Home Non Cigar Related

UP THE IRONS!

Comments

• xIcedGuardianxxIcedGuardianx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 873
    I'll admit that I had the same experience with Seventh Son as Sniper did where it took time, so maybe time will prove me wrong. I'm also aware that the band is in a different headspace and bands evolve over time. You can't expect a band to rehash the same formula every album even if we wanted them to. I digress, but I certainly love talking about metal!
  • MikeMosleyMikeMosley Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 23
    edit-double post
  • MikeMosleyMikeMosley Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 23
    JCizzle:
    The evil that men do lives on and onnnn!!!!

I'm a bit of an odd one, as I'm classically trained, but I'm a little bit country, and a little bit heavy metal. :D
    Hey Jcizzle, I study classical guitar in college, do you play guitar or something else?
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    j0z3r:
    And you know, regardless of what we all think of the different eras of Maiden, I think we can agree on one thing: There are two types of people in this world, those who love Iron Maiden and the deaf. Up The Irons!!!
    LOL Well said Joe, well said!

• JCizzleJCizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,910
    MikeMosley:
    JCizzle:
    The evil that men do lives on and onnnn!!!!

I'm a bit of an odd one, as I'm classically trained, but I'm a little bit country, and a little bit heavy metal. :D
    Hey Jcizzle, I study classical guitar in college, do you play guitar or something else?
    Guitar, brother!
    I think DOD and AMOLAD are great albums! To piggyback on what others have said on here, yes, they are different than the old stuff, but they're good examples of the band maturing and evolving and capturing a more large and epic sound. Honestly, I think those two albums are better than some of their older stuff, like No Prayer for the Dying for example.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    j0z3r:
    The Sniper:
    xIcedGuardianx:
    Unfortunatly the Albums after Brave New Word are all " what were you thinking" for me. You can just tell they ran out of riffs to me. I still love Maiden but it's all about the 80's for me and it seems with the somewhere back in time tour, they know it's what we all want to hear. To be fair, I haven't heard the newest album so I will reserve judgement.
    I actually liked A Matter of Life and Death (Im in the minority I know), but I will give you Dance of Death brother! Had it not been for The X Factor DofD would have been my pick.

The jury is STILL out for me on The Final Frontier. The more I listen to it, the more I like it. The last Maiden album that hit me that way was Seventh Son, which became a favorite over time so I am hopeful.

I don't know guys, I won't tell you you're wrong, but I will say I think DoD and MoLaD (mo-lad, love how that sounds...mo...lad) are fine albums in their own right. To compare them to Piece Of Mind, Number, Powerslave, that just doesn't do them justice because the sound has changed over the years. I suppose an analogue would be comparing Metallica's Ride the Lightning to Death Magnetic, same band different sound...and I realize using selloutica as an example might not work for some, but my point is that some fans like both albums and appreciate them for what they are...that's me with Maiden, I love the old stuff and I love the new stuff as well...except the Blaze albums, just can't really get into those much.

And you know, regardless of what we all think of the different eras of Maiden, I think we can agree on one thing: There are two types of people in this world, those who love Iron Maiden and the deaf. Up The Irons!!!
    Hey now, I need to chime in here. Selloutica? That's garbage. A sellout is a band that finds a group of fans they want and then panders to them, and that pandering deviates them from their former musical trajectory (see: Sugar Ray; see also: No Doubt; see also: Incubus). Metallica HAS deviated, but it has never been to pander to fans, if anything their motive has been to challenge their fan base and see who sticks around, if anyone. They are literally the opposite of sell-outs, and their real fans have stuck around because though the material and style has changed, the essence has remained.

I'm not going to say that Load, Re-Load, and St. Anger were masterpieces, as albums they were pretty garbage, but they each added songs to the catalog that I'd miss terribly if removed. As a musical statement, St. Anger announced a new direction that I couldn't wait to see realized in the following album, and Death Magnetic did not disappoint one bit! That is technically their best album of all time, and I think sonically and emotionally, if I can remove myself from the memories associated with the old stuff, it is also superior. Instrumentals have always been my favorite tracks on the old albums and Suicide and Redemption fits right up there with Orion and Call of the Ktulu, and is musically and thematically far more mature and better structured. I don't know if its the best of the three, but it just might be, and it certainly sticks in my head best. In fact, for me merely hearing or reading the word redemption prompts the playing of the redemption theme/riff in my head, which is pretty damn amazing.

I'm off on a rant and I should stop. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, and I think your post actually agreed with me more than disagreed, but I had to chime in anyway.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I love iron maiden, never saw them live though. I wish though.
    phobicsquirrel:
    I love iron maiden, never saw them live though. I wish though.
    Never too late.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Ken Light:
    j0z3r:
    The Sniper:
    xIcedGuardianx:
    Unfortunatly the Albums after Brave New Word are all " what were you thinking" for me. You can just tell they ran out of riffs to me. I still love Maiden but it's all about the 80's for me and it seems with the somewhere back in time tour, they know it's what we all want to hear. To be fair, I haven't heard the newest album so I will reserve judgement.
    I actually liked A Matter of Life and Death (Im in the minority I know), but I will give you Dance of Death brother! Had it not been for The X Factor DofD would have been my pick.

The jury is STILL out for me on The Final Frontier. The more I listen to it, the more I like it. The last Maiden album that hit me that way was Seventh Son, which became a favorite over time so I am hopeful.

I don't know guys, I won't tell you you're wrong, but I will say I think DoD and MoLaD (mo-lad, love how that sounds...mo...lad) are fine albums in their own right. To compare them to Piece Of Mind, Number, Powerslave, that just doesn't do them justice because the sound has changed over the years. I suppose an analogue would be comparing Metallica's Ride the Lightning to Death Magnetic, same band different sound...and I realize using selloutica as an example might not work for some, but my point is that some fans like both albums and appreciate them for what they are...that's me with Maiden, I love the old stuff and I love the new stuff as well...except the Blaze albums, just can't really get into those much.

Hey now, I need to chime in here. Selloutica? That's garbage. A sellout is a band that finds a group of fans they want and then panders to them, and that pandering deviates them from their former musical trajectory (see: Sugar Ray; see also: No Doubt; see also: Incubus). Metallica HAS deviated, but it has never been to pander to fans, if anything their motive has been to challenge their fan base and see who sticks around, if anyone. They are literally the opposite of sell-outs, and their real fans have stuck around because though the material and style has changed, the essence has remained.

I'm not going to say that Load, Re-Load, and St. Anger were masterpieces, as albums they were pretty garbage, but they each added songs to the catalog that I'd miss terribly if removed. As a musical statement, St. Anger announced a new direction that I couldn't wait to see realized in the following album, and Death Magnetic did not disappoint one bit! That is technically their best album of all time, and I think sonically and emotionally, if I can remove myself from the memories associated with the old stuff, it is also superior. Instrumentals have always been my favorite tracks on the old albums and Suicide and Redemption fits right up there with Orion and Call of the Ktulu, and is musically and thematically far more mature and better structured. I don't know if its the best of the three, but it just might be, and it certainly sticks in my head best. In fact, for me merely hearing or reading the word redemption prompts the playing of the redemption theme/riff in my head, which is pretty damn amazing.

I'm off on a rant and I should stop. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, and I think your post actually agreed with me more than disagreed, but I had to chime in anyway.
    Good post. I kinda threw "selloutica" out there as more of a joke than anything else. I don't much care for anything they've done post Justice, the exception being Death Magnetic, I actually do agree and think it's a fine album, but that says nothing about the band and everything about my tastes. I think a band that doesn't evolve over time tends to get pretty stagnant and sound stuck in a rut, so at the very least I can respect Metallica moving their sound forward even if I wasn't into it. So no hate for Metallica on my end, just poking a little fun at them.
    I really dug Death Magnetic, I thought it was not only one of their best, but one of the best metal albums I had heard in a while, period.
    JCizzle:
    I really dug Death Magnetic, I thought it was not only one of their best, but one of the best metal albums I had heard in a while, period.
    All this metal talk makes me want to start a thread of burned CD passes and bombs...Death Magnetic was great, but there has been some great stuff released in the last couple years...
    Ken Light:
    JCizzle:
    All this metal talk makes me want to start a thread of burned CD passes and bombs...Death Magnetic was great, but there has been some great stuff released in the last couple years...
    I'm on a Lamb of God and Amon Amarth kick right now.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    Ken Light:

Sorry, after pounding away with wooden spoons on pots and pans as a 9 year old to Kill 'Em All, the music after Justice doesn't cut it. As a Metallica listener that elevated them to the status of Gods as they should have been, listening to the horse sh1t that came afterward was mind boggling....I will Say Death Magnetic is good but in a different way from the old stuff....that is the only album after Justice that is remotely enjoyable for me...
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    Diamondog:
    Ken Light:

Sorry, after pounding away with wooden spoons on pots and pans as a 9 year old to Kill 'Em All, the music after Justice doesn't cut it. As a Metallica listener that elevated them to the status of Gods as they should have been, listening to the horse sh1t that came afterward was mind boggling....I will Say Death Magnetic is good but in a different way from the old stuff....that is the only album after Justice that is remotely enjoyable for me...

Why in the Up The IRons Thread are we wasting Time on MEtalica? I have a scar on my forehead (14 Stiches from Smashing my Head againts a Chain Link Fence at Legend Valley In Ohio at a Justice Show during the For whom the bell Tolls..... They havent been worth a *** since! Now on with The Iron Maiden Thread........ Iron Maiden was on the Ozzfest TOur for a while Untill Bruce Bad Mouthed Ozzy on stage .......SHaron Had enough and kicked them off tour... I have been an Ozzy Fan Long long time... way before Iron Maiden came on the scene.... I love Iron Maiden almost as Much as Ozzy.... thing is Ozzy gave Maiden thier Break in the States and they Opened for Him on a couple tours........ Bruce tends to get on His EGO a Bit and that gets Him in Trouble. In My Opinion ....... He and the rest of the Boys need to get thier heads out of thier Asses and Write some good stuff the last couple albums have been like same ole same ole...... The last few shows ive been to have been thier usual Phenominal as usual..... But the visual is only good for the time being at the show... when Im slamming down the road Blastiung the tunes in my car Im not seeing them... UP THE IRONS!
    I'm as big an Ozzy fan as the next guy, but he has some amazing guitarists to back him up and his stuff just kind of sounds like whichever guitarist he has writing his music at the time (Tony Iommi, Randy Rhoads, Jake E. Lee, Zakk Wylde). His next album will sound like Gus G.
    JCizzle:
    I'm as big an Ozzy fan as the next guy, but he has some amazing guitarists to back him up and his stuff just kind of sounds like whichever guitarist he has writing his music at the time (Tony Iommi, Randy Rhoads, Jake E. Lee, Zakk Wylde). His next album will sound like Gus G.

Na I dont think thats it at all........ the musicians have to follw his lyrics.. the style is his, the guitar SOUND maybe be The Guitarist, .. I will say Randy Rhodes Classical Training shows through on his stuff, but Ozzys Lyrics and Rythm still sets the tone , i have seen Ozzy Live with every guitarist he has ever had, including Brad Gillis.... He SUcked.... ! LOL Back to the Iron Maiden
    It's actually kind of the other way around. Zakk (and whoever else) writes the riffs and such, then Ozzy comes in and writes the lyrics and vocal melodies. Maybe my 17 years experience as a musician leads me to overanalyze things, but I can hear a definite distinction between Ozzy's writers. Like I said, I love his stuff and he's probably the best metal frontman of all time, but he has had the supporting cast.
    LOL Well i respectfully still have to disagree and my 35 years as a musician having been Bass player in a metal band from 75-86 , writing tons of music and being the 4th generation musician from a long line of Jazz musicians i still dont see it... Also follwoing Ozzys Carreer and seeing him live over 25 times there may be some of that , definatlery there is Major joining forces in writting , THE bLIZZARD OF oZZ (OZZYS FIRST soLO EFFORT )was written Lyrically before Ozzy ever found Randy Rhodes then it was tweeeked.
    Blizzard is an amazing album for sure, no disagreement here! You've been around a lot longer than I have, but I remember when I first heard Mister Crowley, I Don't Know, Suicide Solution, stuff like that off those two albums, I about sh!t my pants!

Cheers!
    JCizzle:
    The guitarist certainly has an influence over Ozzy's music, but I think its reciprocal and Ozzy's influence is greater because the guitarist wants to write "Ozzy" songs for Ozzy. Zakk Wylde is a great example if you take a look at BLS albums. My two favorite albums were the ones where he was writing with Ozzy a lot at the same time, 1919 Eternal and Blessed Hellride, and they sound drastically different from the albums both before and after when he was not writing with Ozzy. He even said a couple of Ozzy's rejects ended up on the BLS albums and I think you can pick them out if you listen closely enough. Just my 2c, sorry to deviate from Maiden again ::ducks and covers::
    JCizzle:
    Blizzard is an amazing album for sure, no disagreement here! You've been around a lot longer than I have, but I remember when I first heard Mister Crowley, I Don't Know, Suicide Solution, stuff like that off those two albums, I about sh!t my pants!

Cheers!
    + 1 on that! and my personal Favorite Obscure Song... KIller of Giants!
    Ken Light:
    JCizzle:
    The guitarist certainly has an influence over Ozzy's music, but I think its reciprocal and Ozzy's influence is greater because the guitarist wants to write "Ozzy" songs for Ozzy. Zakk Wylde is a great example if you take a look at BLS albums. My two favorite albums were the ones where he was writing with Ozzy a lot at the same time, 1919 Eternal and Blessed Hellride, and they sound drastically different from the albums both before and after when he was not writing with Ozzy. He even said a couple of Ozzy's rejects ended up on the BLS albums and I think you can pick them out if you listen closely enough. Just my 2c, sorry to deviate from Maiden again ::ducks and covers::
    Both great albums. Personally, my favorite BLS album is Sonic Brew, to me it just has that vintage, ditry-blues + classic metal-Zakk sound.
    So back to Maiden...I've been listening to The Final Frontier a lot this past week and I really like that album. What do you guys think of it?
    I like it, I think it's a good album.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    I think its a departure for them... on the first listen, I kept waiting for the songs to explode into a galloping bass line and typical Iron Maiden guitar work (which I love BTW). When song after song after song did not, I was pretty disappointed and didnt pay the album much mind for a few months.

When I finally gave it another chance and listened to it on its own merits and without preconceived notions, I liked it a whole lot better. I think they've definitely grown as musicians and songwriters. And I cant blame them for doing something different - would you want to do something the same way every time you did it for nearly 30 years?

Even if that something was awesome, it would eventually get B-O-R-I-N-G. I think perhaps Maiden realized this and did what they wanted to do - and are waiting (and probably not caring LOL) to see if we the fans catch up with it and figure it out.

As a whole, I think this is probably their strongest album since Seventh Son. It is somewhat of a departure, I agree with that, and it took a few listens for me to start feeling it, but I really like the album a lot. I think refreshing is a good word to use after MoLaD, which I liked but to me it was very dense and serious, this album is more fun.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Yea, but can you enjoy a good cigar while listening?. Miles davis and john coultrane. Stolkholm 1960..
    Well, that's neither here nor there, Coltrane and Davis are fine musicians, no doubt about that, but this is Iron Maiden...I'd never smoke a cigar while listening to Maiden, too hard to sing along. Wink [;)]
    j0z3r:
    Well, that's neither here nor there, Coltrane and Davis are fine musicians, no doubt about that, but this is Iron Maiden...I'd never smoke a cigar while listening to Maiden, too hard to sing along. Wink [;)]

One thing about us Maiden Fans is we know all the words and sing along! LIVE IS AWESOME! I still smoke cigars while listening to them! LOL