Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 187
    Had a La Herencia Cubana. I like medium bodied cigars and this one certainly was, but i don't care for any more than a little spice. This one had more than I like, but it was pretty good besides that.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    plaidbanana1:
    Had a La Herencia Cubana. I like medium bodied cigars and this one certainly was, but i don't care for any more than a little spice. This one had more than I like, but it was pretty good besides that.
    The Toros are today's daily deal, a fiver for ten bucks.
  • ShawnJShawnJ Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 65
    Had a Savinelli 1826 this morning. Great cigar - I've gotta find some more of these. Have a Rocky Pattel for tonight. It's the Edge Lite.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    It was supposed to be up in the 40s all day, and sunny (which it was), but I don't think it ever got that warm. Most of the snow is still here, and it was a damp, bone-chilling cold day to be out.

That being the case, I made sure my time on the patio was well spent: coffee and a Perdomo ESV '91.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947

urbino:
    It was supposed to be up in the 40s all day, and sunny (which it was), but I don't think it ever got that warm. Most of the snow is still here, and it was a damp, bone-chilling cold day to be out.

That being the case, I made sure my time on the patio was well spent: coffee and a Perdomo ESV '91.

The snow hit here hard about 1:00 pm. Stopped about 3 or so but now looks like some sleet. Anyways how much did you get 'Bino? <br>

I don't think we are done yet...glad I dont have to go anywhere tonight...especially as I have started a pitcher of  Duty's famous family recipe Typhoon drinks, wow I know what he meant by be careful now ! I'm a good size boy and drink my share of alchohol but man after one glass I'm feelin' this....

• LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    gurkha regent...have had this before and think they're pretty tasty. This one was coming apart like a mother...
    Only 2 hours, gm? That surprises me. It snowed like the dickens here for, oh, about 15 hrs, I guess. I think we ended up with 9 inches. My relatives back in Arkansas got over 10.
    not to worry it has now started back snowing again about 5 minutes ago
    Luko:
    gurkha regent...have had this before and think they're pretty tasty. This one was coming apart like a mother...
    I hate when that happens . . . especially when I'm enjoying the cigar.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    I know...it was tasty as all get out but about halfway through, I was holding the wrapper on for dear life but it kept coming apart and I was down to bear binder.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    R&J Reserva Real. A decent, troublefree smoke, but... kinda boring.
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    Hope for a snow day tomorrow, Gene.. after those typhoons, you're gonna need it. I hope you only made a single (1 can)... if it's a double, you might just wanna spend the night on a hard floor.

Our snow started about 3-4 hrs ago. Right now it looks like we've got 2-3 inches, but it's coming down pretty hard. They're saying we could have as much as 10 by the morning. Temps in the mid-30's and sunny tomorrow, so should be back to normal tomorrow evening, or Tuesday at the latest.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Had some good ones today. I started off with a Rocky Patel R4 robusto, my hopes weren't particularly high, but I was surprised by how much I liked this one, the taste reminded me of an ISOM El Rey Del Mundo choix supreme which is a favorable comparison in my book, was also stronger than I expected landing in the medium-full range. On the heels of the R4 I lit up a Coronado by La Flor, the toro size, it was ok but didn't really jump at me...perhaps I smoked it too closely to the R4. A while later, in the evening, I had an El Cobre by Oliva...kuzi has said enough about these cigars, strong and darn tasty, probably one of my favorites by Oliva.
  • The_Duke_of_BurrosThe_Duke_of_Burros Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7

Just enjoyed a Padilla Corojo Edicion Especial 2006, which never seems to fail.....very satisfied for a sunday night!! Why stop now, I am going to finish my week off with a Padilla series 68. Great draw, great taste, great smoke! 

Padilla does make some mighty fine smokes. That '68 is one of my faves.

You're my cigar hero, Joe. I swear, you've got at least one of every cigar made.
  • TumblerTumbler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 338
    urbino:

You're my cigar hero, Joe. I swear, you've got at least one of every cigar made.

What's going on down there Urbi - it's below freezing in Memphis tonight! It's 68 here in Chicago - oh wait - I'm inside...
    urbino:

You sample those ones I sent you?
    Long time, no see, Tumbler. Good to see you back. Yeah, we've had a bout of winter, the last couple of days. Very weird for this late in the season.

Which ones, Joe?
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Me and a buddy had a Park Avenue tonight. Man, I was really dissapointed with this one. The draw was way too tight on it, flavor was pretty bland, just all in all a bad experience. I had to go out and smoke a Sancho Panza double maduro after I got home just to make up for it.
    urbino:
    Long time, no see, Tumbler. Good to see you back. Yeah, we've had a bout of winter, the last couple of days. Very weird for this late in the season.

Which ones, Joe?
    Heh, I thought you were making mention of the Padillas, those ones.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    I went down to my grandfather's this weekend as a friend of his is fixing my truck for a damn good deal. Anyway, I smoked a La Aurora 1495 with him on Saturday and a Fuente Short Story on Sunday. He smoked Macanudos, he likes the really mild ones. I've tried to upgrade him but he enjoys them.

I love smoking a cigar with him. I get to hear stories abut his childhood in middle of no where North Carolina. He told me this time about working in the tobacco fields as a young kid. They used to give him a bag and he went out and filled that bag with bugs from the tobacco plants. Tobacco beetles and such. He got 10 cents for every bag he filled. He joked that kids were the pesticide of choice in those days.

Also talked more about his '40 Ford. HE had the baddest '40 Ford around those parts. As everyone who know racing knows, 40 Fords are what started NASCAR. They were the whiskey runners choice and of course being from rural NC and his Uncle being the legendary Percy Flowers(google that man) running whiskey was what my family did.

Anyway, just great times and I always savor them. We also started laying out plans for building my cabinet humidor. My Grandfather is a helluva woodworker and although he's 75 you'd never guess he was a day over 55 he still can do pretty much anything he wants, still rides his motorcycle and has a little Miata that he's done work to as a toy.
    Sounds like a great time Maddy, surely to be savored with the older guys, I know what you mean. What part of NC were you in btw? My father-in law recently finished restoring a '41 chevrolet....he has restored several of the really old cars including a couple of 57 chevys. I enjoy the stories as well.
    He lives in Fayetteville now but he's from Johnston County. His house as a kid was a mile or two from where JR's now stands.
    I thought maybe you were maybe close to caldwell/catawba co area....oh well ....hope everything went ok on getting the truck fixed.
    gmill880:
    I thought maybe you were maybe close to caldwell/catawba co area....oh well ....hope everything went ok on getting the truck fixed.
    Do you live out that way?

Yea me too. I dropped it there and should know something soon.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    After all that talk about the Triple Ligeros I had one Saturday night. I think it was a little to moist because the draw was tight and when I used my V cup on it the tabacco that cut just scrunched up and I got no flakes at all. Still tasted damn good. I just didn't take it out of the humi it was in and put it in my smoking humi for a couple of days. I pretty much just took it out and smoked it. I still have probably 7 of these left.

madurofan:
    gmill880:

Yea ...I live in Caldwell Co. just outside of Catawba Co and very close to Hickory,NC

• dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    rwheelwright:
    After all that talk about the Triple Ligeros I had one Saturday night. I think it was a little to moist because the draw was tight and when I used my V cup on it the tabacco that cut just scrunched up and I got no flakes at all. Still tasted damn good. I just didn't take it out of the humi it was in and put it in my smoking humi for a couple of days. I pretty much just took it out and smoked it. I still have probably 7 of these left.
    V cup??!!!! Dang!! WP would be so jealous. There's a chick in the neighborhood that may be able to compete with that.
    gmill880:

madurofan:
    gmill880:

Yea ...I live in Caldwell Co. just outside of Catawba Co and very close to Hickory,NC

Damn. We'll have to do a VA, NC herf sometime there are a few of us from 'round these parts.
  • smbrinksmbrink Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    Just lit up a Punch. Ive heard great things, but Ive already got a crazy tight draw...I guess we'll see how it turns out.