Home Ratings & Reviews

Forum Blend Notes - Revist #1

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    JHewey:
    I smoked one last night. I agree with Ken's review of it. It wasn't bad but not great and am looking forward to the process getting it right.
    All right, I'll try one tomorrow to see what it has to offer..
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    I didn't purchase and I doubt I will, so not sure if I have a voice here, but I would think the cost would of been less for a rough draft, being that a guy could get a fiver of Diesel UHC's for around the same price.
    The Kid:
    I didn't purchase and I doubt I will, so not sure if I have a voice here, but I would think the cost would of been less for a rough draft, being that a guy could get a fiver of Diesel UHC's for around the same price.
    I don't know. Four bucks each for a specially made cigar, from the rollers table to my mailbox. Actually, back that last statement up a few years... From the time the seeds were planted. Seems like a fair deal to me, Nobody got rich on this one. It is worth it to me to smoke a cigar that few will ever experience. PM me and I will send you two. One for now and one for later. We can compare notes.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    I'm loyal to this forum and Alex for the platform they've provided us. I'll be honest, I probably won't like it, none of it was what I wanted from I remember, but I will damn sure enjoy smoking it and have no problem paying $25 for a fiver. This is a perfect example of the brotherhood. For all the money I've spent on bombs, gifts, trades, ad whatever else I've paid postage for the last year or so, the cost is nothing. Now...can we add some San Andreas please =]
  • bbass2bbass2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    If quality and value are that much of a concern to anyone then I would suggest just ordering a 5'er of Padron and not something created by votes from a bunch of people who have no idea what they're doing lol.

Here are some notes I jotted down as I smoked my first tonight.

Construction - seamless wrapper, but it was quite bumpy from underneath especially towards the cap. The draw throughout the entire smoke had very little resistance. Burn was quite wavy, but self correcting in first third then razor sharp till the end.

Flavor...First off there was a good amount of bitterness/harshness which I expected with it being so new and only a day or so off the truck. I smoked quite slow so it wasn't unbearable until the last third where it got really strong and the lack of flavor wasn't helping tone it down.
    The first third caught me off guard because I enjoyed it more than I was expecting. It was woodsy and a nice distinct roasted flavor (like something in a porter style beer maybe?) through the nose which I've only experienced in the LFD Colorado Oscuro. No surprise there since it's the same wrapper.
    The second third got weird. Out of nowhere the smoke just went to near flavorless. I have no idea what caused it and there were no other signs of change. It still smoked fine just very airy and no flavor. I stuck with it till about the beginning of the last third where the flavor started to pick back up a little bit, but nowhere near what it was during the first third. At this point the bitterness got too bad where it wasn't worth keeping it lit.
  • AVJimAVJim Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 438
    To give this stick a fair shake, how long should it rest? I just got mine and plan on letting them sit for at least a month (although I am temped to grab one). Fire a second in about 2 mos and so on..... what is everyone else planning?
    AVJim:
    To give this stick a fair shake, how long should it rest? I just got mine and plan on letting them sit for at least a month (although I am temped to grab one). Fire a second in about 2 mos and so on..... what is everyone else planning?
    ill probably wait a minimum of 6 weeks.
    Not sure what Loyalty has to do with this,, All I said is I was surprised they were as much as they were ,,,,,so am I to understand from the comments that you guys would of purchased the sticks regardless of the price?? (I Guess out of Loyalty???) or ( just to have a limited release)
    The Kid:
    Not sure what Loyalty has to do with this,, All I said is I was surprised they were as much as they were ,,,,,so am I to understand from the comments that you guys would of purchased the sticks regardless of the price?? (I Guess out of Loyalty???) or ( just to have a limited release)
    they made the blend for us by us, so that's why I'm willing to pay a reasonable price for it. Would I buy it at $7-$10 a stick? I'd think twice as I am not a huge AJ fan anymore. When you consider how much BOTL blends are going for, that's reasonable IMO.
    catfishbluezz:
    The Kid:
    they made the blend for us by us, so that's why I'm willing to pay a reasonable price for it. Would I buy it at $7-$10 a stick? I'd think twice as I am not a huge AJ fan anymore. When you consider how much BOTL blends are going for, that's reasonable IMO.
    K,, nuff said,, sorry didn't mean to take this thread on a tangent.. and thanks for the reviews guys!!!
  • VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    Kid I think Im with you here, or at least we're both in the same ballpark. I TOTALLY appreciate them doing this for us, its a cool thing and way to feel involved. This said, it is a company and while we benefit from this----so do they because we will buy the sticks and continue our usual sales in the process...not to mention just the idea is good word of mouth advertising for CCom. This is why I don't understand they, at times, blind loyalty to the place. Believe me it is appreciated, but its a business decision and a money maker----no one is losing on this on our behalf.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    Vulchor:
    Kid I think Im with you here, or at least we're both in the same ballpark. I TOTALLY appreciate them doing this for us, its a cool thing and way to feel involved. This said, it is a company and while we benefit from this----so do they because we will buy the sticks and continue our usual sales in the process...not to mention just the idea is good word of mouth advertising for CCom. This is why I don't understand they, at times, blind loyalty to the place. Believe me it is appreciated, but its a business decision and a money maker----no one is losing on this on our behalf.
    Hey, win-win are the best kind of deals. I think $4-5 is fair for a "sample run" of smokes. Even if I dont like it, I think it's neat to have one. Just me though, and I can definitely understand anyone not wanting to lay down bucks on a stick that may not be good. You are absolutely right, ccom certainly will benefit (otherwise they wouldnt be doing it!!).
  • curtpickcurtpick Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,600
    I'll let them rest, smoke a few, THEN will give some feedback. Thinking its going to be "perfect" is asking a bit much. I'm just thankful that Alex even thought of us. And in my opinion the price is right.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    I don't even know why we're having a conversation about value or the price of these. I won't dignify that with any further comments on it.*shakes head*

As for the cigar. The wrapper was beautiful colorado, in the sunlight it looked like it was velvet. I smoked it on a drive and the burn was flawless even though I couldn't really attend to it as I was driving. Construction was exactly as it should be. Great burn, great draw. AJF quality.

Taste it was one dimensional. It stayed very similar from start to finish. I get the dryness of the smoke that has been referenced above. Aside from that the only flavor that stood out to me was toast. There were some other mild flavors and a little spice but for the most part it was toast. Cigars that I recall having a toast flavor in them that I enjoyed also had woody notes and more spice. Not that this should be blended to taste like another cigar just it needs some complexity desperately.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    Stupid Q. Anyone buy more than a 5er and doesn't like it?
    danielzreyes:
    We could only buy fivers. That being said, let's wait a few days and see if yours delivers. If not...well then, you know what happens next.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    danielzreyes:
    Your package MIA?
    madurofan:
    I don't even know why we're having a conversation about value or the price of these. I won't dignify that with any further comments on it.*shakes head*

Your absolutely right, actually after giving this more thought, I have concluded that in the true spirit of the CCOM forum that these sticks should of been gifted to all of us. **wiggles big toe**
    madurofan:

Your absolutely right, actually after giving this more thought, I have concluded that in the true spirit of the CCOM forum that these sticks should of been gifted to all of us. **wiggles big toe**
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    Rain:
    danielzreyes:
    Your package MIA?
    Something like that. It's getting fixed this week. (I hope)
    Where do I begin... Great construction and tremendous smoke output. The flavor profile was not one that I search out though. There was a constant flavor that just struck me as out of place, it made me think of cabbage. And if that "funky" taste I have heard mentioned in others description, and I experienced, is a result of Ometepe tobacco, then I would not want it in any future blends. The pepper blast at the start was a little too much as well. The cigar is one that I hope will improve with some age.
    That being said, I was not disappointed with it, and am glad I got the chance to try it.
    kaspera79:
    Where do I begin... Great construction and tremendous smoke output. The flavor profile was not one that I search out though. There was a constant flavor that just struck me as out of place, it made me think of cabbage. And if that "funky" taste I have heard mentioned in others description, and I experienced, is a result of Ometepe tobacco, then I would not want it in any future blends. The pepper blast at the start was a little too much as well. The cigar is one that I hope will improve with some age.
    That being said, I was not disappointed with it, and am glad I got the chance to try it.
    Ometepe comes from a volcanic island named as such. Think of how that would influence the soil content, and the tobacco grown on it. It's an odd tobacco, and the blenders I've talked to all agree it is not easy to blend around. Kind of funny that you have to blend around it really, why would one use it? Not sure really, and I cannot say I've had a blend with it that made me go damn! However, with the richness of nica tobacco as of late and medium blending I would not be surprised if someone nailed it soon. I know one blender who is specifically trying, and coming up short, but still going for it.
    catfishbluezz:
    kaspera79:
    Ometepe comes from a volcanic island named as such. Think of how that would influence the soil content, and the tobacco grown on it. It's an odd tobacco, and the blenders I've talked to all agree it is not easy to blend around. Kind of funny that you have to blend around it really, why would one use it? Not sure really, and I cannot say I've had a blend with it that made me go damn! However, with the richness of nica tobacco as of late and medium blending I would not be surprised if someone nailed it soon. I know one blender who is specifically trying, and coming up short, but still going for it.
    Interesting read, I cant find any cigar previously blended by AJF which has Ometepe tobacco. Not saying he hasn't blended any cigars with it, actually I'm pretty sure he has worked with it. I mean I'm pretty sure he's probably dabbled with every tobacco there is,.. I just don't know of any cigars that he's produced.. (I feel Im repeating myself) Anyway. I checked my cigar catalog and I found that Punch uppercut as well as Hoyo de Monterey uses this tobacco,, at least that's what my notes say.. Im sure theres more, only found these two. Think theres some Nestor Plasencia blends out there that use it.. I thought Graycliff used it but not per my notes
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    Which hoyo uses it? All of em?
  • bbass2bbass2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    I believe the Lhc core uses Ometepe though it isn't mention in the description on this site.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    bbass2:
    I believe the Lhc core uses Ometepe though it isn't mention in the description on this site.
    its mentioned in my review on my blog
    The Kid:
    catfishbluezz:
    kaspera79:
    Interesting read, I cant find any cigar previously blended by AJF which has Ometepe tobacco. Not saying he hasn't blended any cigars with it, actually I'm pretty sure he has worked with it. I mean I'm pretty sure he's probably dabbled with every tobacco there is,.. I just don't know of any cigars that he's produced.. (I feel Im repeating myself) Anyway. I checked my cigar catalog and I found that Punch uppercut as well as Hoyo de Monterey uses this tobacco,, at least that's what my notes say.. Im sure theres more, only found these two. Think theres some Nestor Plasencia blends out there that use it.. I thought Graycliff used it but not per my notes
    AJ used it, as mentioned te core uses it. Personally I can't get through one of those without tossing it. Bareknuckle is decent, but not excellent. Plasencia definitely has a stash of ometepe. I just don't think anyone has really nailed a blend with it yet that is a generally well received cigar. Most that have been blended seen to appeal to a small group of smokers.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    catfishbluezz:
    The Kid:
    catfishbluezz:
    kaspera79:
    AJ used it, as mentioned te core uses it. Personally I can't get through one of those without tossing it. Bareknuckle is decent, but not excellent. Plasencia definitely has a stash of ometepe. I just don't think anyone has really nailed a blend with it yet that is a generally well received cigar. Most that have been blended seen to appeal to a small group of smokers.
    The Punch Uppercut does the Omatepe right. Others I've tried don't. I didn't mind it in this cigar, but I'm gonna let my other 4 rest for a while.
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    beatnic:
    catfishbluezz:
    The Kid:
    catfishbluezz:
    kaspera79:
    The Punch Uppercut does the Omatepe right. Others I've tried don't. I didn't mind it in this cigar, but I'm gonna let my other 4 rest for a while.

Uppercut. Core. Not a huge fan of either. Hmmm.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    im smoking one right now.

im getting a lot of leather and a meaty quality as well. there is a barnyard flavor that id boarder line on "mulch"

if there was a bit of the musk found in davidoff the "mulch" would have something to play with and it would be so funky. it would be a transitional flavor between the leather and the musk on the finish. any notes of sweetness that i get are on the molasses side.

if i were re-blending this cigar i would probably cut out the estali ligero and replace it with Dominican ligero. in theory this would have a bit of a different spice element and could bring out more of the musk.

OR i would just cut out the Ometepe completely and up the condega ligero and the Jalapa Viso.

there are good things going on in this cigar but it is a bit muted, unbalanced, and feels unrefined.
    just my opinion