Home Non Cigar Related

Places to Stay in Chicago

sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
A good friend of mine (and coincidentally, a fellow BOTL) is going to be in Chicago from 08/18 to 08/22. He's wanting some recommendations on places to stay- something nice and cheap, so not a crackhouse. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks.

Comments

• One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    How cheap is cheap. I have only stayed on a getaway with my girlfriend. The plce we stayed was nice, if small. Because of the size the room price wasn't astronomical, but it was well out of motel six category. It was however only a block and a half from the Hancock Building and Michigan ave and within easy walking distance to Navy Pier, the Art Institute, etc. It is the Raffaello although two separate cab drivers referred to it as the Raphael. We only took a cab to and from the airport and to CB2 because my girlfriend wanted to go. Everything else was walkable, which helped offset the cost of a nicer hotel, somewhat.
  • wwesternwwestern Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,386
    sightunseen:
    A good friend of mine (and coincidentally, a fellow BOTL) is going to be in Chicago from 08/18 to 08/22. He's wanting some recommendations on places to stay- something nice and cheap, so not a crackhouse. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks.
    Your options are crackhouse and gun violence inn.....
  • millennium115millennium115 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 839
    hey buddy, i lived in chicago for 2 yrs, now moved to the burbs...homewood suites( hitlon ) downtown is amazing, right in the heart, and very decent price...it includes an amazing breakfast....and during the week they supply breakfast and dinner ....complimentary( dinner -- pizza, hot dogs, burgers.....nothing like shrimp..)...my parents always stay there....it is 2 blocks west of the" famous magnificent mile " michigan ave.... the price would be like 130 a night.... feel free to pm me..if any further questions...
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    Thanks for the responses. And Wes, I guess he better take a liking to guns and crackwhores real soon, haha.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    sightunseen:
    So many questions....... Is he looking downtown? Near the airport? O'Hare or Midway? If he's looking downtown, I would use a site like hotels.com or priceline and book as late as possible for the best deal. My wife and I stayed at the W one night for $99. I would narrow the search to Magnificent Mile, River North, and the Loop. That will decrease the "shadiness factor" Near O'Hare the choices are limitless. Anything over there is decent. I like the Marriot Renaissance. If he's flying into Midway, then good luck. Nothing over there but crap.
  • turn_keyturn_key Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 90
    Don't stay by midway....ever. Ohare has some nice options and it's in a great part of the city and burbs: good shopping and restaurants.

Downtown is huge so like Marty said he has to narrow it. The W is on 600 N lake shore drive and very nice. I worked there years ago. There is a doubletree on 300 E ohio street 3 blocks from the lake and navy pier. There is also a Sheraton nearby on fairbanks. There are a dozen more up and down michigan avenue, but he might find some bargains in the loop area which is a little further from the lake.
  • MarkHMarkH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 120
    On my monthly trips to Chicago I stay at the Ramada at 49th & Lakeshore drive. The hotel is a little "long in the tooth" but it's right on the lake, decent bar and free shuttle downtown. The non-refundable internet rate now is $99/night. Also, a nice B&M on 53rd Street, Select Cigars. Close to the Museum of Science & Industry, U of Chi and CTA.
  • sumixamsumixam Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 23
    lilwing88:
    sightunseen:
    So many questions....... Is he looking downtown? Near the airport? O'Hare or Midway? If he's looking downtown, I would use a site like hotels.com or priceline and book as late as possible for the best deal. My wife and I stayed at the W one night for $99. I would narrow the search to Magnificent Mile, River North, and the Loop. That will decrease the "shadiness factor" Near O'Hare the choices are limitless. Anything over there is decent. I like the Marriot Renaissance. If he's flying into Midway, then good luck. Nothing over there but crap.
    You beat me to it... my friends and I have had great luck with priceline over the last couple years. Can't beat staying at a $250 hotel for $80.... but then again you have $40 parking if you're driving in.... DOH!