Home Non Cigar Related

Getting a new pistol

2»

Comments

• nsezellnsezell Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 294
    I actually haven't made my purchase yet. I've gone to a few shops to handle the different weapons, and I haven't quite made up my mind. I'm also planning a wedding for the summer, so I wanna make sure my 5-600 dollar investment is the one I'm going to be happiest with. I've considered the springfield, there's just something about it that makes me prefer the glock. I haven't shot it yet, so I'm not counting it out, but I'm not leaning towards it.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    some time ago, the .40 cal was very popular... a gun that I was very much a fan of was the Baby Eagle (Israeli Arms, I believe) The baby brother of the desert eagle...in .40 cal was a very nice gun. It was very accurate and not that cumbersome. A very nice weapon. For some reason, I like the 40 and 45 calibers....for stopping power. Nines are fine, but I want large mags for these in case extra stopping power is needed. A couple of rounds center mass with the 40 or 45 will end any trouble...
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    Well, I added another to the collection today; not a new one though. Colt Model 1903 Pocket Hammerless, 3rd Type. Built in 1911. Needed this one to fill a gap in my "Guns of Humphrey Bogart" collection. Would make a very nice carry gun as it's very slim. Not the best caliber for it (.32) but a lot easier to conceal than some of my others.
  • Crusader1545Crusader1545 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 61
    Ok I am here to bring you to the Glock side of life. I carry one on duty and trust my life to it. If you use a little common sense and pay attention it can be just as safe as one with built in features. My dept has 50 officers we have used Glock for 9 years and not one single misfire. Here are some pics for ya.

This is my Glock 22 .40 cal on a standard piece of printer paper.

These are tritium night sights I HIGHLY recommend... They glow all the time day or night high visibility no batteries required.

This is in pitch black.....took the pic in my closet they are much brighter in person I phone could not catch a good pic

This is a tac light. a Laser/light combo you can use Just Light Just laser or both and all the time on or only on with touch I love this thing.

This is what I wanted to show you. This holster COMPLETELY covers the trigger of the weapon. you cannot fire the gun with this cover on. and if you look closely you can see the button on the side the locks the weapon in place. it will not release unless the button is pressed.

The flip side, belt holder. They make the same thing for concealed carry it goes inside you waist band on your pants .

This is a hogue grip I have large hands so I added this so the weapon is thicker and more comfortable to hold...also slip resistant.

I hope the pics help...if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask. I will answer to the best of my knowledge.

I use that same Serpa holster for my Sigs, they work great. I have the night sights also, very nice to see those three little green dots glowing on the nightstand.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    Mmmm... glock perfection... delicious...
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    pfft, boys play with plastic guns; men use forged steel ;) 1911, my friends - can't argue with almost 100 years of continuous service. Every feature that was mentioned about the glock is something that the 1911 also has.
    xmacro:
    pfft, boys play with plastic guns; men use forged steel ;) 1911, my friends - can't argue with almost 100 years of continuous service. Every feature that was mentioned about the glock is something that the 1911 also has.
    They are completely different firearms, however. Night and day. :) I love 1911s as well - owned a Wilson Combat CQB and carried it for a while. Loved shooting it, but wow was that thing heavy. No thank you. And of course, it only held 8 rounds. My Glock 30 held 10+1, was lighter, more compact, and more reliable. And it cost about $1500 less than my Wilson.

One of the reasons many prefer a pistol such as a Glock over a 1911 is the safety devices are incredibly different. I personally do not like carrying with an "active" safety like the 1911 has - which disengages the trigger/pistol completely. I am confident enough in my own training that I will not put my finger on the trigger until it is needed, so the safeties on a Glock are perfect for me. Many will disagree, but frankly if my life is truly in immediate danger, I have my doubts I would remember to switch from "safe" to "fire." This is one of the reasons why nearly every major pistol manufacturer has stepped away from an active saftey. H&Ks P2000 is a great example of stepping away from an "Active" safety and going with a DA/SA trigger only. Smith&Wesson's M&P is another good one.
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    OK. Heres what I've got. Kimber Custom Carry .45 1911 (Has been to the Kimber Custom Shop), Springfield TRP .45 1911 (All done to the hilt), Para LDA .45 Carry (For Sale), Seecamp .32, & S&W Ti Lite .357
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    Just a quick note for anyone carrying/thinking of carrying in a SERPA. Do a search on the internet. There are dangerous problems with the design. A number of well-regarded schools will not even allow them in their classes any longer. YMMV, but I wanted to make sure you had all information about them.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    TatuajeVI:
    They are completely different firearms, however. Night and day. :) I love 1911s as well - owned a Wilson Combat CQB and carried it for a while. Loved shooting it, but wow was that thing heavy. No thank you. And of course, it only held 8 rounds. My Glock 30 held 10+1, was lighter, more compact, and more reliable. And it cost about $1500 less than my Wilson.

One of the reasons many prefer a pistol such as a Glock over a 1911 is the safety devices are incredibly different. I personally do not like carrying with an "active" safety like the 1911 has - which disengages the trigger/pistol completely. I am confident enough in my own training that I will not put my finger on the trigger until it is needed, so the safeties on a Glock are perfect for me. Many will disagree, but frankly if my life is truly in immediate danger, I have my doubts I would remember to switch from "safe" to "fire." This is one of the reasons why nearly every major pistol manufacturer has stepped away from an active saftey. H&Ks P2000 is a great example of stepping away from an "Active" safety and going with a DA/SA trigger only. Smith&Wesson's M&P is another good one.
    I love arguing about guns :) Good points you have; only thing I'd disagree with is the safety - since it's a gross movement, proper training will teach a person to disable it in an emergency, just like proper training will have them taking advantage of the trigger reset as if it were second nature. I just don't like DA/SA much due to the difference in weight and the trouble in adjusting; it's just my preference, but I like a SA with around 6lbs of weight to it.
    Serpa has changed their design, current production shouldn't have those problems. One of my instructors banned them at one time but has changed his mind on certain models now.
    xmacro:
    TatuajeVI:

I love arguing about guns :) Good points you have; only thing I'd disagree with is the safety - since it's a gross movement, proper training will teach a person to disable it in an emergency, just like proper training will have them taking advantage of the trigger reset as if it were second nature. I just don't like DA/SA much due to the difference in weight and the trouble in adjusting; it's just my preference, but I like a SA with around 6lbs of weight to it.
    Heh. Did you know that anything to do with your hands and fingers are fine motor skills? Gross motor skills use much larger muscle systems like the arms and legs. The debate over which way to reload your pistol (slide lock reload or with your off-hand) is taught by many that reloading using the slide-lock method is not correct due to using fine motor skills. They are wrong to assume that using your offhand is a gross motor movement, because it isn't! :) Kinda like taking your safety off is still a fine motor skill. Pretty much anything we do with a pistol is a fine motor skill.

That's enough of that tangent, lol.

My opinion of safeties is based on my experience teaching advanced shooters. I swear on my life I've seen so many frickin students forget to take their safeties off in the simplest of drills. They look hilarious when they attempt to pull the trigger and can't figure out what the heck is wrong. It gets worse the harder and more complicated the drill as students are mentally preparing for something more complicated and not thinking about their safety. This is why I tell my students that if they feel comfortable carrying a firearm without an active safety, they should do so. And those who don't feel comfortable without an active safety need to train more. :)

That said, it's all personal preference. The great thing about firearms today is there are MANY great companies out there that make fantastic firearms.
    Just made my purchase today. Decieded on a Glock 19. I went with 9mm to save on ammo as this is my first handgun and I'll be shooting it a lot. I'm eying trijicon night sights now, and need to chose a holster. I'm pumped to shoot it tomorrow. Thanks for the input guys.
  • Crusader1545Crusader1545 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 61
    nsezell:
    Just made my purchase today. Decieded on a Glock 19. I went with 9mm to save on ammo as this is my first handgun and I'll be shooting it a lot. I'm eying trijicon night sights now, and need to chose a holster. I'm pumped to shoot it tomorrow. Thanks for the input guys.

Congrats and welcome to the Glock club! I am sure you will enjoy your weapon for MANY MANY years to come!
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,585
    Springfield XDM .45... nothing beats 19 rounds of .45 235gr federal hydroshock hollowpoints. Stops whatever ails ya. Seriously, I've shot the Sig, Glock, Taurus, Berretta, Kimber, Para Ordnance, Les Baer, /Wilson Combat, everything. My favorite is still my Springfield XD. It is a tack driver.
    Great choice. I EDC one. Grab some G17 mags for reloads and some G18 happy sticks for in the house.

I EDC my G19 in a Milt Sparks Summer Special II. Its a classic. If you order directly from Sparks there is a substantial wait, but they are a stocking item at Brownell's.

Sights are a personal thing. For fast acquisition I like XS Big Dots w/ Trit.
    I held tons of the XD's, but all the springfields have those stupid grip safeties, which pinch the webbing between my thumb and finger really bad...besides, not only is .45 expensive to shoot for fun, I'm pretty sure that if I put 3 rounds of 9mm into someone's chest, they're no longer gonna be a threat to me...
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Crusader1545:
    nsezell:

Congrats and welcome to the Glock club! I am sure you will enjoy your weapon for MANY MANY years to come!
    Yes congrats. A lot of people have opinions about different guns, but when it comes right down to it, as long as it's a safe weapon, and you are happy with it.... Well that's all that really matters. Hope you enjoy it for years! Glock is a good gun! Happy shooting!
    nsezell:
    I held tons of the XD's, but all the springfields have those stupid grip safeties, which pinch the webbing between my thumb and finger really bad...besides, not only is .45 expensive to shoot for fun, I'm pretty sure that if I put 3 rounds of 9mm into someone's chest, they're no longer gonna be a threat to me...
    I understand. I bought mine after the advice of a Jackson, MS Homicide detective. I've always carried .45's, but after hearing him talk about some of the shootouts he was in, when using a Glock 9mm police issue, and crackheads kept coming after 4 or 5 hits, I decided to stick with the .45. Again, not sure how true the stories are, but I've lived in some tough towns (Jackson and Memphis, TN both are in top 10 crime in the nation) and worked in the worst parts of em. I want one and done power, hehe.
    cholmes8310:
    nsezell:
    I understand. I bought mine after the advice of a Jackson, MS Homicide detective. I've always carried .45's, but after hearing him talk about some of the shootouts he was in, when using a Glock 9mm police issue, and crackheads kept coming after 4 or 5 hits, I decided to stick with the .45. Again, not sure how true the stories are, but I've lived in some tough towns (Jackson and Memphis, TN both are in top 10 crime in the nation) and worked in the worst parts of em. I want one and done power, hehe.
    One and done is a myth. But that doesn't mean you can't train well enough with your .45 to get the job done. Just don't expect a .45 to put someone down the first shot, especially if drugs/alcohol is part of the equation. All handguns are terrible at killing people, no matter what the caliber.
    TatuajeVI:
    cholmes8310:
    nsezell:
    One and done is a myth. But that doesn't mean you can't train well enough with your .45 to get the job done. Just don't expect a .45 to put someone down the first shot, especially if drugs/alcohol is part of the equation. All handguns are terrible at killing people, no matter what the caliber.
    I don't know. I only train "high center-mass" and headshots ;)
    To sidetrack the thread, all service caliber handgun rounds with modern HP ammo are roughly equivalent in terms of effectiveness (hate the term "stopping power" and the methodology behinds Marshall and Sannow's "study") in that they all suck equally. This is from someone who carries a gun every day. Besides a CNS shot or exsanguination the only thing that is going to stop someone is them deciding to stop. Some folks might stop after a peripheral hit with a minor caliber while others will absorb rifle rounds and continue fighting.

If you care about anecdotal evidence only, I can find stories of people absorbing multiple buckshot, slug and rifle rounds and continuing to fight. On the other hand, I can also give you stories of one shot stops with 9mm ball (a notoriously ineffective stopper). BTW, what were these crackheads doing without weapons? I mean, if they had a gun you'd think they would have shot at least once by the time the officer puts out 4 or 5 rounds. If they had a contact weapon surely they would have been able to close in the time it takes to clear leather and put 4 or 5 shots on target. Are they shooting unarmed folks? Weird story.

Bottom line go with what you can shoot best, being most accurately and fastest, as hits are the important thing. On the same platform and with a timer I have never seen someone who can run a .40 as well as a 9mm. Split times for an equivalent auto on a timer go like this, almost to a man, from longest to shortest .40-.45-9mm. I didn't include calibers like .357 sig, which will be roughly the same as .40 or revolver calibers, which have trigger pull issues not associated with autos, in general.

I really don't care what someone wants to shoot, as my life, in general, doesn't depend on it. So enjoy your .45. However the whole "if it ain't a by-god .45 its just gonna make him mad" is tired and doesn't serve anyone, especially the person looking for his first handgun.

Good luck with that "high center-mass" and headshot shooting when you are suffering an adrenal dump.

This whole thing comes of as pretty gun-show commando-ish to me. YMMV
    Heh, I like the "in that they all suck equally" line. Pure gold.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    TatuajeVI:
    Heh, I like the "in that they all suck equally" line. Pure gold.
    That's what she said!