Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• SacNickSacNick Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 77
    RP 1990.

This was a very earthy and leathery for me tonight. Although it wasn't too harsh.
    When I first had one of these it was VERY strong.

Now it's pretty good. My palette must be changing.

Have FUN!

• VidarienVidarien Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 246

5 Vegas 'A'

Wow, now that cigar had some punch to it.  Strong flavors of cinnamon and other creamy spices.  The smoke that one was putting off though was enough to put me in lala land if i had been in a closed room.  I'd definately have one of those sluggers again.

• urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    j0z3r:
    Tonight I had a La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet #1, again a truly excellent smoke, one of those that made 90 minutes pass in the blink of an eye.
    Lookin' forward to those, Joe.
  • wilbr11wilbr11 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 49
    Tonight was a Cuba Libre from the sampler I got here on C.com. Decent smoke, very grassy and had a barnyard smell to it when lit. Burned okay, this one has been in the humi going on 3 weeks, and all my cigars are finally starting to settle into the humi, which has made a HUGE difference in smoke quality. Going to the B&M tommorrow on my off day to smoke and shoot the bull. Last time I was in there I smoked an H.Uppman Maduro Reserve. Wonderful wonderful cigar, Few burn Issues, but it just came into my B&M's Humi the day before, so I won't take away from it. Well, we'll see what I decide on tomorrow.
  • MarioMario Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1
    I am having an authentic cuban cohiba with my father
    I had one of the Bauzas that Kas has been so generous with, of late. Very pleasant smoke. It has a distinctive flavor that I couldn't really place, but liked. It went out on me before I normally stop smoking a cigar, but not terribly long before. I'll give the second one more time to rest.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Had a Tatuaje Havana VI Robusto on my lunch break yesterday. I've had several of these and once again a great smoke! Nice full flavored smoke, hints of honey throughout. Made for a nice relaxing break from the work day at my favorite local shop. Probably going to try a Camacho or Oliva for lunch today... Which Oliva would you guys say is the best? Serie O, G, or V?
  • rusiriusrusirius Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 564
    If all goes well and I have the time I'm gonna go for that Gurkha Legend churchill... It really hasn't even had a chance to fully rest, but it's just too tempting... ;)
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    rusirius:
    If all goes well and I have the time I'm gonna go for that Gurkha Legend churchill... It really hasn't even had a chance to fully rest, but it's just too tempting... ;)

I know what you mean. I just recieved my C.Com COTMC initial order... OH MAN! Starting off with 5 Gurkha's. I am eye ballin' that Centurian !

I started the day with a Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet Fundadore. A little tight, nice even burn. Tasty morning :)
    PuroFreak:
    Which Oliva would you guys say is the best? Serie O, G, or V?
    It'd be a tough call between the O and the G for me, Puro.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I just finished up a mid-afternoon 5 Vegas Classic 6x48. It was a nice reward for dealing with the single largest bunch of idiots I've run across this year... That would be the start up/ management crew from the Red Robin we are finishing up, what a bunch of fools.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    Lunchtime had a Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic. Man I love these. very nice.
    Since it's vacation time lit up a second cigar this evening. Grabbed a Gurkha Centurian that's been in the humi for months. Now, the last time I tried one of these it was very hard to draw. Tonight's was no different, even after getting medieval on the damn thing with a poker. It was still like trying to suck a peach through a straw. The wrapper was starting to peel in the center, and though the burn started nice and even it quickly went haywire. I threw the damn thing away in disgust after ten minutes.

I'm really glad I didn't pay full price for these. I have three left, I think they'll just take up space in the humi for some time to come. (My humi is balanced fine, thanks for asking). It'll be a long time before I buy any more Gurkhas, I think.
  • VidarienVidarien Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 246

5 Vegas Miami

I have to say, i was impressed with this cigar.  For a while while I was smoking it, i had 'berries and cream' running in my mind, yet there were also peppery flavors as well.  The interesting thing was that normally when a lot of earthy spices are used, theres a small level of harshness just due to the spicing, at least in my experience.  This one was interesting because there was this inherent smoothness to it just conveying the flavor alone. 

I would have to say this ranks with the Vegas A as my favorites of the series.

• wilbr11wilbr11 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 49
    Today I went down to the Local B&M. Started off with a Toro Romeo y Julieta Maduro Reserve. Very nice cigar with a bit of spiciness. Followed by a CAO MX2, it was Nice, i wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be, However it may have been due to the fact that it was a post-cursor to the Romeo y Julieta. Who Knows, but I did like both of them very well.
  • sdipsdip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    Tonight's a Legends La Aurora - just got them today, but had to try one. Pretty good and I sure they will get better with some time.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Today it was the Gurkha Legend from 06/06 that the Capt. sent my way as part of a prize package. This was perfect. Everything about this cigar was pleasant. The burn, the smell, the taste. Aging on a Gurkha Legend only makes them sooo much better. There was not a moment of harshness or bite throughout the hour and a half it took to enjoy this cigar. Get two of these and hide one for a couple years and you will know what I mean. I can't believe how smooth this stick was. Thanks Capt. I plan to try the Gregorio Power tomorrow.
    I finished the night off with, and was finished off by, a Puros Indios Special Aged Piramide. This is a whopper of a cigar, as those of you who came after me in maddy's pass probably noticed, it weighs in at 6.5 inches long and sports a massive 64 ring gauge. And I guess the story behind it is that when they were rolled, Rolando Reyes put them away in an aging room for 6 years or something like that, and then released them. And this is a very smooth smoking cigar, not a harsh note to be found, the strength is on the milder side of medium and the flavor is very nice, woody and toasty with a nice sweetness on the finish. I simply didn't have the energy to finish this one, and laid it down with 3 inches left... my throat feels really raw, I think I've been overdoing it, or I might just be a wimp. :)

Cheers,

Joe
  • ScramblerScrambler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 746
    Tonight I'm smoking a Cusano Exclusivo thats from my first CCOM order back in April. I dropped this one digging for something else in the humi, busting the wrapper so I smoked it backwards to get past the broken part quickly. I'm well past it now, and its great.
    Don Carlos corona, for me. Excellent.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    Well yesterday was my 26th birthday so I smokes a Padron 26. Seemed appropriate. While I was at the B&M I also picked up an Ashton VSG Enchantment, a Davidoff Maduro R(brand new), and a Cuvee Rouge.
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    aw, man! forgot to post up some happy birthday wishes, maddy! Hope you had a great day (sure sounds like it).
  • handypantzhandypantz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 86
    Last night was the Gurkha Legend Churchill....I had a rough day at work and sat down with a bottle of Jameson and a glass and fired this beast up. This cigar had been resting in my humi....then coolerador for almost a year. It was a great smoke...if only I could afford to make that my everyday cigar :D....it was full bodied and complex to the nub. It took me close to 2 hours to finish and they only thing that I felt wasnt up to par was the draw was a bit tight up until about 3 inches in and then it loosened up nicely....i had expected this though so it wasnt a shocker......
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    madurofan:
    Well yesterday was my 26th birthday so I smokes a Padron 26. Seemed appropriate. While I was at the B&M I also picked up an Ashton VSG Enchantment, a Davidoff Maduro R(brand new), and a Cuvee Rouge.
    Happy belated birthday Maddy, I hope it was a good 'n kas.
    Yes. Happy berfday, man! 26, though. Really? I didn't know anybody was 26 anymore.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    Happy bday from the Burgh, too. Ah, 26...I remember it like it was only seven years ago. Holy cripes I'm getting older by the minute.
  • sdipsdip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    Tonight was a DPG Serie JJ Maduro sublime. Fantastic  and not as spicy as most of the other Don Pepin's I have smoked. Would love to make this a regular smoke
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    Tonight was MY turn for the birthday smoke... tough choices. I finally settled on a 5 Vegas Limitada 2008. This totally makes up for last night's Ghurka dog rocket. I think I may buy the box!

I wish I could go back to being 26 and know what I know now! Not over the hill yet but I can see the ridge from here.

Update: 90 minutes later and it's still going strong - two inches left!
    The Limitada '08 really is awesome, I bought a box sight unseen before they were readily available and could not be happier for it.

Oh, and a cumulative happy birthday to all the birthday people, zoom, maddy. May your cigars burn cool and even and your smoke clouds be plentiful.
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    Happy birthday, zoom. No cigars for me all stinkin' week long, with this stupid slow-moving tropical storm still dragging rain all over the place.
  • ScramblerScrambler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 746
    Duty, I love to sit outside on the porch and smoke when these storms roll through.

Fall classes start first thing in the morning and I had a very long day at work today, so I decided to treat myself. I pulled a Graycliff 1666 out of the humi. This one has been resting for about 15 weeks. Pre-light taste was an amazingly smooth chocolate taste. Think Dove milk chocolate. The wrapper even has the texture of good chocolate on the toungue. Once lit, I'm having trouble picking out any specific flavors, but its smooth and fairly complex. Damn I love these things.

The only problem is that I have trouble smoking it slowly -- I want more and can't wait for the next puff. And as soon as its done I'll want to light another. The only other cigars I've felt that way about are the Bauza and the Fuente Anejo.