Home Ratings & Reviews

Man O war Virtue

13»

Comments

• lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    Had one yesterday. I was, sadly, a little disappointed. I really wanted to like it. But it just didn't do it for me. The first half of the stick was bitter and bland. The second half was a little smoother and had some of the creamy and nutty flavors that others described, but it was very subtle. I'll stick to the Ruinations.....
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Which vitola did you smoke? I've had a few, and didn't care much for the 44-ring gauge, or the torpedo, but the robusto was rather good
  • Corymc23Corymc23 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 31
    I agree, the robusto really was great (granted I like medium cigars) but I will agree that the 44-ring gauge wasn't much to write home about.
  • Duder2Duder2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 926
    Interesting, the Lonsdale is my favorite size so far. I thought it was fantastic! The robusto was good as well. The toro was good, but not great. Got 3 more sizes to test drive...
    xmacro:
    Which vitola did you smoke? I've had a few, and didn't care much for the 44-ring gauge, or the torpedo, but the robusto was rather good
    I had the Torp. It had some burn issues and a very tight draw with light, wispy smoke out put. I might have to try the Robusto.
    lilwing88:
    xmacro:
    I had the Torp. It had some burn issues and a very tight draw with light, wispy smoke out put. I might have to try the Robusto.
    Sounds like you just had a bad one. Every one I've had so far (even the ones I didn't like) have had a razor-sharp burn, loose draw, and a very large smoke output - exactly the opposite of what you describe
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    Duder2:
    Interesting, the Lonsdale is my favorite size so far. I thought it was fantastic! The robusto was good as well. The toro was good, but not great. Got 3 more sizes to test drive...
    Me too, but Ive only had the lonsdale. I really liked it. Burn was razor sharp & tons of smoke output. Flavors were complex and great!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    urbino:
    I haven't tried them yet.
    Do you happen to have either in your humi?
  • Duder2Duder2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 926
    Fourtotheflush:
    Duder2:
    Me too, but Ive only had the lonsdale. I really liked it. Burn was razor sharp & tons of smoke output. Flavors were complex and great!
    Yup, all have had razor sharp burn, slightly loose draw, and lots of smoke output. I really liked the more concentrated flavors out of the lonsdale.
    xmacro:
    lilwing88:
    xmacro:
    Sounds like you just had a bad one. Every one I've had so far (even the ones I didn't like) have had a razor-sharp burn, loose draw, and a very large smoke output - exactly the opposite of what you describe
    It could have been a problem with my particular stick. The burn issue seemed to be a vein that the burn was running down. So, it was always the same spot that needed constant correcting. The smoke out put and tight draw is what really bothered me. I even tried trimming the opening a few times. I also noticed some tar build up at the cut. I definitely think I got a dud.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    phobicsquirrel:
    urbino:
    I haven't tried them yet.
    Do you happen to have either in your humi?
    I dew. Just haven't gotten around to them, yet. Looking for an opinion, feebs?
    I was going to send ya some if you didn't.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    phobicsquirrel:
    I was going to send ya some if you didn't.
    Ah. I've really got too bleedin' many cigars right now, but thanks for the thought, muchacho.
  • dubiousmonkdubiousmonk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 71
    I had one of these yesterday. I thought it was tasty (although much lighter than I expected). Super smooth and creamy. little bit of spice here and there, toasty with cedar, nuts and leathery notes. All in all a good stick, I got mine in the AJ Dirty Dozen sampler so looking forward to the other MoWs.
  • whoflungdowhoflungdo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 28
    dubiousmonk:
    I had one of these yesterday. I thought it was tasty (although much lighter than I expected). Super smooth and creamy. little bit of spice here and there, toasty with cedar, nuts and leathery notes. All in all a good stick, I got mine in the AJ Dirty Dozen sampler so looking forward to the other MoWs.
    Wow. This is like Deja Vu all over again.. I smoked mine yesterday and just received it a few days ago in the same package... I agree with your observations too.. I didn't notice as much cream tastes as you did, but I did get a hint of it. The spice and leathery notes were more pronounced to me. All in all a very good stick... Hope I enjoy the other Man-O-Wars as much as I did this one. So far my favorite mild-medium with a great flavor cigar is the Verdadero Organic... Cheers!
  • dubiousmonkdubiousmonk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 71
    Indeed! I too am a big fan of the Verdadero Organic, great unique flavor.
    Duder2:
    Fourtotheflush:
    Duder2:
    Yup, all have had razor sharp burn, slightly loose draw, and lots of smoke output. I really liked the more concentrated flavors out of the lonsdale.

Ok, I have had two now. 1 hit and 1 miss. - this sounds familiar?-
    The Lonsdale was fantastic IMHO. Complex w pepper spice, creamyness, nutty, etc. Great construction great smoke output.

I just had the mini solomon or petite belicoso - whatever the name is of it.
    It had a tight draw, minimal smoke output. I was really thinking of chucking it out. Until it hit the max ring guage point in the cigar it was really a tough fckuker.

The flavors were totally different than the lonsdale. No pepper, no creaminess. There were a coupel hints of nice sweetness there, but this cigar felt really out of balance. not a lot of "wrapper flavor" in my opinion.

I did eat a steak before firing this one up. I thought that this cigar would be able to stand up to that full meal though. That had nothing to do with the draw and smoke output issues.

I actually did chuck this thing a bit early, just a few minutes after I took the huge band off. I got a call from work and had to go back inside and work for a bit.
    I wasnt super sad to see this one go

Id say I smoked this for about 50 minutes and could have gotten another 25 or so out of it. I just have a feeling that this is going to shine in the Lonsdale and robusto size.

Even in this vitola it has a very unique aftertaste.

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    I had my 2nd Virtue on 5/2/10. This one was far superior than the first one and I suspect the first one was a bad stick. This was a well packed vitola that produced much smoke and had a hint of resistance on the draw. The burn was near perfect and the flavor was much more pronounced and complex. I am not a big flavors guy but there was definitely some creamy leather working in this one. Also I thought the body was much bolder than the first and packed some punch. A solid medium on body. The burn was long and cool with the flavors changing several times. This stick had a nice long aftertaste and was very enjoyable. It reminded more of why I love the other MOW blends.
    I'm always late to the party that's for sure. I didn't try a ruination till months after everyone else did. Well glad you guy's are liking this baby. I for one have grown to like MOW's. I use to not like the regular but now I dig it. The ruination I really enjoy. I'm hoping to like this one too.
  • TumblerTumbler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 338
    I need to give this a shot also. You got me interested with your description fla-gypsy. Changing flavors, bold body, and long aftertaste. Sounds great.

This is also one of the Beard's top five at the moment.
    Im thinking there is a big difference in the vitolas and how they taste! Ive only had two, but with differents results.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Fourtotheflush:
    Im thinking there is a big difference in the vitolas and how they taste! Ive only had two, but with differents results.
    This is a very good possibility.
    Just smoked a Virtue churchill with about a month or two of rest on it - very good IMO, probably one of my favorites. It smoked a good bit smoother than it did when it first came off the truck - much smoother, and the body only started coming up on me about 2/3 of the way into it, and even then it was a nice mild body. The effect was that I enjoyed the entire stick immensely - I got to smoke a nice smooth MOW, and in the last 1/3, the body crept up on me only a little, so that by the time I put it down, I was really relaxed, but without the jitters that nicotine usually causes.

Definitely a cigar I'll be buying a box or two of once the MOW promo comes out

EDIT - to add to what others have said, the vitola's make a big difference with this cigar - the smaller ring gauges give a more full-flavored experience, while the larger ring gauges give the same flavors, just not as intense/they're more muted (which is exactly what I like)

• wwesternwwestern Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,386
    Had one of these at a bbq yesterday... all in all I thought it was fairly bland. After reading the reviews I'll wait a few weeks and smoke the other one I have hopefully with different results.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    I finally tried out the churchill last week. It was plugged and I got sick of trying to mess with it so I laid it down after about an inch. Of my first 6 pack half the sticks had construction issues, usually very plugged, and the other half were actually smokeable. I liked the robusto, but the figurado, and the londsdale were a bit boring. I've got a second six pack that's been resting since they came out, but I'm not in a super big hurry to try them out anymore. I'll give it another shot eventually. I don't think I'm really looking for what this stick offers anyway. It's kind of in the same class as the Edge Lite. A strong connie that I have to be in the mood for.
  • gripnripgripnrip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    Midway through my first one (picked em up on the DD a couple of weeks ago-robusto) and so far I am impressed. Beautiful construction, perfect draw, great burn. Picking up some creamy cocoa flavors along with some leather. Nice mild smoke. Love the Ruination-this one is good, but less of a committment.
  • vegassparkyvegassparky Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 365
    smoked my first one. i got them on the DD and let them sit in the humi. this is a great dessert smoke. had it after a great dinner ( was catered and had 8 courses from around the world). after the dinner went out and sat on a balcony that over looks the las vegas strip. and the Virtue didnt fail. it burned great...tasted great.....probably my new favorite stick when i am looking for a mild to med.
  • brotheradambrotheradam Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 896
    Hmmm, gonna have to try these.