Home Non Cigar Related

Great Way to Start the Day

sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
Got a nice shiny new jaywalking ticket this morning. No disrespect to the officers of the law on this forum, but I think cops have higher priorities than jaywalking.

Comments

• The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    OMG!!! As above, no offense to our law officer BOTL here, but sh1t like that REALLY p1sses me off! Depending on where you live, I would be willing to bet a handsome sum that at the EXACT moment Officer Friendly was writing you up for the heinous crime of JAYWALKING that a violent or drug related crime was happening somewhere within 20 miles of you. More likely much closer than that!

Unbelievable! Please do me a favor - please go to the scheduled court date and have the "arresting" officer explain to you AND the judge exactly how this is worth the salary your taxes are paying the local police. To serve & protect INDEED!

• GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    Wow, I have never actually heard of someone getting a ticket for that.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    People still get tickets for that?
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    sightunseen:
    Got a nice shiny new jaywalking ticket this morning. No disrespect to the officers of the law on this forum, but I think cops have higher priorities than jaywalking.
    really? that actually gets enforced? Now is that walking across a street not at a cross walk or zigzagging? I'm wondering... btw why didn't you just say, Oh I have no ID, I'm walking!!!!
    The Sniper:
    OMG!!! As above, no offense to our law officer BOTL here, but sh1t like that REALLY p1sses me off! Depending on where you live, I would be willing to bet a handsome sum that at the EXACT moment Officer Friendly was writing you up for the heinous crime of JAYWALKING that a violent or drug related crime was happening somewhere within 20 miles of you. More likely much closer than that!

Unbelievable! Please do me a favor - please go to the scheduled court date and have the "arresting" officer explain to you AND the judge exactly how this is worth the salary your taxes are paying the local police. To serve & protect INDEED!

lol, yeah I'm with ya on this. It's like when I see 3 squad cars with one car pulled over and 9 times out of ten the person(s) in the car are not white. Sometimes I see more than 3, but it seems to be the norm. Then again my best friend had some guy who got shot in the foot or shot someone in the foot at a basketball court live at his apartments. Well the cops figured out where the guy lived and what transpired was utter BS. So the cops came in, the bomb squad, swat (yes gresham has it), and the fire department, they closed down the complex (this is a huge area mind you) no one could leave or go in and they placed snipers around the complex, one was on the patio of my friends apartment who was not home but his gf was with their two kids (6 & 3) who had to stay inside and watch this.
    Now he got off work and had to wait several hours to go home because they wouldn't let him in. Now this lasted till like 9pm and for what? It was crap and just a waste. But they showed that we really have no rights and we as the people are in the mercy of braindead police as they seem to not be able to take orders and think at the same time, much like a lot of the soldiers in this country. Yeah I like that we have cops but they have so went outside their creed over the years.
  • zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
    did you guys read about the cop who punched the 17 year old in seattle area?? he gave her a ticket for jaywalking and her friend interfered and got punched! i'm sure you heard about that Tony.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    phobicsquirrel:
    But they showed that we really have no rights and we as the people are in the mercy of braindead police as they seem to not be able to take orders and think at the same time, much like a lot of the soldiers in this country.
    Whoa there Pheebs, you're confusing the guys who write tickets for a living with the SWAT team, and then confusing them with our military soldiers. The guys who write tickets have discretion, and the one who wrote the jaywalking ticket is a *** for sure, but the SWAT team is called in to save the lives of the cops walking the beat, and the military does what they're told because there's a chain of command.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Please tell us where this occurred? I need to know which states to avoid.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    how much was the ticket for?
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    phobicsquirrel:
    sightunseen:
    really? that actually gets enforced? Now is that walking across a street not at a cross walk or zigzagging? I'm wondering... btw why didn't you just say, Oh I have no ID, I'm walking!!!!
    Crosswalk light was red. It was a one way street. I looked up the street and noticed that people one block up was crossing, indicating that there was a red light for traffic. I got fined for learning how to cross the street without using a walk signal. And I wish I thought of saying no ID.

zeebra:
    did you guys read about the cop who punched the 17 year old in seattle area?? he gave her a ticket for jaywalking and her friend interfered and got punched! i'm sure you heard about that Tony.
    I did see that video and I thought the girl had it coming. She was shoving the cop repeatedly and interfering before she got punched. The punch from the cop was definitely not unprovoked.

fla-gypsy:
    Just avoid downtown Seattle. Apparently city hall is running low on funds...

kuzi16:
    $56, or a box of Nica Libres. The cop mentioned community service in lieu of the fine and I am seriously considering it because I'll be damned if I pay money for this.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    sightunseen:
    kuzi16:
    $56, or a box of Nica Libres. The cop mentioned community service in lieu of the fine and I am seriously considering it because I'll be damned if I pay money for this.
    do it. you may get a seriously easy job for one day. and since it was suck a petty crime you may even get sent home with your papers signed and not do a damn thing.
    xmacro:
    phobicsquirrel:
    But they showed that we really have no rights and we as the people are in the mercy of braindead police as they seem to not be able to take orders and think at the same time, much like a lot of the soldiers in this country.
    Whoa there Pheebs, you're confusing the guys who write tickets for a living with the SWAT team, and then confusing them with our military soldiers. The guys who write tickets have discretion, and the one who wrote the jaywalking ticket is a *** for sure, but the SWAT team is called in to save the lives of the cops walking the beat, and the military does what they're told because there's a chain of command.
    swat? really yeah not buying it. Your confusing what I was meaning, many of our lines of defense don't use their judgment in what is right and wrong. Simply the way it is. I saw it in Afghanistan, I've seen it all over the US by the police. Yeah some do however they have too much power.
    Here in Oregon a few months ago( http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/03/prosecutors_say_12-year-old_gi.html ) a 14 or 13 year old girl was on max (our light rail) with some friends. She was being a bit crazy sort of disorderly. Transit police (i think it was transit) went up to her to arrest her since she was already banned from public transportation and while they were trying to arrest her she hit one of them in the face then they went to work on her, and used a bean bag gun at close range. Now some said she didn't mean to hit him but still, bean bag gun close range? wtf. Now she got busted over it. Now one of the cops chirs humphreys is/has already been involved in a beating that caused the death of a old mentally unstable man. Now this guy is still working with the police, and that's justice. I tell ya the police have way too much power.
    sightunseen:
    phobicsquirrel:
    sightunseen:
    Crosswalk light was red. It was a one way street. I looked up the street and noticed that people one block up was crossing, indicating that there was a red light for traffic. I got fined for learning how to cross the street without using a walk signal. And I wish I thought of saying no ID.

zeebra:
    I did see that video and I thought the girl had it coming. She was shoving the cop repeatedly and interfering before she got punched. The punch from the cop was definitely not unprovoked.

fla-gypsy:
    Just avoid downtown Seattle. Apparently city hall is running low on funds...

kuzi16:
    wait wait, I thought as long as your at the cross walk it's not j-walking. regardless of the freaking sign? wtf?
  • GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 474
    sightunseen:
    zeebra:

I agree, She totally had it coming. I think most people don't realize that cops usually don't get physically touched unless it's violent... so I think he reacted appropriately.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    So, uh...if you don't pay the ticket, do they take your shoes away?