Home Cigar 101

Any suggestions for a brand new smoker?

2»

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Bo, welcome. The pillows are ok as a temporary measure, but if you are looking for long-term humidification then beads are the way to go. Check out Heartfelt Industries for the beads.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    Even better -- MUCH better, if you have the cash on hand -- is the Cigar Oasis.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    the oasis is an active humidification device... the ONLY active humidification device for non-walk-in humidors.
    however, it will not soak up extra humidity. the beads will.

again, however, the beads will not humidify a 1000+ count humidor alone. if you use the two together... could work out well.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    kuzi16:
    the oasis is an active humidification device... the ONLY active humidification device for non-walk-in humidors.

again, however, the beads will not humidify a 1000+ count humidor alone. if you use the two together... could work out well.
    There is another brand out there kuzi but its not very quality from what I've heard. I've been experimenting with the Oasis/beads combo for a while now with little to no success. Hows it working for you urbs?
    yeah i know there is another brand but there may as well be only one brand from what iver heard.

again i dont own either, and i probably never will, so.... take it with a grain of salt.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    Thats basically what I've heard as well. I do own the oasis and love it :)
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:

There is another brand out there kuzi but its not very quality from what I've heard. I've been experimenting with the Oasis/beads combo for a while now with little to no success. Hows it working for you urbs?
    As I've said elsethread, I've had exactly zero luck getting the beads to soak up excess humidity. IME, they just don't do it. At all. I do have some in my main humi with the Oasis, but I think I could take them out and absolutely nothing would change.
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    urbino:
    elsethread
    Good word :)
  • bocardsbocards Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 32
    Thanks joz3r! I will check out that site asap. I'm still waiting on the pillows and have had my humidor closed with the suggestions above for 2 days now....being patient but its not easy for me :) I only have a small humidor, (I got the free one with the COTMC) and I am experimenting on the free, once I make all the mistakes, I ll get a bigger one and may go with the Oasis....some of this stuff is confusing, and I really appreciate the advice from you Gentlmen! Thanks, Bo
    urbino:
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:

As I've said elsethread, I've had exactly zero luck getting the beads to soak up excess humidity. IME, they just don't do it. At all. I do have some in my main humi with the Oasis, but I think I could take them out and absolutely nothing would change.
    i still find this strange. im sure that if i put a shot glass in my humidor the beads would soak up the extra humidity and i would stay pegged at 65%. I may try it... if i can find a spot where a shot glass isnt sitting on top of cigars.
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    kuzi16:
    i still find this strange. im sure that if i put a shot glass in my humidor the beads would soak up the extra humidity and i would stay pegged at 65%. I may try it... if i can find a spot where a shot glass isnt sitting on top of cigars.
    I'd like to see this test, kuzi. My original plan for recharging beads was to fill the humidification puck on the top of my humidor with plain old distilled water. The theory I had was that it would put out extra humidity, but this would be soaked up by the beads. It didn't work out that way, and the humidity just stayed high. When I pulled the puck out, the beads were still bone dry. I also found that beads in a well-sealed tupperdor escalated the humidity, but if I keep the tupperdor lid just placed on top rather than sealed, they keep a perfect 65%.
    if i ever smoke my humi down to the point where i can set a shotglass in there without resting it on top of some cigars then ill give it a try.