Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    urbino:
    My understanding is they have stopped (or are about to stop) making them.
    Did they stop making the whole 1495 line or just the 1495 1994?
  • ScramblerScrambler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 746
    rwheelwright:
    Did they stop making the whole 1495 line or just the 1495 1994?
    Just the '94, as there are no more of these cameroon leaves from that 1994 harvest.
    Ugh............................................................. I just ordered 10 of them plus 4 Titan IIs. I am out of control! Please cut up my credit card. No, better yet, cancel my account cause I have my card number memorized!
  • Johnny BananasJohnny Bananas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4
    Sounds like me,I'm waiting on some Cuba Libres Magnums they had them for 29.99 for a bundle of 20 can't beat that w/a stick.But today I went and got a couple of Perdomo Lot23 Nats.Heard a lot of good things about them so decided to give'em a try..I'll try one tonight watching the game..Also got a six pack of Michelob Tuscan Orange Grapefruit,gotta say pretty good stuff..
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Tonight was a Padilla Edicion Especial 2006 corojo, otherwise known as the Achilles in the salamon size. This cigar is massive, it kinda looks like a baseball bat. Overall, this is a good cigar with a nice development from medium to medium-full and some complexity. Now I will say though that it took about 2 inches for this cigar to become interesting, until that point it really was nothing special. By the time I hit 3 inches, the cigar really started coming into its own and was quite good. Smoke time was around 2 hrs 15 mins.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    I really like the Achilles as well, but I've only had the Robustos. I just bombed a friend with a few of them and he ordered a box right away!
    zoom6zoom:
    I really like the Achilles as well, but I've only had the Robustos. I just bombed a friend with a few of them and he ordered a box right away!
    Would you care to make a swap? Some robustos for salamons?
    I smoked a Fuente Sun Grown Cuban Belicoso last night. Was not impressed at all. And I'm a huge Fuente Fan. Oh well. I have a few more I am going to age and see if that does them any good. It was packed solid and had a great burn and draw just wasn't big on the taste.
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    I had a Nub 464 Cameroon. This was my first Nub, and I thought it was excellent. I'd need Kuzi to tell me everything I tasted, as it seemed every puff had a totally different flavor.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    dutyje:
    I had a Nub 464 Cameroon. This was my first Nub, and I thought it was excellent. I'd need Kuzi to tell me everything I tasted, as it seemed every puff had a totally different flavor.
    ha!
    i have a nub habanna in the humidor but i have yet to smoke any nub.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    Had a bad night last night - traffic, bad service at dinner (alone by the way), and I was hoping I'd get to retire and enjoy a cigar at a local shop before they closed, but after all was said and done, it was 10 minutes before they closed when I got there. I was determined to enjoy some part of the night, so I pulled two cigars (in case one sucked) out of my humi and sat in the cold, trying to enjoy them.

The first was an Oliveros El Padrino. Luckily I brought a backup, as this one tunneled, burned a hole out the side and made a whistle out of my cigar. The taste up to that point had been ashy at best, so I tossed it and lit up my Perdomo Cameroon Reserve. This one was a winner. Floral, woodsy notes at first. Ash held tight, burn was even, tons of smoke, easy draw. Eventually the floral notes subsided and more chocolate notes joined in.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Well I'm packing things up and heading 2 hours South for a wedding...

I got my Herf-a-dor so I'm gonna bring some sticks... Unfortunately the wedding consists of people I don't know and it's in an area I've never been too...

Let's just hope to GOD that I can at leas smoke somewhere.

I'm thinking I'll bring some Sancho Panza Double Maduro, Punch Double Corona, 5 Vegas Serie "A" Shorty that Kuzi gave me (if time is an issue) and perhaps a Romeo y Julieta Tubo I have...

Wish me luck fellas!
    Good luck brother!

I'm hoping to smoke one of those 1495 1994's tonight assuming they came in today.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Lassy on another road trip, when will he learn ? Let's have a contest to see what horror story the poor guy tells upon his return. It sounds bad and he hasn't even left the state yet. Hey wait, two hours south, he's coming to my house !
    Lasabar:
    Unfortunately the wedding consists of people I don't know and it's in an area I've never been too...

Good luck! Watch the Miller Light intake around people you don't know...might just end up on the wrong end of a pitchfork...or even scarier, the right end.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    About to step out on the balcony with a nice glass of a new canadian whiskey I just picked up called Texas Crown Club and a Nub Habano. I've had the cameroon and it was awesome. I'm hoping for the same out of this lil fellow. Wish me luck and I'll share my thoughts afterwards.
    Smoked a Titan II tonight and a La Aurora 1495 1994. I can;t really comment on them. The Titan II tasted like it needed more ago. Was very young, at least I think. The 1994 was different. I'll reserve judgement on it until I have had a chance to smoke another one.
  • leonardleonard Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 359
    Hey j0z3r, is this the Rodriguez Cigars in San Jacinto?
    Back in after the Nub Habano and enjoying a nice cup of fresh ground French Roast relaxing. The Habano was a good smoke. Took about 50 minutes and was nice and spicy with some roasted nutty flavors. I picked up some pepper but it was fairly mild, kind of a white pepper. The burn was perfect, never needing a corrective light. I will make the Nub a regular in my humi. Going to have to stick with the cameroon though because I enjoyed the flavor more than the Habano but not a bad smoke at all!
  • These Filthy HandsThese Filthy Hands Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 455
    PuroFreak:
    Back in after the Nub Habano and enjoying a nice cup of fresh ground French Roast relaxing. The Habano was a good smoke. Took about 50 minutes and was nice and spicy with some roasted nutty flavors. I picked up some pepper but it was fairly mild, kind of a white pepper. The burn was perfect, never needing a corrective light. I will make the Nub a regular in my humi. Going to have to stick with the cameroon though because I enjoyed the flavor more than the Habano but not a bad smoke at all!
    You should try the Connecticut, fantastic smoke. I had a Punch Gran Puro tonight. It was fantastic. Mellow and smooth. I had a hint of white pepper on the back of my pallet. I didn't really pay as close attention to the smoke. I had it sitting around a fire with my dad. I was paying more attention to the conversation than to the cigar. Still an all around great experience.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    you know how i feel about fires and cigars.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    A Graycliff Crystal. While sitting in my garage listening to the rain. Very nice experience. Great smoke. Perfect burn, nice mild but tastey. Not a lot of change from start to finish but I sure enjoyed the whole experience.
  • LCarLCar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 57

kaspera79:
    LCar:
    Its looking like I will have a 5 Vegas Gold churchill today...either that or my RP vintage 1992...but I think I'll save my RP for the weekend. I had a RP conneticut a while ago and I didnt care for it much, so hopefully the vintage will be a little better.
    Hey LCar, I love the Patel '92.. I is one of my absolute favorites. And I enjoy many, many of RP's other cigars. But, not the Connecticut. It is the only Patel that I have no desire to try again. I know the Vintage will be a better experience.

You were correct. The '92 was certainly much much MUCH better than the Connecticut. Good call on that. Very robust flavor, leathery and delicious.

• kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    LCar:

kaspera79:
    LCar:
    Its looking like I will have a 5 Vegas Gold churchill today...either that or my RP vintage 1992...but I think I'll save my RP for the weekend. I had a RP conneticut a while ago and I didnt care for it much, so hopefully the vintage will be a little better.
    Hey LCar, I love the Patel '92.. I is one of my absolute favorites. And I enjoy many, many of RP's other cigars. But, not the Connecticut. It is the only Patel that I have no desire to try again. I know the Vintage will be a better experience.

You were correct. The '92 was certainly much much MUCH better than the Connecticut. Good call on that. Very robust flavor, leathery and delicious.

I'm glad you gave Rocky another try as he does deliver with the '92. I knew you would enjoy that one..
    I started a Verdadero today. Had to put it out. I'll tryand finish it up tomorrow. Doesn't taste like anything special. However, it's not a bad cigar just doesn't taste different like I thought it would.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    I just spent 3 -- count 'em, 3 -- hours with a Montecristo White robusto. Good flavor and, obviously, unbelievably great burn. A man could do a lot worse. ;)
    urbino:
    I just spent 3 -- count 'em, 3 -- hours with a Montecristo White robusto. Good flavor and, obviously, unbelievably great burn. A man could do a lot worse. ;)

HOW??? haha I haven't been able to make a cigar a lot bigger than a Robusto last that long! WOW!
    An excellent question, PF. The answer is: I smoked it in base-11.

Actually, I have no idea how. I'm generally a fast smoker. I was reading as I smoked it, but I always read while I smoke. The best I can come up with is the thing was just so exquisitely constructed that it simply would not smoke itself between puffs, but also wouldn't go out. Further evidence in support of that, I suppose, is the fact that it ashed only twice.
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    On the other end of the spectrum, I just spent 50 minutes in a battle with a Padilla Series 68 Torpedo. This thing burned down one side exclusively. Something was clearly wrong with the roll, as no amount of fire to the slow side helped to speed things up. The flavor started out excellent, and I thought I was in for a great smoke. However, I ended up having to give up the fight. A long series of major corrections brought out a bitterness, and the experience was no longer relaxing. Based on the flavor at the start, I'll have to give this another shot down the road.
    Definitely do, doody. My experiences with that one quickly made it one of my favorites. In fact, now that you've mentioned it, I may have one later tonight.