Home Non Cigar Related

Home Brew Beer

2»

Comments

• james40james40 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,450
    My wife just bought me a box kit from Brooklyn brew something. I haven't done it yet but probably will this week. It seems simple but I feel overwhelmed after doing a little research.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i have a pecan porter that i just bottled last weekend. two weekends before that i bottled an imperial weizenbock, and right now i have a session IPA in primary. the next beer is going to be an imperial stout... looking for 14% ABV on that one.
    james40:
    My wife just bought me a box kit from Brooklyn brew something. I haven't done it yet but probably will this week. It seems simple but I feel overwhelmed after doing a little research.
    just remember to take detailed notes.
    and there is no such thing as being too clean. Sanitizer is your friend.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    james40:

Don't over complicate it in the beginning. Once you decide that you like it, you can get into some of the more complicated steps and processes.
    I have an oatmeal stout in the primary and looking to brew a porter this weekend. Wanted to get some staples on tap first. Looking for a good Belgian tripel recipe to bottle age
    i have a belgian double recipe that i like.

not exactly true to style, its a bit darker in malts but still very good.
    kuzi16:
    i have a belgian double recipe that i like.

not exactly true to style, its a bit darker in malts but still very good.
    Might be what I am looking for. On the fence between a tripel and a dark strong ale. Would you mind sharing or do you have it posted anywhere? Thanks
    ill have to dig it out. its a partial mash but could easily be converted to all grain or to all extract.
    Cool. No rush. Still researching. I am strictly all grain now, but the software makes conversion easy these days.
    Thanks
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    Do yall hand out samples?? Lol
    Stop by the house and it is all you can drink. I usually put mine in kegs, so would be very flat if I shipped it. If I get some in bottles this winter I will send out some samples
  • avengethisavengethis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,193
    All this talk of stouts and porters has me stopping at the store tonight to pick some up.
    Tis the season brother. Best time of the year for beer in my opinion
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    I worked in labs for too long and sterile technique is miserable, so I just brew sours and wilds. I recently bottled up a Concord Grape sour that was over 2 years old, still waiting to bottle a Blueberry sour of the same age and just bottled last year's Orchard Cider (Apples, Pears, Peaches, Plums, Nectarines and Apricots - blended and fermented on local, wild yeast and pitched bugs). Also did a quick ferment sour - Agave-Lime Sour, first fermented on white wine yeast, then infected and allowed to sour for just over a month. Oh, and a wild IPA - Citra, Cascade and Centennial - mostly dry-hopped and inoculated with bugs from my other sours.

In the fermenters now: Mixed Berry sour, first on red wine yeast (Montrachet), then inoculated with bugs from several other sours; Mixed Fruit Sour (Concord Grapes, Italian Plums and Blackberries) fermented with the yeast slurry from last year's cider; Backyard Blackberry - fermented with wild yeast from wild blackberries growing in my yard; Tornadeau (a play on my girlfriend's name) Cider - A blend of different apples - some heirloom varietals, Concord Grapes and Italian Plums, wild fermented on the yeast of local, foraged apples.

My basement is like a giant science experiment. I also have meats hanging to dry. Currently, Duck *** Prosciutto with fresh Rosemary and Sage Sprigs.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    kuzi16:
    i have a pecan porter that i just bottled last weekend. two weekends before that i bottled an imperial weizenbock, and right now i have a session IPA in primary. the next beer is going to be an imperial stout... looking for 14% ABV on that one.

That Pecan Porter sounds nice. 14% is tough to achieve. Grow your yeast up nice and healthy. Might want to consider brewing a simple pale, just to get a big enough yeast colony. I've also heard of brewers slowly adding malt throughout fermentation as to not overwhelm the yeast too quickly.
    Rob1110:
    kuzi16:

That Pecan Porter sounds nice. 14% is tough to achieve. Grow your yeast up nice and healthy. Might want to consider brewing a simple pale, just to get a big enough yeast colony. I've also heard of brewers slowly adding malt throughout fermentation as to not overwhelm the yeast too quickly.
    we plan on having a large starter, letting it ferment out. they adding yeast energizer, and letting it ferment out. then pitching Champagne yeast, letting it ferment out. then hit it with energizer again.
    only problem is that champagne yeast doesnt like malted grains as much. we are currently looking for yeast that can hit 12%. we already know of a few that can. if we have a lot of fermentables in there it isnt unreasonable. could be a fun challenge.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    How did I miss this thread... I'm doing my last partial mash this weekend, a coffee stout im going to put on top of cocoa nibs for just a hint of chocolate. Should have my all grain setup up and going by the end of the month. In the kegs are an IPA, a dark strong and cranberry ginger apple cider. Wife likes me to keep an apple cider around and they are easy as hell to make.
  • First WarriorFirst Warrior Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 707
    i have friends, John and Patty who brew their own beer. Last year in Jan. John and Patty were out on their porch sitting in a hot tub at night drinking the dark beer that John had just finished making. It was snowing and they and having a good old time. John got up to go in the house and get his third bottle and slipped on some ice, fell off the porch into a holley bush and cracked his ankle. He made a hit with the folks in the ER as a naked man in a winter night with a busted ankle and big scratches all over his privates. Be carefull if you are naked in a snowstorm drinking your home brew.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    First Warrior:
    i have friends, John and Patty who brew their own beer. Last year in Jan. John and Patty were out on their porch sitting in a hot tub at night drinking the dark beer that John had just finished making. It was snowing and they and having a good old time. John got up to go in the house and get his third bottle and slipped on some ice, fell off the porch into a holley bush and cracked his ankle. He made a hit with the folks in the ER as a naked man in a winter night with a busted ankle and big scratches all over his privates. Be carefull if you are naked in a snowstorm drinking your home brew.
    Just yesterday my wife was suggesting we do something special for Christmas, thanks! ;)
    Jetmech_63:
    How did I miss this thread... I'm doing my last partial mash this weekend, a coffee stout im going to put on top of cocoa nibs for just a hint of chocolate. Should have my all grain setup up and going by the end of the month. In the kegs are an IPA, a dark strong and cranberry ginger apple cider. Wife likes me to keep an apple cider around and they are easy as hell to make.

Looking to try some chocolate and coffee soon. All grain is great. I have tried many different set ups and use a picnic cooler with a cpvc false bottom and batch sparge. 1 cooler which I use for storage in between batches and works great.
    My next is a high gravity stout. Coffee and coco. I'm pretty excited.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    kuzi16:
    My next is a high gravity stout. Coffee and coco. I'm pretty excited.
    There is a Woot stout clone out there that looks tempting. Coffee....cocoa nibs....bourbon soaked oak chips.... 14%ABV.....
    i dont do clones anymore.

i like the process of making something unique.