Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I don't know nanners, you probably ought to have a second opinion...I'll pm you my address and you can send me a few Red Dots for testing purposes. :)
  • TumblerTumbler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 338
    bbc020:
    had a nice Graycliff 1666 Toro today, was a nice smoke with great construction and burn, but flavor-wise I wasn't floored. Later tonight I had a Punch Grand Cru #2. This was a very good smoke that burned flawlessly the whole way. Started off a bit milder than I expected, though was quite flavorful. Toward the end the fuller side of this showed up and what was nice became excellent.

I don't know that they floored me either, but I do really like 'em. I do think the torpedos are much better in IMHO. :)
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    Smoked a Bolivar while working on the back porch and doing some work to the truck. Great cigar! It was the churchill so the smoke lasted a while. Burned terrific, could set it down for a while, pick it up and it was still smokey. Great flavor, not a whole lot of body, but a nice slighly sweet earthiness to it.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    Had a la gloria cubana small ring size,proably about a 42 or so maybe smaller by 6 . the B&M manager told me they were really old but he did not know how old.they were stuck in an old jar on a back shelf. cello was yellowed quite a bit so i thought what the heck . this smoke had hints of earth, little pepper and thats about it, had a tight as hades draw even for that size and had to re-light about 6 times. smoked about 2/3 rds and tossed it. I smoke La Gloria Cubana on a regular bases but this thing sucked. smoked it slow too and just not what i'm used to in this brand. On the upside this shop has some interesting old stuff cigar jars and such i'll proably be looking at.
    I started off today with a 5 Vegas Gold toro, I know some of you think this one is too mild, but for me it hits the spot just right when I'm looking for something mild. I followed that one up pretty shortly with a Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 churchill, it is a decent enough cigar, but I'm just not impressed with it, there seems to be something lacking. A little while later I had a Padilla Obsidian, I like this cigar though it's not too complex it has a good flavor. Ended the day with a Victor Sinclair Triple Corojo chisel tipped figurado, not bad by any stretch, good construction and flavor but somewhat one-dimensional.
  • bbc020bbc020 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,422
    Had a RP Signature Series Toro earlier. It was a nice mild smoke to start the day off. I finished the night off pretty early with Torano Virtuoso Robusto. I really like this smoke. Very nice medium body with hints of coco. Was a great after dinner treat.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Had a Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet in the Robusto size. Great smoke, but I think I like the Toro a little better. Both were very good though!
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    I had anothe La aroma de cuba. I wasn't a big fan of the first one but the one last night hit the spot. It went very well with a glass of Robert Mondavi Cab and The Catcher in the Rye.

Night before last it was a 601 Black Label. The Black is the Conneticut and being a Connie I was expecting a nice mellow cigar. DAMMMN was I wrong, this cigar packs a wallop from the beginning. I don't know that it was full bodied but it was full flavored and loaded with spice. I love this cigar.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    I smoked a RP Ren yesterday to start my journey home. It was a little spicy. I followed that up with a Shaggy Maduro. The both tasted similar, with the Shaggy getting a little stronger near the end. Both had hints of cocoa at the beginning. I can;t tell you much more than that. I'm not good at picking out flavors and my memory isn't that good either. I'm getting old.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    madurofan:
    I had anothe La aroma de cuba. I wasn't a big fan of the first one but the one last night hit the spot. It went very well with a glass of Robert Mondavi Cab and The Catcher in the Rye.
    Did you see the recent article on Salinger in the NYTimes, maddy?
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 848
    I had a 5 V 'A' that I received in a pass. My first 'A' and only my second 5 Vegas. This thing was really good, much better than the classic I had. I may have to keep a few of those on hand and maybe throw a few in the aging box that I have started. Thanks to who sent it to me...sorry I don't remember who it was.
    Tonight was a Rocky Patel Edge maduro toro that I received several months back from Luko in the pif game. I enjoyed this one quite a bit, I'm not sure if I liked it more than the corojo....this calls for further taste testing. Thanks Luko for a dynamite stick.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Had a gurkha shaggy today, wow what a great smoke. Had to stop half way through though as some things were going on in the house. I have one more left, but if that one is just as good I'm going to have to put this guy on a possible box purchase. Damn, that would make 4 boxes of smokes I need to get. Already have a box of Americas, man I'm going to have to get that larger humi soon and save some scratch... DOHHHH!
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    urbino:
    madurofan:
    Ah, Salinger. How that name comes up, mixing memory with desire. Now he's an enigma.

nothin tonite ....nada....the big zip....shutout....(looking around mule-lipped)

Luko:
    Ah, Salinger. How that name comes up, mixing memory with desire. Now he's an enigma.
    And how. Also: you desire Salinger?
    gmill880:
    mule-lipped
    I'll never get used to that. Ever.
    get used to it !?!? just be glad your not livin' it!!!
    urbino:
    Luko:
    And how. Also: you desire Salinger?
    Just trying to be cute, referencing my favorite Salinger story referencing my favorite expatriate poet.
    Ah. Catcher is the only Salinger I've read. It didn't do nearly as much for me as it seems to for everyone else, so I didn't bother exploring his other stuff.

Who's the poet? I'm pretty sure I don't have a favorite expat poet. Auden, maybe, though obviously he's not an American expat.
    T.S. Eliot. The story - A Perfect Day for Bananafish - is a short story from Nine Stories. Give it a whirl. Catcher is my least favorite.
    I might just do that. As for Eliot, I like "The Wasteland," but that's about as far as I go with T.S. He's too . . . anal retentive.
    urbino:
    I did not, do you have a link?

I've never read any Salinger but my wife kept handing it to me when I'd go on trips to read. Then I watched Chapter 27and was interested but didn't quite get it bc I hadn't read Catcher so now I'm reading it. Not thoroughly impressed so far, I'm just to the point where Holden tells his sister he wants to be the catcher in the rye. Its interesting but to me its just rambling so far, I'm waiting for something climatic or anti-climatic so I understand everything I just read.
    I'm going to start a book thread in the Non Cigar section. Anyways back to this thread. I smoked my final Gran Habano last night the Corojo (#5 I believe). Every Gran Habano I've had has been a dissappointment. They just lack any real flavor. The corojo had a little bit of pepper to it, as would be expected from a corojo, but that was it. Aside from the pepper it was just a bland flavor waste of a cigar. You guys know I don't rate cigars but if I did, this would score a 0 for flavor. Burn was good, construction was good, smelled good. Great cigar until you drew the smoke into your mouth ...
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Last night I started with an Arturo Fuente Candela in the Churchill size with the Claro wrapper and I was VERY suprised. Great mild sweet flavors and stayed very smooth and tastey throughout.

Ended the night with an Oliva Serie G Maduro Robusto... Always a good smoke! Plus they were both pair very well with some Makers Mark and Coke, and the LONGHORNS WINNING THE FIESTA BOWL!!! GO HORNS!!!!
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    I've never had a Fuente with the Claro wrapper. I must try one soon.

I'm smoking the DPG Tabacos Baez from the cotm club a couple of months ago. Nice prelight taste. Only got about an inch through it so far.
  • bbc020bbc020 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,422
    I liked that DPG Tabacos Baez....it was an interesting smoke for a connecticut wrapper, seemed like it was more than just a mild cigar. I enjoyed it.

I'm so swamped at work, I would be lucky to get a smoke in tonight, if it is going to happen, I think I'll have a Tatuaje Havana VI Angeles, I've been on a smooth kick lately, time to spice it up a bit.
    madurofan:
    urbino:
    Here ya go, maddy: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/31/books/31sali.html?th&emc=th
    urbino:
    madurofan:
    urbino:
    Here ya go, maddy: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/31/books/31sali.html?th&emc=th
    Heh, thanks. Interesting. He is an odd one, Mr. Salinger.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    madurofan:
    I'm going to start a book thread in the Non Cigar section. Anyways back to this thread. I smoked my final Gran Habano last night the Corojo (#5 I believe). Every Gran Habano I've had has been a dissappointment. They just lack any real flavor. The corojo had a little bit of pepper to it, as would be expected from a corojo, but that was it. Aside from the pepper it was just a bland flavor waste of a cigar. You guys know I don't rate cigars but if I did, this would score a 0 for flavor. Burn was good, construction was good, smelled good. Great cigar until you drew the smoke into your mouth ...
    That's sort of a important thing.. =} I'm hoping to give myself a good smoke tonight, it's been a rough day..