Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

Fun and Games

Comments

• urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    I still say the answer is funny looking gloves. Mittens would look the same, though. Unless some of the extra fingers were thumbs. But, really, that would just be silly.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    rusirius:
    Okay... I thought about this for a while and was gonna come up with something ridiculously hard.... but then I figured what the hell, I'll do something easy.... So here goes...

2 + 2 = 4
    4 + 4 = 8
    2142 + 3468 = 7380
    29385 + 19387 = x

What's x?
    50542 ?
  • rusiriusrusirius Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 564
    Okay, here's what will hopefully be the last clue... I'm positive one of you guys will nail it after that...

Given our "funky fingers" example above... Let's go the opposite way... Instead of six fingers, let's assume we had 16 fingers... That means our number system would be base-16... If you've been around computers long I'm sure you've heard the term hexadecimal... That's what hexadecimal is, it's numbers in a base-16 system...

Now since we're going HIGHER than 10, we have one problem that occurs... The "ones" place will need to represent single "digits" all the way up to 15 (remember 0 is a digit too)... We don't have those, so instead we'll substitute letters... so A will be 10... B will be 11... C will be 12, etc... right on up to F being 15...

Now some simple math...

If we're in base-16 and we want to add 4 + 4... That's simple... 4 + 4 = 8....

le's say we want to add 6 + 6... 6 + 6 = 12, but since we can represent up to 15 with a single digit we DON'T need to carry the 1... So the answer is simply C....

Now let's say we wanted to add 9 + 9... That's 18... We can't represent 18 with a single digit... Only 15... So we'll need to carry the 1 in this case..

Now this is the only place it get's a little tricky, but bear with me... If a single digit can represent 15, then what we would know as the "tens" place is actually the "sixteens" place... So if we had a number in hex of 10 it would be 16... 10 in our decimal system is 10 since it's base-10... 10 in hex is 16 since it's base-16...

So we have 18... So we "carry" a 1 over to the sixteens place and what do we have left? 2 right? So that get's dropped in the ones place... Just like normal math... You're just changing the base of the number system... (i.e. where you carry the one)... So the answer is: 9 + 9 = 12... OR if we wanted to represent JUST the answer in decimal it would be 9+9=18... but that looks rather normal huh? BUT..

Let's say we had: 14 + C... Let's break it down... The 14 represents what number in hex? The 1 is equal to 16 and the 4 ones makes 20 right? right.. The C is 12 right? right... So the REAL answer is 20... Why? Because 20 + 12 = 32... 32 in hex is 20... why? because the 2 is in the "sixteens" place... 16 + 16 = 32...

So 14 + C = 20 .... BUT if we wanted to represent ONLY the answer in decimal, it would be: 14 + C = 32...

The same continues on... Except the third place, like our hundreds wouldn't be hundreds, but rather "256s", and so on...

NOW that you know how to calculate in various number bases all you have to do is figure out WHAT number base those problems are in and then solve in that number base...
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    rusirius:
    Okay, here's what will hopefully be the last clue... I'm positive one of you guys will nail it after that...

Given our "funky fingers" example above... Let's go the opposite way... Instead of six fingers, let's assume we had 16 fingers... That means our number system would be base-16... If you've been around computers long I'm sure you've heard the term hexadecimal... That's what hexadecimal is, it's numbers in a base-16 system...

Now since we're going HIGHER than 10, we have one problem that occurs... The "ones" place will need to represent single "digits" all the way up to 15 (remember 0 is a digit too)... We don't have those, so instead we'll substitute letters... so A will be 10... B will be 11... C will be 12, etc... right on up to F being 15...

Now some simple math...

If we're in base-16 and we want to add 4 + 4... That's simple... 4 + 4 = 8....

le's say we want to add 6 + 6... 6 + 6 = 12, but since we can represent up to 15 with a single digit we DON'T need to carry the 1... So the answer is simply C....

Now let's say we wanted to add 9 + 9... That's 18... We can't represent 18 with a single digit... Only 15... So we'll need to carry the 1 in this case..

Now this is the only place it get's a little tricky, but bear with me... If a single digit can represent 15, then what we would know as the "tens" place is actually the "sixteens" place... So if we had a number in hex of 10 it would be 16... 10 in our decimal system is 10 since it's base-10... 10 in hex is 16 since it's base-16...

So we have 18... So we "carry" a 1 over to the sixteens place and what do we have left? 2 right? So that get's dropped in the ones place... Just like normal math... You're just changing the base of the number system... (i.e. where you carry the one)... So the answer is: 9 + 9 = 12... OR if we wanted to represent JUST the answer in decimal it would be 9+9=18... but that looks rather normal huh? BUT..

Let's say we had: 14 + C... Let's break it down... The 14 represents what number in hex? The 1 is equal to 16 and the 4 ones makes 20 right? right.. The C is 12 right? right... So the REAL answer is 20... Why? Because 20 + 12 = 32... 32 in hex is 20... why? because the 2 is in the "sixteens" place... 16 + 16 = 32...

So 14 + C = 20 .... BUT if we wanted to represent ONLY the answer in decimal, it would be: 14 + C = 32...

The same continues on... Except the third place, like our hundreds wouldn't be hundreds, but rather "256s", and so on...

NOW that you know how to calculate in various number bases all you have to do is figure out WHAT number base those problems are in and then solve in that number base...
    Oh no, I've gone cross-eyed......
    Lasabar:
    You attempted to calculate this without first drinking a pitcher of Miller Lite didn't you???
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    rusirius:
    Lasabar:
    You attempted to calculate this without first drinking a pitcher of Miller Lite didn't you???
    Yes sir.....
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i thought the title of this thread was "fun and games" not "College Algebra III"
    kuzi16:
    i thought the title of this thread was "fun and games" not "College Algebra III"
    HEY!, Doodie had no problem with it... ... ... and it's not like he's weird or anything...
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    rusirius:
    kuzi16:
    HEY!, Doodie had no problem with it... ... ... and it's not like he's weird or anything...
    Sometimes it's hard to convey sarcasm over the internet.... Other times, apparently, not so much :P
    the sad part is, i followed all of it. Ive worked with base 8, 12, and 16 when i was in college. ...not for long and it was more to point out other things but enough to get whats goin on.
    Then win, for Pete's sake!
    ive already turned down a few trades and passes and PIFs because im trying to smoke down the humi. the more people send me cigars the less i can accomplish that goal. this in conjunction with having very few doubles that i feel ok trading makes it kinda hard to participate in trades, games, passes, etc...
    kuzi16:
    ive already turned down a few trades and passes and PIFs because im trying to smoke down the humi. the more people send me cigars the less i can accomplish that goal. this in conjunction with having very few doubles that i feel ok trading makes it kinda hard to participate in trades, games, passes, etc...
    Yeah, I'm kinda in the same boat... I'm sitting on the Boffo, and nobody's getting any of those babies. I've also got a few singles that I'm unwilling to part with, and others that I've saved up for the 1,000th post contest and A Pass Deux. Then I've got 18 La Herencia Cubana left, which are good, but that's the only thing I've got in multiples right now. If we draw this out another week or two, I'll be making a small purchase, and I can throw in some extras for the games.

Although I stand by my promise... 3 people PM me the right answer, and I'll go ahead and win this!
  • ScramblerScrambler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 746
    I don't think I'm even eligible to win again yet, but I'm trying to work through this just for fun. Here is where I'm having trouble. Since we have a 9 in the problem, the base has to be at least that high, right?. If it were 9, then the answer to 2142+3468 would be 5621?

But if the base were any higher than 10, then the answer to that same question should end in "A", not 0.

?
    Scrambler:
    I don't think I'm even eligible to win again yet, but I'm trying to work through this just for fun. Here is where I'm having trouble. Since we have a 9 in the problem, the base has to be at least that high, right?. If it were 9, then the answer to 2142+3468 would be 5621?

But if the base were any higher than 10, then the answer to that same question should end in "A", not 0.

?
    I've got one word for you: fractions.
  • StoogeeStoogee Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 157
    I believe the answer is 47761 in base 11
    Stoogee:
    But in base 11, wouldn't 2142+3468=560A, not 7380?
    Scrambler:
    Stoogee:

Actually I think I forgot a step in my answer but 2142+3468 should be 55AA in base 11 am I allowed to edit my answer or post a 2nd guess in the same day? I know the starting rules didnt mention it and rusirius didnt say 1 guess per person per day so I would imagine it is ok but I will wait before I post the change till I hear a ruling.
    Stoog, post 2 in this thread specified 1 guess per day, and as far as I know that's been the standard ever since.

I just looked, and I last won on the 16th, so I'm eligible after all.

I think Shirley here threw us 2 tricks in this question. If the base is the same on both sides of the equation then there is no answer. Not only are we dealing with a non decimal base, but the input and output are in different bases. Input is base 11, output is standard base 10.

The answer is 42. err, 68795.
    Yep thats the answer I had I just forgot to convert my answer from base 11 to base 10.
    Scrambler:
    Sheesh... was that so hard?
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    Me stoopid so I ain't even tried. Y'all be smart.
    dutyje:
    Scrambler:
    Sheesh... was that so hard?
    It was when you're figuring it out on a cocktail napkin, without the benefit of a base conversion calculator.
    ...and you've never worked with non base-10 numbers before.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Stoogee:
    Scrambler:
    Stoogee:

Actually I think I forgot a step in my answer but 2142+3468 should be 55AA in base 11 am I allowed to edit my answer or post a 2nd guess in the same day? I know the starting rules didnt mention it and rusirius didnt say 1 guess per person per day so I would imagine it is ok but I will wait before I post the change till I hear a ruling.
    Damn stoogee at this point I think any number within 10,000 should be considered as the correct answer.. A's B's or double D's they are all good !!
    I agree. A's and B's are a nice mouthful, and DD's are good for sticking your face between and hollering, "Riiiiiicola!"
    Scrambler:
    Stoog, post 2 in this thread specified 1 guess per day, and as far as I know that's been the standard ever since.

I just looked, and I last won on the 16th, so I'm eligible after all.

I think Shirley here threw us 2 tricks in this question. If the base is the same on both sides of the equation then there is no answer. Not only are we dealing with a non decimal base, but the input and output are in different bases. Input is base 11, output is standard base 10.

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

Sorry Stogee.. You were so close! However as scram pointed out.. everything to the left of the equals were all in base-11, while the right of the equal was base-10!

The funny part is, the reason I split bases across the equals was because I thought it would be way too simple otherwise! If only I had known!!! LOL

I won't be back home till Monday scram, but I'll get your package out Tues... I'm pretty sure I have the box with your addy on it, but just in case shoot me a PM with it!
    This is well overdue, but I've been having trouble coming up with a good question.

Since I can't come up with anything else at the moment and sticking with the number theme, guess how many cigars I currently have in my humidor(s). First person to guess within 5 wins. If nobody has gotten close enough by Sunday night, the person with the closest guess wins. 1 guess per 24 hours.

Now I have to count when I get home...
    In what base should our answers be?