Home Cigar 101

Getting your a$$ kicked

Comments

• RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    Stryker808:
    Each cigar I think, effects people differently, as well as the outside factors discussed above (full stomach, speed etc.) but the LFD Airbender and the JDN Antano - no matter what the outside factors are, still mess me up. Throughs are two of my favorite cigars in terms of taste as well. I just have to carfully plan what Im doing after the cigar before I smoke em. The last Antano I had, I laid down in bed after smoking it, and had to put my foot on the ground to stop the room from spin'n.....whoooa!

10 4 GOOD BUDDY!
  • Big T smokesBig T smokes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 211
    The ruination--- that is a hefty smoke dude.

I was thinkin of trying for my MOW badge. I have had the Virtue and the MOW seperately, and enjoyed them - but I had no clue how the MOW Ruination would hit me. and BOY does that thing pack a punch and a half. I had one and - while extremely tasty - around halfway I started getting very dizzy and upset in the tum tum. I did puke... but I almost did. I plan on going for this MOW badge after maybe a week or so of smokin a cigar every single day to kinda build up to it. I still only smoke like one or two sticks a week and I think it contributed to my weak fortitude in regards to the ruination.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    WowBig T...I was seriously considering going for my MOW Badge....You got me pausing now. I am up to at least one per day and some days two. Never been sick....but have experienced the dizziness or buzz effect. Never really concerned me much, but I know the badge will kick harder than anything I have tried yet. I typically enjoy the fuller bodied stiks and I believe I am still gonna have to give the Badge a try.
  • Big T smokesBig T smokes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 211
    If you are smokin full flavored sticks everyday, just try a ruination and if you are fine afterwrds, you'll probably get the badge just fine.

I just gotta train up for mine :-)
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    It hasn't happened to me yet. I generally don't smoke anything over 6" though. I have had some Churchills of some supposed "Strong Blends" but never had it happen to me. The stronger blends leave what I call "Bite" on my palate. Thats about it.
  • mavmech13mavmech13 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 37
    Happened to me for the second time last night. First was with a Cohiba, wasn't too bad got a little light headed, no big deal really. But yesterday was a Rocky Patel 15th, I know what happened though as I got toward the end I started smoking it way too fast. Got light headed, shaky, almost puked but didn't so that was good. Lasted about 20mins then I was fine, learned my lesson though.
  • SchroozSchrooz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 165
    I am actually looking forward to it just to see what you are all talking about. My first cigar was medium-bodied and I was not even fazed a bit.
  • surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 628
    I had a Perdomo Habano Corojo in the Gordo size, and that thing really kicked my ass. Sweaty, dizzy, spins, the whole deal. I didn't throw up though. No other cigar has done that to me, and I enjoy full bodied cigars. The LFD Air Bender and the Ruination didn't do this to me, I really enjoyed those ones, and a slight buzz at the end from them.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Stryker808:
    Each cigar I think, effects people differently, as well as the outside factors discussed above (full stomach, speed etc.) but the LFD Airbender and the JDN Antano - no matter what the outside factors are, still mess me up. Throughs are two of my favorite cigars in terms of taste as well. I just have to carfully plan what Im doing after the cigar before I smoke em. The last Antano I had, I laid down in bed after smoking it, and had to put my foot on the ground to stop the room from spin'n.....whoooa!
    interesting... the airbender isnt even all that full bodied compared to the Double ligero line. still kinda full but, ive never had a problem with em. the Antano is supposedly one of the strongest on the market. the dark corojo version didnt seem quite as strong as the original, but still had some power to it.

ive found that keeping hydrated will "help" the situation as well. every day i make sure to drink a ton of water. its a god idea as a general rule but has positives in the cigar world as well.
  • MBISONMBISON Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 45
    Joya de Nicaragua Antaño and Camacho Black in one night. Cold sweat, tears and head in toilet...... WON'T DO IT AGAIN!!!!!!!
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    My body's kinda weird with this. I'll be completely fine after a Ruination. But after a Padron Maduro? I got a huge nicotine buzz.
  • RaschNutsRaschNuts Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 882
    my first two MOW both gave me a bit of light headedness more so the first time. dont mind the feeling just got to relax for 10-20 min after and all good.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Doesn't happen all that often for me but it does once and a while. As a person who usually has strong cigars in the morning mostly before eating and such I tend to think I'm immune however not to long ago, actually a week or so ago I had a 5 vegas AAA give me a bit of a butt spanking. I wasn't sick or anything but definately light headed. I don't know why exactly but it sucked. I have never got it from a xxx pwr ranger, lfd dl chisel maddy, cains, olvia V maddy/ V or tats but the 5 vegas AAA did a decent job. Though now that Kuzi and other mentioned it I haven't been drinking a lot of water lately, so that may have played into it.
  • doromathdoromath Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 576
    I've defintely got a good nicotine buzz off the standard MOW and a few other powerful sticks (Cain, etc). The only one that's actually started making my stomach do a bit of a flip was an Oliva V I smoked at the SE Herf (Thanks again Sightunseen!). It wasn't enough to make me put it down and went away quickly but there was a "whoa, I need to slow down" moment in the last third. Still nubbed it ;)
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    opus x and cain each kicked my ass pretty good...smoking in the sun, drinking beer, etc.
  • MBISONMBISON Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 45
    I used to smoke Marlboro reds so I am pretty used to nicotine. But I still get my a$$ kicked from time to time. Specially when I have 3 or more "heavy" cigars in one short period of time. Can't wait to try the new Diesel Unlimited!!!!
  • JZerbyJZerby Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 122
    jship079:
    This is my least favorite part of cigar enjoyment. I was wandering if any one liked it? What cigars did it to you. It seems like cain is a good one for this.
    Just had a ruination do this to me! The buzz was fine but i made the mistake of taking one last draw before putting it down (cuz it was SOOO stinkin' good) and the rest is history. With fuller-bodied sticks, i'm gonna stick with my thing about stopping at the band cuz i took this one down to like an inch or less left...
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    JZerby:
    Just had a ruination do this to me! The buzz was fine but i made the mistake of taking one last draw before putting it down (cuz it was SOOO stinkin' good) and the rest is history. With fuller-bodied sticks, i'm gonna stick with my thing about stopping at the band cuz i took this one down to like an inch or less left...
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    JZerby:
    jship079:
    This is my least favorite part of cigar enjoyment. I was wandering if any one liked it? What cigars did it to you. It seems like cain is a good one for this.
    Runi and coffee in the mornin is a great way to start the day
  • jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    sightunseen:
    Sometimes I get a bit of a body buzz (JdN Dark Corojo), but I rarely get the complete package of lightheadedness and nausea. The last time that happened to me was probably when I smoked my first Intenso at the beginning of my cigar career. I don't mind the body buzz but I don't like the lightheadedness (and of course the nausea).
    I totally hear you on this. The body buzz made me really sick. I had it at a Drew Estates event. I was talking to the rep and I said "hey sorry, I gotta go sit. This cigar is getting me body high." He laughed at me... until I had to go to the bathroom to puke. I still think he's a cool guy though.
  • SmokindaddySmokindaddy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,107
    For me it was an Oliva Serie V Churchill. I was at an Oliva event at the local B&M with my brother in law and father in law. With all the wives back at my house we didn't have much time to smoke. I sucked down the Churchill in 45 mins. When we got back to the house I become so freakin sick. For some reason I wouldnt let myself puke, I really wish I would have. It was about two hours of hell.
  • WaterDemonWaterDemon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 269
    I personally love the feel of me getting light headed. I don't know why. My favorite for doing this to me is the JDN Antano, and it has a good taste which is a plus. It usually gives my body a buzz as well. Nubs did it to me the first time but now it's like any other cigar.

Nothing hit me as hard as my first cigar though. 18 years old, never drank/smoked/did drugs and I smoked a Punch Uppercut(I beleive it was that kind of Punch). Made the sky spin. O.o
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    Im not usually a fan of this feeling, but I will admit there are times particularly when stressed that Im in the mood for a gut punch. And there are certain sticks I will reach for that I know will provide it.

• Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 771
    This is my favorite part of smoking I almost get disappointed if I smoke a strong cigar and don't feel it a little. Just got into the antano and dark corojo due to kuzi hyping up the dark. Both fantastic sticks love the trance the antano puts on me, mow pa also is amazing for this. I found a new favorite brand with joya de Nicaragua thanks kuzi.
  • greg2648greg2648 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,422
    I have had it happen twice to me. First time was a CAO Soprano and the second time was a Cohiba 1966 EL. I think it was due to me smoking too fast.......No problems since......lol.
  • jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    greg2648:
    I have had it happen twice to me. First time was a CAO Soprano and the second time was a Cohiba 1966 EL. I think it was due to me smoking too fast.......No problems since......lol.
    Are those CAO Sopranos hype or actually worth it? I saw some at my local BnM. Feedback?
  • bigfnstevebigfnsteve Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,290
    fla-gypsy:
    I have smoked so many full bodied cigars over the last few years that I have built a tolerance to it so I find it refreshing when a good smoke gives me a buzz. It does happen now and then.
    +1
  • stowggiestowggie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 399
    jliu:
    greg2648:
    Are those CAO Sopranos hype or actually worth it? I saw some at my local BnM. Feedback?
    I've wanted to try the sopranos myself for awhile. I'm curious also.
  • greg2648greg2648 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,422
    jliu:
    greg2648:
    The RobbyRas is a Soprano "Master". Personally, I enjoy them. Could just be some hype. I consider them a Premium cigar.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    20 dollar stick here. Never tried it