Home Cigar 101

New to smoking cigars

Ironmick63Ironmick63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 100
Hey everyone my name is Steve and I'm new to smoking cigars. I'm good friends with lilwing88. I'm just wondering if anybody knows of some good med. body cigars I can start out with and then work my way up to full body cigars. I'm thinking about buying the tin man sampler is that a good one to buy for my first set.

Comments

• zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
    I'm a mild-medium guy and these are some of my favs already...

nub connie
    nub maduro
    montecristo white
    oliva connie
    5 vegas gold
    predomo reserve 10th champange
    tabak especial by drew estates (cafe con leche) , this one is infused and sweet

Welcome to the forums Steve!
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    A big sampler like that is a great way to go. It will give you a wide variety of cigars, and you can let a bunch of them rest since you'll be getting a lot of cigars. There are so many great cigars out there in the "medium body" range that I'm not sure where to start. Brands like 5 Vegas, Perdomo, Padilla, Rocky Patel and a few others make many of their cigars in the "medium" range. There are only a few blends from those brands that I would classify as "Full bodied."

Either way, welcome to the site! lilwing is a great guy and we're happy to have friends of his join us!
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    Welcome to the forums. The Tin Man sampler offers good variety and I agree it's a good place to start. Another thing you might want to do is to sign up for the Cigar of the Month Club, which is a great way to sample.
  • babsdpubabsdpu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 143
    Welcome! I'd suggest Nub Cameroon, Oliva Serie G (Cameroon or Maduro), Nica Libre, or Perdomo Lot 23. There are so many possibilities out there, so do a little browsing around here, see what interests you, and just go for it!
  • Ironmick63Ironmick63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 100
    Thanks zeebra, I wrote them down and I'll be sure to try them all out. Thanks again
    Thanks alot for the information means alot. Lilwing is going to help me on my way.
    I was thinking about something like that to do to get my feet wet. Thanks for the information
    Thanks for the information, I wrote those down and I will make sure I try all of them and some more in the near future. Thanks again
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    Try the "Quote" button so your responses to other members are better organized.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    sightunseen:
    Welcome to the forums. The Tin Man sampler offers good variety and I agree it's a good place to start. Another thing you might want to do is to sign up for the Cigar of the Month Club, which is a great way to sample.
    totally in agreement, especially regarding COTM club, think about the review section in the CCOM magazine, buy the mild and/or medium collection that was reviewed. Gives you a little info, a broad spectrum of good choices, you might also consider the House Blend sampler. Oh, don't get too carried away, time yourself, stick to one or two sticks a day for awhile, preferrably on a full stomach. Enjoy!
  • jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 294
    zeebra:

nub connie
    nub maduro
    montecristo white
    oliva connie
    5 vegas gold

These are all great cigars. You can't go wrong with anything on this list. The 5 Vegas Gold is more of an everyday cigar but for the price it can't be beat.
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    When I started I ordered the Medium sampler and loved every stick. some of the highlights were

RP Decade
    RJ Viejo
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 410
    One of my favorite mild-med sticks at the moment has to be the Camacho Connie. I love that cigar and didnt see it listed here.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    zeebra:

nub connie
    nub maduro
    montecristo white
    oliva connie
    5 vegas gold

Dont forget the CCom Purple Label - excellent price point, and a SUPER delicious, super creamy mild. For that matter, you should definitely pick up the CCom Blend sampler - lots of different types of smokes in there for you to give a try, and its easy on the wallet as well!

Welcome to the forums Steve! Lilwing88 is good dude & should be an excellent guide for you - in cigars, not baseball. Smelly Cubs fan.... :-D

• The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    sightunseen:
    +1 on the Cigar of the Month club. I dont know how often you smoke, but the CotM sampler gives you 1 Featured cigar, 2 Recommended cigars, and 2 Everyday cigars for a total of 5. For me when I first started out, it was perfect - had one cigar per week, plus the Featured cigar for a special occasion thru the month, and then the next box showed up!

It also comes with a newsletter which helped me out tremendously in figuring out what I like & what I dont. For example, I started noticing that a lot of cigars I liked were Nicaraguans, that a lot of them I didnt like had sumatra wrappers, etc. I highly recommend the sampler to all who are getting started. Enjoy!

The Sniper:
    zeebra:

nub connie
    nub maduro
    montecristo white
    oliva connie
    5 vegas gold

Dont forget the CCom Purple Label - excellent price point, and a SUPER delicious, super creamy mild. For that matter, you should definitely pick up the CCom Blend sampler - lots of different types of smokes in there for you to give a try, and its easy on the wallet as well!

Welcome to the forums Steve! Lilwing88 is good dude & should be an excellent guide for you - in cigars, not baseball. Smelly Cubs fan.... :-D

Thanks for the information. I have to go with Lilwing88 with the cubbies also.
  • aron325aron325 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 158
    welcome to the forums. stick around and you will learn a lot.