Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• bbc020bbc020 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,422
    had a couple smokes yesterday. To start off the day, I had a Padilla Hybrid Torpedo, thanks to Laker for this one. Somewhat of a milder smoke with a very nice long finish to it. Very enjoyable cigar.

The second stick was a La Gloria Cubana Artesanos De Miami Sabrosos. This was a nice med-full bodied smoke that had a bit of peppery spice in the beginning. Smoothed out and revealed some sweet notes after the first third. I haven't had a bad LGC, this was another winner. I'd love to find some more of these.
  • sdipsdip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    The storm is t non-maduro version of the VR. Think it is one of their better smokes. Storm is just the name for the size.
  • naughtnaught Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 56
    It's nighttime somewhere. Hoyo de Monterrey Dark Sumatra.
  • betasynnbetasynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,249
    sdip:
    The storm is t non-maduro version of the VR. Think it is one of their better smokes. Storm is just the name for the size.
    Right. CAO uses cool names for their sizes, which is a very smart marketing move. Would you rather have the Black Robusto, or the CAO Black Storm?
  • forgetfulrobotforgetfulrobot Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 40
    Tonight I tried a Rocky Patel Sun Grown. Not bad, nothing spectacular either. Saddest part of the night would be when a buddy asked if he could have a cigar and he'd give me one of his Ashtons when they come in next week. I agreed and gave him a Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve. As I handed the cigar and cutter to him I asked if he knew how to cut it. He said he did so i handed them over and then watched him cut the entire cap off and at about 30 degree angle. Painful to watch but I'll let you know what I think of the Ashton when it comes in :)
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Robot, there is a particular cut that calls for cutting the cigar on an angle, it's called the D I C K cut, named after the guy who is known for using it. I don't think you are supposed to cut the entire cap off, and the angle is more of a 45, but it does exist. The idea is to direct the smoke towards your palate as you smoke, thus enhancing the flavor you experience.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    I've heard of using a punch to cut a hole in the top of the cigar to do this same thing. Supposedly it works well on chisel shapes like La Flor Dominicas.

Speaking of LFD I had my first one this weekend, a ligero. The full body was very nice and super smooth so it really didn't seem full bodied until it snuck up on me. The wrapper was gorgeous with a red hue and the stick really was quite beautiful. It smoked very well but I was a little disappointed with the flavors, not as much or as tasty as I was hoping.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    So I started my trip to Baltimore yesterday with a Beauty. This cigar has a much different taste than any other cigar out there. I have 2 more that I am going to give some serious age. I think I got this one around October maybe last year. Then I went to a Grand Reserve Torpedo. The first one I had was much better. This one was ok. It seems to be a little too moist and soft. It was in the tube so there really isn't much I can do about that.

Today I started with a Gurkha Shaggy. Again, not as good as the first one but not bad at all. Then I went with a Beast. This cigar burnt strangly. It's hard to explain. The end looked like to blew up but didn't affect the cigar at this point. A little later into it I noticed a crack. When I took the band off I cracked it more and the crack just started to expand. I left it with about 2 inches left. Is it me of does the Beast have a really think wrapper? I remember the last one I had had a thin wrapper also. Hrm... I'm going to take another few days off I think. My throat and mouth are a little raw.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    Oliva Master Blends III...nice smoke, but whoa. Being somewhat hungover today, I didn't eat all day and then tore into this in the earlier evening. It was great, nice spice, but pretty strong and left me a little queasy. I'd like another, but on a full stomach.
    Another two stick day with two new smokes. The first one today was a Joya De Nicaragua Antano Belicoso that came my way from Jozer. This was one strong smoke. I recognized it in the first few puffs as my eyes watered a bit when I released it through my nose. Great strong smoke with lots of peppery spice and a bit of sweetness, maybe a little leather. Kinda reminded me of the LX2 but seemed stronger and had a bit more flavor. Awesome smoke that almost had me spinning.

The second smoke today was a Litto Gomez Diez Chisel Puro. I picked this up while down in Chesapeake, VA. This has many similar characteristics of the Antano, but is wholly different in delivery. The flavors in this stick a bit peppery, a bit leathery, and a bit more sweet than the Antano I had earlier. I notice something that is a bit new for me, which is something somewhat savory in this cigar. The delivery is much smoother than the antano and it seems more complex. But really the big difference is something I can't really explain in that it tastes dominican vs the antano tasting nicaraguan. I think I like the Chisel puro better, but both are tremendous smokes.
  • jacketsrulejacketsrule Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 401
    I was outside enjoying a Perdomo lot 23 when my neighbor offered me a cigar I was not familiar with. He gave me a bundle of Flor de Ybor City. I searched the internet to find they are a Fuente brand from the Dominican. The cigar started off peppery and finished dry and papery. Not a bad smoke for the price. Has anyone else heard of or tried it?
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    jacketsrule:
    I was outside enjoying a Perdomo lot 23 when my neighbor offered me a cigar I was not familiar with. He gave me a bundle of Flor de Ybor City. I searched the internet to find they are a Fuente brand from the Dominican. The cigar started off peppery and finished dry and papery. Not a bad smoke for the price. Has anyone else heard of or tried it?

He gave you a bundle ? ...dang good neighbor ...
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    I've had a few good smokes over the weekend. First off I tried my first NUB Maduro and WOW! It was such a good smoke and had a perfect burn and draw and pulled off a great Nub Stand at the very tip of it with the entire ash still holding strong!

Also tried a Siglo which was a really good smoke. Has a cheesy Cuban Cohiba knock off band that looks horrible, but a friend of mine gave me one to try in a blind taste test and it was a pretty decent smoke. Also had a Graycliff Legends Purple label and this was a really good smoke! Also had an ITC 10th and it was a great smoke as always! Perfect burn and draw with great flavor. This was the last one I had in my humi so I'm going to have to find some more of these. Possibly some 2nds. Those look like a great deal!
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Padilla Habano with a few months in the humi on it. Really nice. Nothing exotic or over the top complexity, just a tasty, simple woodsy medium smoke. It had zero burn issues and kept a nice slow burn going.

I think the key to Padilla sticks is a small first pull and then the normal pull right behind it. It gets it burning just a tiny bit hotter to keep the wrapper going but not so hot it gets bitter.
    Yesterday, had a fantastic Camacho 1962, then a Nub Habano, which is always a favorite of mine, and then today I had a cu-avana intenso. Good night all in all, thinking about hitting up another stick.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Rocky Patel Summer collection 2008 on the first cooler night since the 90Degree heat wave that has hit the Midwest

Not first Summer Collection, but first in Robusto size... ahhhhhhhh
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Just finished a Defiance Lonsdale and had a Natural Irish Hops earlier, both awesome sticks as usual.
    alien, makes me happy to see you enjoying the defiance and the bonitas! I am sitting out on my stoop, smoking a camacho triple maduro and writing up a few reviews. Great night for a smoke, sans these effing mosquitoes.
    Had a Gurkha Blue Steel and like most gurkhas I've had....it was, well, eh. Not terrible, but nothing I'd search out again.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    Just got back from vacation to find my A/C unit went Kaput, it's 108 in the valley and it's $4400 for a new one installed....

I need an Anejo to make me feel better....
  • gaberoxgaberox Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 824
    Had my first cigar in 8 days after working 7 days in a row. A RP Decade. Was like heaven, even drank a Rouge Mocha Porter alongside it at 10am ha ha. Looking forward to smoking a few more today if the rain lets up and allows me to take a trip to my favorite shop.
    Had a NUB Cameroon to kick off the day, planning on doing a panel smoke with some of my friends of the Perdomo2 later. NUB Cameroon was okay, a really woody smoke, but I enjoyed it.
  • HugemooseHugemoose Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 458
    I had a Rocky Patel Fusion Double Maduro last night. It was really humid outside last night so I was having problems with keeping it lit. Also, the draw was rather tight even after I attempted to loosen it up a bit. I enjoyed the flavor but was a little let down with the draw and small smoke volume since that inhibited the taste I took from it. I have more to try so we shall see.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    Did anybody else snatch up the Calle Ocho's a few weeks ago? I'm burning my first one tonight, I love trying cigars I've never had before. It's like seeing all those delicious colorful candies when I was a kid. But now the candies are flammable, but they still melt in your mouth and not in your hands...
  • gaberoxgaberox Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 824
    Had a RP Summer 09 today. Was Ok. Started out great with sweet spice but fell pretty flat with an undefined woody taste throughout. Not to bad but wouldnt buy another. Smoked a La Flor double ligero later. Was enjoying the hell out of this one until I started to feel sick and realized I hadnt eaten anything but beer all day. Ended up throwing up half way through. Purged the cigar and put it in a zip lock bag to see what its like tomorrow though Im sure its ruined. Done ever smoke this on an empty stomach. Ive been partying hard today with the beer and just hadnt eaten at all today. Damn what a waste of a good cigar. 8 months of smoking and my frist actual up chuck ha ha.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    I had a very dissapointing 5 Vegas Limitada 08. It had really bad burn issues and the flavor seemed flatter than normal. I haven't had an 08 with perfect burn yet, but they are normally manageable, this one was really bad. I am pretty unsatisfied, so I will probably end up going out and having another before bed.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    Enjoyed a lovely Benchmade received in a PIF a while back (from Joe I believe). Very rich, lots of creamy smoke. Enjoyed it greatly.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    today was a two smoke day.
    1) camacho 1962 ... always a good smoke.

2) 5 vegas series A. ...great for a late night walk.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Monday night I had a Jesus Fuego 777 maduro which was ok, but really just not a great smoke. It had some good flavor every once in a while, but not a lot of it. I've had this one for quite some time so I had high hopes for it, but it was a bit of a let down. My friend smoked the 777 Corojo which was a much better smoke.

Next I had a RyJ Habana Reserve that I've had for almost a year and it was really good. Had nice flavor, Med body, great burn and draw. Was the last one of these I had in the humi.

I do have a box of 5 vegas A on the way that I'm splitting with a buddy and just got 10 Onyx Reserve in the humi a couple weeks ago. Also thinking about the Ccom sampler for the 4th of July weekend Blitz, plus I found a Don Pepin sampler that I REALLY like. Doing some serious stocking up right now! Can't wait to get the humi full again and I think it will be there by mid-late july! Mmmm...
  • jeff_connorsjeff_connors Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 483
    Snacho Panza 2xM last night, have been resting for 5 months , the resting did them some good, picked up some nice cedar flavor on the wrapper Started this morning with a la auroa le leon, not a bad consistent smoke not complex but a nice sweet fruity woodsy flavor all the way though tonight i am thinking a trying something new, a partagas black or a rockey sun grown....hmm we will see