Home Cigar 101

Plume on older cigars

2»

Comments

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    this is plume

this is mold:
  • Dark RoastDark Roast Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 463
    Picture worth a thousand words. Settles it for me.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    Cammie, how long did it take for these to "plume"? Were they left totally undisturbed during their aging time? What other type cigars have you aged to this stage? What was your typucal or avg temp/RH?
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    Squirrel how long did it take to get these to plume?
  • VisionVision Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,701
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    I forgot about this thread, lol. The cigars in that pic were purchased with a few years on them, then sat in my humi for another few years. I have about 6 or 7 of them left. Whatever was on them has never come back. I have some ISOM Cohibas from 2001 that have had very similar white on them....whiped them off and no stain of discoloration whatsoever.
    Every year I open a different box, from some year in the past. Last year was a Cohiba Esplendido from 2008, this year was H. Upman Sir Winston from 2010. In general, I find that plume will not set in for close to 10 years (6 or more at least), but that might just be the brands I smoke, or the fact that I leave them in the box for so long....I don't really know.

To this day, I still have mixed feelings about plume or mold, but I have never regretted smoking any of those sticks or others like them.

At 11 years old, those are the oldest sticks in my humidor.
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    Hawk55:
    Cammie, how long did it take for these to "plume"? Were they left totally undisturbed during their aging time? What other type cigars have you aged to this stage? What was your typucal or avg temp/RH?
    It took 9 years ? about that for those sticks to look like that. Yes, undisturbed (I leave them in the box as long as I can)...other types of cigars include Cohiba Reserva from 2002, Hoyo de Monterey Limitada from 2007, Cohiba Sublimes from 2004 (only year they were made). I haven't kept any non-Cuban cigars for that long. Why? Because very few Cuban cigars are made with aged tobacco, so I let them sit for a few years before smoking them.

Average temp/RH, about 65 to 70F and 60 to 65 RH, sometimes as high as 70RH, but seasonal. My collection of humis do very well.
  • lcpleellcpleel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,447
    shows what plume kind of looks like 3 with 1 without.
  • jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    whoaaa. cool. it's like powdered sugar yummy.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Hey I. How long did it take to age those Opus. And how much longer to you intend to just look at them.
  • robertgreen30robertgreen30 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,922
    lcpleel:
    shows what plume kind of looks like 3 with 1 without.
    Smoke those babies up!
  • lcpleellcpleel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,447
    kaspera79:
    Hey I. How long did it take to age those Opus. And how much longer to you intend to just look at them.
    I smoke atleast 3 a week and I have passed some around to people on the forum. So I dont just look at them. The robusto is from the original release so Ill stare at that one for a little longer.