Home Non Cigar Related

Going back to school

NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 728
So, I work full time... been outta high school for 10 years, did some college... dropped out... blah blah blah... you know the story.

Looking at going back... I never saw myself as the kind of guy to go to Business school... but it seems practical. Any thoughts?

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    NYHCx516x:
    So, I work full time... been outta high school for 10 years, did some college... dropped out... blah blah blah... you know the story.

Looking at going back... I never saw myself as the kind of guy to go to Business school... but it seems practical. Any thoughts?

Hmmm get a trade and/or skill. General degrees are a dime a dozen these days.

• undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    I was a Finance major. If I had to go back, the only business major I would major in is accounting. All the others will give you personal knowledge, but you will be fighting with every other business major for the same job. 10-15 years ago you would have been fine but this economy. . . I obviously don't need to explain.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    Man I don't know about buisness classes but im going back to finish up some of my basics and taking them online and hate it. I need at least a little bit of structure to get things done and there is none. But its good if you like that sort of thing. whatever you choose to go into and do, good luck to ya.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    I am back in school right now. I already have a degree, but I am going into nursing. It's weird, I never realized how true the old saying, "those who pay their own way through school don't flunk out," was. I am taking some classes now that are way harder than a lot of my old classes and I am hard on myself if I get a B. I got good grades before and graduated with honors, but I didn't care as much. Good for you, if you decide to do it. I don't think education is ever a bad thing.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    I just did the same thing last semester. I got my AA, but that was years ago. Ten years in fact. Full time work, family, it's busy. I wish I'd have done this earlier in life, but I didn't have the motivation or desire. Now I'm back in and working on a totally different major. It's challenging, but I am enjoying it so far.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    If I was going back, I'd get my CPA (Certified Public Accountant) - people are always gonna have to pay taxes, and they're always gonna need help.

Anyway, you should know that most business school majors have an easy time - it's a lot of reading, but the tests aren't nearly as difficult as the hard sciences (chem, bio, etc). So it really shouldn't be as difficult as you think
    One2gofst:
    I am back in school right now. I already have a degree, but I am going into nursing. It's weird, I never realized how true the old saying, "those who pay their own way through school don't flunk out," was. I am taking some classes now that are way harder than a lot of my old classes and I am hard on myself if I get a B. I got good grades before and graduated with honors, but I didn't care as much. Good for you, if you decide to do it. I don't think education is ever a bad thing.
    It's also an old saying that the young don't have any appreciation for the university's they attend. It's true - when I went to college, it was a lot of fun, but I never really took full advantage of all the opportunities that were offered. A couple of years really makes a difference in your perspective and you really have a better understanding of the opportunities that are out there
    Not if we go to The Fair Tax ;)
    xmacro:
    If I was going back, I'd get my CPA (Certified Public Accountant) - people are always gonna have to pay taxes, and they're always gonna need help.

Anyway, you should know that most business school majors have an easy time - it's a lot of reading, but the tests aren't nearly as difficult as the hard sciences (chem, bio, etc). So it really shouldn't be as difficult as you think
    One2gofst:
    It's also an old saying that the young don't have any appreciation for the university's they attend. It's true - when I went to college, it was a lot of fun, but I never really took full advantage of all the opportunities that were offered. A couple of years really makes a difference in your perspective and you really have a better understanding of the opportunities that are out there
    Flat tax is better :)
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    xmacro:
    What are you talking about? We are about to have a flat tax. The government will tax and tax, and we will all be flat...broke.
    xmacro:
    You are, of course entitled to your opinion. I prefer the fair tax as it allows each and every person to directly decide how much of the money they earn is paid in taxes.
  • The CankThe Cank Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 799
    I'm getting ready to go back also. A totally different thing than what my first degree was in... I'm not looking forward to it but I am so excited to get in and get my certification.... Today my goal is to find a second job so I can pay off some bills so I can go down to part time to get back to school. 80 hours a week....this sh^& isn't going to be fun but got to do what I got to do !
    The Cank:
    I'm getting ready to go back also. A totally different thing than what my first degree was in... I'm not looking forward to it but I am so excited to get in and get my certification.... Today my goal is to find a second job so I can pay off some bills so I can go down to part time to get back to school. 80 hours a week....this sh^& isn't going to be fun but got to do what I got to do !
    Gaining knowledge is the only way to live without being a burden :) Go for it, it'll pay off in the long run!!
    One2gofst:
    xmacro:
    You are, of course entitled to your opinion. I prefer the fair tax as it allows each and every person to directly decide how much of the money they earn is paid in taxes.
    Vs the flat tax, where you take your yearly income, multiply by 0.14 (14%), and send that amount in. Do it on the back of a postcard. Flat tax makes everyone pay equally - whereas today about 40-50% of Americans don't pay any taxes, the flat tax is applied to everyone without prejudice or favor; that's why I like the idea of it so much (that, and it's put into practice in eastern europe with great effect)
  • turn_keyturn_key Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 90
    It took me a long time to go back to college and several tries. I felt kind of funny being an adult with kids going to college, but there are 2 things I think about education: it makes you more valuable/marketable and it's something no one can ever take away from you.

Do not get discouraged and do not give up. Once you commit and get into a routine it's easy!

If you are already working in a field then look for something in that concentration, but business is not a bad idea. Coincidentally it's something I'm considering now because I'm almost finished with my baccalaureate. Now I'm looking at either a master's in the same field or an MBA in financial fraud.

Good luck. Don't give up.
    xmacro:
    The Cank:
    Gaining knowledge is the only way to live without being a burden :) Go for it, it'll pay off in the long run!!
    One2gofst:
    xmacro:
    Vs the flat tax, where you take your yearly income, multiply by 0.14 (14%), and send that amount in. Do it on the back of a postcard. Flat tax makes everyone pay equally - whereas today about 40-50% of Americans don't pay any taxes, the flat tax is applied to everyone without prejudice or favor; that's why I like the idea of it so much (that, and it's put into practice in eastern europe with great effect)
    Are you familiar with the Fair Tx? Not trying to be snarky, just making sure we are on the same page. Flat tax is better than what we have now, no doubt. However it still doesn't account for unreported income that someone such as a street pharmacist might make. Also, as a libertarian, I like the idea of the Fair Tx in as much as no one needs to know how much money I or anyone else makes. It also rewards living within one's means, being a saavy consumer and saving/investing.
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    I'm going back to school as well. My Grand-Daughter just turned 2 years old and I finished High School 25 years ago!

I am one of the lucky ones. I have a sponsor who is paying all the education bills for me. Books, tuition, new laptop and even my parking will be paid for me. Even the use of my personal vehicle is covered as well as my wages....so I get to keep my house and my pets...maybe even what's left of my sanity.

3 years of College should help me to find work when the economy bounces back, if it ever does.

Good luck to all of you who are headed down the educational path!!

• NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 728
    sigh... had my meeting last week with once school, still shopping around... price as hell isnt it. lol. just got outta dept, and its tough looking at getting back into debt.
    Look for scholarships; if you're the first in your family to go to college, a minority/ethnic in any way, or just have a good sob story, chances are pretty good you can get a scholarship or grant.

Then again, if you're a white male, you're completely SOL
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    NYHCx516x:
    sigh... had my meeting last week with once school, still shopping around... price as hell isnt it. lol. just got outta dept, and its tough looking at getting back into debt.
    Yeah it is. I'm just at the community college and so far am paying out of my own pocket. I think I can do that and be fine for about 2 years, maybe. Once I finish and move to a real college though....I've pretty much accepted that I will just end up back in debt.