautiful women" you have listed, I've only smoked, none lol. Let me tap in my Isom box.
    Here's a few of what I have(and also what I have smoked already), Cohiba Esplendidos, SLR Robusto, Ramon Allones robusto, Partagas Serie D no. 4, .....
    Ok...I have my father but not Lancero. Would you like me to review MF Limited Edition 2010, 2011?
    danielzreyes:
    rzaman:
    danielzreyes:
    rzaman:
    danielzreyes:
    My Father. Well with the "beautiful women" you have listed, I've only smoked, none lol. Let me tap in my Isom box.
    Here's a few of what I have(and also what I have smoked already), Cohiba Esplendidos, SLR Robusto, Ramon Allones robusto, Partagas Serie D no. 4, .....
    rzaman:
    Ok...I have my father but not Lancero. Would you like me to review MF Limited Edition 2010, 2011?
    danielzreyes:
    rzaman:
    danielzreyes:
    rzaman:
    danielzreyes:
    Oh ok awesome! I've had the LE 2011. I remember it being a monster of a smoke lol.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    Hey Rip, can you review the Partagas series D #4 please
    Ok Jim...I will review this on Sunday for you.
    Bigshizza:
    Daniel, I will review MF LE 2011 for you this Saturday.
    danielzreyes:
    rzaman:
    danielzreyes:
    rzaman:
    danielzreyes:
    rzaman:
    danielzreyes:
    Oh ok awesome! I've had the LE 2011. I remember it being a monster of a smoke lol.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    rzaman:
    Bigshizza:
    In my limited CC experience so far, this one was my favorite. Absolutely delicious. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it.
    Partagas series D no. 4 cigars have been in production since 1975. It is one of the best Cuban cigar. The one I am going to review is the LE 2010 release. This is cigar is simply getting better and better.
    SleevePlz:
    rzaman:
    Bigshizza:
    In my limited CC experience so far, this one was my favorite. Absolutely delicious. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    rzaman:
    Bigshizza:
    Thanks a lot.
  • blurrblurr Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 962
    This is why I always read his reviews. Very few smokers enjoy Cubans without taking on the biased "Cuban cigar is da greatest" mind set. I know rip loves Cubans but he's a true cigar lover who seems to love cigars instead of just saying I love ONLY CCs. While my CC collection is young I appreciate the difference but I'll never be a CC only guy, I love dipping in my boxes of CCs but there are so many flavors out there why restrict yourself. I just look forward and pray in my lifetime we can get over the embargo and see the ultimatum of cigars being blended to include a few Cuban leaves in blends. Ah my fantasy world, thanks a lot for ruining it Fidel and America.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    blurr:
    This is why I always read his reviews. Very few smokers enjoy Cubans without taking on the biased "Cuban cigar is da greatest" mind set. I know rip loves Cubans but he's a true cigar lover who seems to love cigars instead of just saying I love ONLY CCs. While my CC collection is young I appreciate the difference but I'll never be a CC only guy, I love dipping in my boxes of CCs but there are so many flavors out there why restrict yourself. I just look forward and pray in my lifetime we can get over the embargo and see the ultimatum of cigars being blended to include a few Cuban leaves in blends. Ah my fantasy world, thanks a lot for ruining it Fidel and America.
    imo what happens is as you smoke you and your palette changes, you either go the full bodied give me a strong aZz ballsy cigar or medium route. ISOM is not for everyone, but what they do is give you an experience of what a proper finish is on the back of the tongue. Many heap cigars have good flavors, but the finish is long, bitter, and can be terrible. Once you experince the finish of a good aged ISOM, you start to notice the poor quality of the other regions....and the good quality. It has helped me identify what NC and DC cigars are better quality tobaccos honestly. Now I still like an occasional UHC or shorty, and I love MF with age, but the pice point of good NC/DC is much higher, while ISOM need age...hence the dilemma. So now when it comes to smoking Non ISOM, I am looking for the smokes that go e me that quality finish. To me, there is no comparison, but I cannot buy aged ISOM regular and I enjoy Avo, quesada as of late, and other oddballs like LHC Sumatra for some reason. You can get good quality tobacco from any region for a price....I just find I'd rather have 3-4 upmann, VR, etc..., then one Opus. I have sold most of my nc/DC other then the few I like. I really dig what quesada is doing right now. The Oktoberfest, Molotov, domus Magnus, and Ezra Zion are excellent smokes man.
    I can't wait for that day as well but we cannot predict how the whole thing will work out. Some people say, when Cuba opens up they will still not allow their tobacco to go outside Cuba instead allow outsider to open factories in Cuba. Some say, once they open up, there will be little control over the export and import. However, I do know what Padron has A plan. They are planning to open up a new factory in Cuba and will produce cigar with 100% Cuban tobacco but will not blend with Nicaraguan tobacco. In a nut shell, they will launch a new Cuban line. Again, it is hard to predict what will happen then.

Now little bit of politics about the real world. The people who left Cuba and migrated to the US, some of them think they will go back and claim their properties. That will not happen. Even the US government will not support it because that will create a political and social chaos. After Cuba open up, the US policy will be to restore social stability and try to establish a stable democratic government sooner rather than later. However, my personal opinion is when a country opens up after a long restricted political and social environment, they simply cannot be stable quickly. We have learned from the history of Soviet Perestroika and Glasnost until now. Another current example is the on-going Arab Spring. Democracy and social reform is a process not a piece of toy. Some of our policy makers do not understand that and end up with a situation like Iraq and Afghanistan. We like it or not but the reality is- there are certain elements in life which requires time to get fixed.
    blurr:
    Dustin, you said that very well and I agree about the aging part. In fact, I am smoking a three years aged JDN Dark Antano cigar which I rarely smoke but I am enjoying it because it completely mellow out.
    catfishbluezz:
    blurr:
    imo what happens is as you smoke you and your palette changes, you either go the full bodied give me a strong aZz ballsy cigar or medium route. ISOM is not for everyone, but what they do is give you an experience of what a proper finish is on the back of the tongue. Many heap cigars have good flavors, but the finish is long, bitter, and can be terrible. Once you experince the finish of a good aged ISOM, you start to notice the poor quality of the other regions....and the good quality. It has helped me identify what NC and DC cigars are better quality tobaccos honestly. Now I still like an occasional UHC or shorty, and I love MF with age, but the pice point of good NC/DC is much higher, while ISOM need age...hence the dilemma. So now when it comes to smoking Non ISOM, I am looking for the smokes that go e me that quality finish. To me, there is no comparison, but I cannot buy aged ISOM regular and I enjoy Avo, quesada as of late, and other oddballs like LHC Sumatra for some reason. You can get good quality tobacco from any region for a price....I just find I'd rather have 3-4 upmann, VR, etc..., then one Opus. I have sold most of my nc/DC other then the few I like. I really dig what quesada is doing right now. The Oktoberfest, Molotov, domus Magnus, and Ezra Zion are excellent smokes man.

The original My Father cigar was secretly blended by Jamie Garcia (JG), son of Don Pepin Garcia (DPG) in Tabacalera Cubana, Esteli, Nicaragua factory. JG wanted to create something special to honor his Father DPG. JG couldn't keep the secret that long from DPG but the time DPG discovers the news, JG was ready with the blend. The Don Pepin My Father Limited Edition 2011 is a follow up to the extremely limited My Father 2010 cigars. Only 3,500 boxes were made of these babies, they are a true collector's item for those who can get their hands on them. The 2011 version of the My Father Edicion Limitada comes in exquisitely crafted boxes of 12. This cigar is carefully blended with a selection of aged Nicaraguan tobacco, a specialty tobacco used only in this blend that Pepin is growing in special area on one of his farms, the famed Cuban seed Pelo de Oro tobacco which provides this blend with loads of rich flavor. The Edicion Limitada 2011 provides the expected spice & earthy flavors found in Pepin’s blending style. The cigar is finished off with a rich HabanoRosado/ Criollo hybrid wrapper adding both pepper and richness to this smoke. Limited supply, packaged in beautiful numbered boxes of 12.[Source: various on-line articles]
    Photobucket
    This a beautiful cigar with two regal golden bands. The wrapper is dark chocolate brown, toothy, oily and veiny with triple cap. It has a very elegant look and feels good in hand. I like Toro size because it gives me plenty of time to enjoy smoking a cigar. The wrapper has cedar, sweet, earthy, leather, mild chocolate scent on the foot. The construction is perfect. The draw and burn is perfect. It is a medium bodied cigar. The flavor and aroma profile is a combination of cedar, earth, coffee, dark chocolate, espresso, nutmeg, kiss of sweet caramel, black pepper, spicy red pepper, aromatic cloves spiciness, nuts. It is extremely complex with layers and layers of aroma and long finish from the start to finish. It not like some other Pepin's overpowering spicy and harsh cigars. The ash is flaky- which is a sign of aged tobacco.
    Photobucket Photobucket
    Wrapper: Habano Rosado/ Criollo Hybrid Nicaraguan

Binder: Nicaragua

Filler: 5-8 years aged Pelo De Oro and other Nicaraguan grown filler
    Photobucket
    1/3: It starts with a blast of heavy black and red pepper spice with strong leather at the back. The first puff woke me up right away with a spicy thunder and light. Today the sky in Managua is crystal clear, blue and bright with plenty of soothing, wavy tropical breeze. Thanks to my friend Daniel Reyes who encouraged me to review this cigar. It is a perfect cigar for the perfect day. At the beginning there is unpleasant harshness at the back. Within few puffs the harshness completely goes away and taken over by a smooth red peppery spiciness. There is a strong cedar, earth, dark chocolate (with hazelnut aroma at the back), coffee, sweet-spicy clove flavors with sweet caramel, leathery note at the back. The top of my tongue feel the bite of red-black peppery spice, the middle of my tongue is full of thick, creamy smoke with above flavors and aroma, the back of my tongue can feel the pleasant sweet-spiciness coated with a raisin like aroma shield-wow! During retrohale I feel the dominant red chili spiciness with black peppery finish through the nose. The beauty of this cigar is the complex spiciness, sweet caramel with long finish. I am in love.
    Photobucket
    2/3: Moving into the second third, the spiciness became more subtle with smoot roundness. In fact, I am enjoying this even more. This is where the cigar gets an extra point in complexity. The 1/3 flavor and aroma profile is still there but the dominant flavors are creamy espresso (nutmeg hint at the back), aromatic sweet-spicy clove, dark spicy chocolate (just the Swiss LINDT chili dark chocolate) with tons of thick nuttiness at the back. This is cigar simply gets better with each puff. There is also a mild sweet vanilla layers but it comes just next to the creamy espresso flavor. I am amazed with the complexity, flavor, aroma, finish, medium strength and long finish. I do complain about Pepin's over power and spiciness in many of his cigars but he did it right with this limited release with perfect balance. At this stage, the cigar is all about balanced espresso, coffee, spicy dark chocolate flavors and complex spiciness with long finish. The top of my tongue still has the red chili spiciness, the middle of my tongue is full of creamy, smooth, round, mouthful texture with above flavors and aroma, the back of my tongue has a subtle tobacco sweet-bitterness. I simply cannot not ask more from a cigar at this moment. I had a very rough and stressful work week and I am truly enjoying my weekend morning with a great smoke. Pepin is one of the best blenders in Nicaragua along with Orlando Padron and he proved it with this limited edition release. Until now I didn't even had to touch up once- what a great construction and razor sharp burn. The sky in Managua is covered with white cloud and hiding the sun behind it. The day is still bright but created a quiet, peaceful moment with bird song. Someone is playing tennis and I can hear the tock tock hitting the tennis ball noise. Am I hypnotized by the nature or the cigar puts me to this hypnotizing moment? I don't know but my mind if full of peace. How lucky I am to born in this beautiful world to enjoy such a great cigar.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: The spiciness tone down a lot at this stage but the creamy and smooth black pepperiness through the nose still keeps me awake. It is a beautiful moment where I am captivated by a wonderful smoke and surrounded nature. The best part is, still the cigar is holding the full flavor and aroma profile of the 1/3 and 2/3 marks. Few Nicaraguan cigars can remain super complex like this along with Padron special releases. Sorry, I didn't mean to put down this cigar with Padron...I am just simply saying it to emphasize the greatness of this smoke. This is a unique cigar even compares to some Cubans. Sometime we need to put the politics and business aside to keep our mind open. Usually, I need to drink plenty of water when I smoke a Nicaragua spicy cigar but in this case I am not drinking that much because I want to leave the sweet-spicy-subtle tobacco bitterness in my mouth. It is entirely enjoyable. The top of my tongue has a zing of spiciness with a hazelnut note at the back; the back of my tongue has the zing of sweet-bitter subtle tobacco taste. The strength is still medium thought it tries to touch the full body strength but come back to medium at the same time. The dominant flavor is more into coffee, sweet dark spicy chocolate-espresso, sweet caramel with tons of nutty aroma at the back. The sweet black peppery spiciness through the nose is enjoyable and heavenly. My entire mouth is full of sweet-spice with tingling feeling. What a great cigar!

Final thought: I bought a box of My Father Limited Edition 2011 and do not hesitate to say I did not like it this much when I smoked it first. However, I am rewarded by the year plus aging now. I always put LE 2010 release rolled and bunched by Pepin and Jamie Garcia ahead of 2011 but now I put 2011 ahead of 2010 though it was not rolled and bunched by these two cigar legends. This is definitely a better cigar. It has a nice crispy spiciness which captivated me with the charm of magical caramel sweetness. This cigar is the example of how a spicy cigar can be so complex, smooth and enjoyable. This is where the cigar declares its uniqueness. Sorry guys, I am getting emotional and out of words. I am considering myself the luckiest man on earth for having this great cigar at this great moment. It is time to stop typing and captivate the moment. Thank you!

Note: I dedicate this review to one of our great BOTL- Daniel Reyes.
    Photobucket
  • MVW67MVW67 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,447
    What a great review as always, been looking forward to it! Thank you
    This was by far your best review. Not because it was a request be me, but you were very in depth in your review. I can tell that you put your heart and soul in this review. It was like you brought that cigar to life by bringing the cigar, your surroundings and yourself together. It's not often when I smoke a cigar I infuse life together with the smoke at that very moment. It's reviews like this that make me really appreciate the way of the leaf.
    My friend, I appreciate you dedicating this cigar to me. Beautiful review Rip. Beautiful read.
    Thanks Mike...I appreciate your kind words.
    MVW67:
    What a great review as always, been looking forward to it! Thank you
    Thanks Daniel for your nod to superlative. Sometimes it happens to me. I get lost into smoking and to the metaphysical world.
    danielzreyes:
    This was by far your best review. Not because it was a request be me, but you were very in depth in your review. I can tell that you put your heart and soul in this review. It was like you brought that cigar to life by bringing the cigar, your surroundings and yourself together. It's not often when I smoke a cigar I infuse life together with the smoke at that very moment. It's reviews like this that make me really appreciate the way of the leaf.
    My friend, I appreciate you dedicating this cigar to me. Beautiful review Rip. Beautiful read.
    Nice review. Haven't had that cigar but haven't been a fan of the MF line. I do like that connie wrapper one though. Every time I read your reviews I can imagine how funny it would be to watch you set those shots up. Seems like some of it is a balancing act. Never the less nice photos!
    I am not a fan of Pepin's cigars except the edition limited line. You are correct it takes some time to shot those pictures. indeed, it is a balancing act LOL. I have three parts in my life- family, work and cigars. So I have plenty of time with cigars. When I say family, I also mean spend time at home and enjoy my long list of hobbies. Thanks for your kind words Glen. I posted some picture of Nicaragua in my Dairy of Nicaragua thread. When are you coming to visit?
    phobicsquirrel:
    Nice review. Haven't had that cigar but haven't been a fan of the MF line. I do like that connie wrapper one though. Every time I read your reviews I can imagine how funny it would be to watch you set those shots up. Seems like some of it is a balancing act. Never the less nice photos!
    lol, yeah that is the question. plan was hitting up the DR this october-ish BUT we are getting a house instead. So looking like next year. I told my wife I wanted to go to Nicaragua as well but now I really want to go since we could get together. Things never seem to work out seamlessly for me. But I really want to get down there.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    Many thanks for this review. I have a few of these tucked away, haven't touched them yet, but I may break one of 'em out for New Years Day. Great review, thanks again for letting us enjoy it.
    Your welcome David. If you wait until the New Year it will simply get better. I appreciate your kind words.
    JDH:
    Many thanks for this review. I have a few of these tucked away, haven't touched them yet, but I may break one of 'em out for New Years Day. Great review, thanks again for letting us enjoy it.

Partagas is among the oldest extant brands of cigars, established in Havana in 1845. The name is used today by two independent and competing entities; one produced on the island of Cuba for Habanos SA- the Cuban state-owned tobacco company. The Spaniard Don Jaime Partagás y Ravelo had worked in the Cuban tobacco business for years before establishing his own factory, Real Fábricas de Tabaco Partagás in 1845, on 60 Industria Street in Havana, one of the largest of its time. The name, which translates as "Partagás Royal Tobacco Factory," was supposedly chosen because of Don Jaime's status as cigar supplier to various European and Asian nobility. Don Jaime owned many of the best plantations in the Vuelta Abajo tobacco-growing region of Cuba; being able to choose from among the finest tobaccos on the island made the brand incredibly successful. Don Jaime is also believed to have experimented with various methods of fermenting and aging tobacco and is legendarily credited with hiring the first lector to read to and entertain the cigar rollers as they worked.
    Photobucket
    Don Jaime was murdered (supposedly by a jealous rival he'd been vying with in one of his love affairs) on one of his plantations in either 1864 or 1868 and his son José Partagás took over the business. Later the factory and brand were sold to banker José A. Bance, who in turn sold to Cifuentes, Fernández y Cía in 1900. In 1916, Don José Fernández apparently left the firm and Ramón Cifuentes Llano joined with Francisco Pego Pita to form Cifuentes, Pego y Cía. In 1927, it acquired the rights to the Ramón Allones brand; at some unknown point the factory began to produce a brand in its own name, Cifuentes.Ramon Cifuentes died in 1938 and Pego in 1940, leaving the Cifuentes family solely in control of the increasingly prestigious factory and brand, which renamed the company Cifuentes y Cía. In 1954, the Cifuentes family acquired the Bolívar and La Gloria Cubana brands from José F. Rocha and moved their production to the Cifuentes factory. By 1958 it was second only to the H. Upmann Company in exporting Cuban cigars, accounting for over a quarter of all exported tobacco goods. Before and after the Cuban Revolution, the authentic Cuban-produced Partagás has been one of the most revered and highest-selling cigars in the world. By the middle 1990s it remained the second leading selling Cuban brand, following Montecristo, with annual sales of approximately 10 million cigars.[Source: Wikipedia and other on-line articles]
    Photobucket
    It is a Robusto extra size cigar was released in 2010. This is the fifth time that Habanos has opted for the Serie D label on a limited edition Partagás cigar [Serie D No. 2 (2003), Serie D No. 1 (2004), Serie D No. 3 (2006), and Serie D No. 5 (2008)] which makes sense considering the popularity of the iconic Serie D No. 4. The wrapper is dark reddish brown all oat like copper color. The wrapper is oily, toothy and veiny One of our BOTL Jim (Bigshizza) asked me to review a Partagas series D #4. My regular Partagas D # 4 is new so I have decided to smoke the LE 2010. The differences between regular Partagas series D and LE is the aged tobacco. All LEs are rolled at least with two years of aged tobacco and the regular Partagas D cigars have been rolled with regular tobacco. I always enjoy a Cuban at least with two years aging on it. Other than that they are the same cigar with similar tobaccos. It has a dry wood, sweet spicy scent on it. The cold draw is perfect- not too loose nor too tight with a mild damp musty hint. The flavor and aroma profile is a combination of dry wood, earth, chopped grass, milk chocolate, cream shortbread, biscuits, fruit cake, cocoa, black pepper (I have to mention that this cigar is one of those few Cubans which has more black peppery bite than white pepper), cinnamon, clove, nuts (walnut) with leathery finish and tons of signature Cuban aromatic fruity-flowery aromas at the back. It is straight a medium bodied cigar with perfect construction with good burn. The entire smoke has a velvety texture with delicate hints and aroma at the back. Is has a extreme complexity with seamless long finish. It is perfectly balanced all the way from the start to finish. Overal,l a perfect example of a premium Cuban cigar.

Wrapper: Cuba

Binder: Cuba

Filler: Cuba
    Photobucket
    1/3: It starts with a blast of dry wood, freshly chopped grass, damp earth and delicate and soft black pepper spice. First few puffs have a super mild harshness at the back but it goes away with 5-6 th puffs completely. This cigar is still maturing and the sign of further aging potential. The flavor is full of sweet- spicy cinnamon, clove, creamy milk chocolate with slight leather finish, tons of walnut and signature Cuban aromatic fruity- flowery aromas at the back- wow! The smoke is dense, lush and extremely delicate and velvety in the palet. The top of my tongue can feel the delicate black pepper spice, the middle of my tongue is full of cream, velvety and lush smoke with above flavors and aroma, the back of tongue has practically no aftertatse. This is absolutely charming smoke with tons of aromas at the back. It is performing just as a top Cuban cigar. The complexity is full with smooth long and balanced finish. I am also enjoying the black peppery spiciness and sweet-spicy clove note at the back through the nose.
    Photobucket
    2/3: At this stage, the cigar continuously changing its complexity with 75% of 1/3 flavors and aroma profile. The dominant flavors are creamy milk chocolate, biscuit, fruitcake, cocoa with endless creamy shortbread, walnut, aromatic fruity-flowery notes and aroma at the back. The above flavors are nicely sealed and coated with the creamy shortbread, walnut and aromatic fruity- flowery shield around it. The middle of my tongue is very busy with the velvety texture and complex flavors and aroma. The top of my tongue feels the cloves kind of sweet-spiciness but during retrohale I can also feel the delicate touch of black peppery spiciness through the nose. The cocoa, biscuit, fruitcake and the endless creamy shortbread aromas are endless and dense. I found slight tobacco bite at the back of my tongue but it is not harsh and undermine to taste. The strength is somewhere medium to full at the end of 2/3 but definitely not full yet. The complexity of flavor and aroma is absolutely stunning with balanced and delicate long finish. There is a mild vanilla element at this stage along with creamy shortbread aroma. A good cigar should always perform at 2/3 stage with balanced complexity and this cigar pass the test with 100 score. This is how a top Cuban cigar should perform with superior complexity. The regular Partagas D #4 lack some of these elements and that is why I always go for the Limited Edition line. This is a true LE not an overhyped marketing band. A perfect 2/3 performance from a perfect Cuban cigar!
    Photobucket
    Final/3: The strength is close to full body and I am not getting any new flavosr and aroma out of it but can detect 80% of 1/3 and 2/3 flavor profile and aroma. The cigar lost a point here in complexity. However, it doesn't undermine the superior complexity and balanced long finish of the cigar. This is also a reason why I will not score it more than 94 because 95 or 95+ score can given only when a cigar add some new flavors and aroma at this stage. The smoke is dense, velvety and extremely complex with long finish. The dominant flavor is rich dark chocolate, cocoa with layers and layers of biscuit, fruit cake, creamy shortbread and sweet and aromatic fruity-flowery aroma at the back. Again, I am getting some super mild tobacco harshness at the back but not unpleasant. It didn't give me a wow factor at this stage.

Final thought: I bought the box in the summer of 2010 in Madrid and have been aging patiently in my aging vault. This cigar definitely needs more aging so the super mild harshness at the back can be completely eliminated. It is extremely a complex smoke with long delicate finish. I enjoyed it from the start to finish. I will definitely buy more boxes and age them. In Partagas series D LE series, the LE 2003 and 2004 is more superior because of the longer aging. As I mention it earlier that LE series rolled with extra two years age. Cuban top tobaccos are rich and full of complexity. Cuban cigars meant to be aged. I love Partagas Series D. This is definitely one of the best and top Cuban in the market. Enjoy the rest of the Sunday. Thanks to Jim for reminding me to smoke this cigar.

Note: I dedicate this review to one of our great BOTL- JIM(BigShizza).
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    I had the pleasure of enjoying a Partagas D Limited while in Europe in the spring of 2011 (and a R&J Limited too). I cannot remember exactly why, nor could I express what I enjoyed as well as you have, but I gotta say that Partagas was THE best cigar I've ever had (but I have limited experience with Cubans).

Now for the trick question. IMO, the Padron '26 #2 is probably the best cigar legally avaliable to us here in the US. Since you definately have extensive experience with the best cigars in the world, and a gift for being able to describe them incredibly well, how would you compare the two?