Home Cigar 101

Lets play: Mold or Plume?

Dude LoveDude Love Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 315
I got my Bottle Rockets from the Daily Deal in today, and one of them has some pretty suspicious looking spots. I've never dealt with either mold or plume, and after consulting the search function I'm still not sure. It wiped away pretty easily, but I'm concerned with how much of it is in the foot. image

Comments

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Your pictures didn't come up. The plume I've had has only been on the wrapper, it wiped off extremely easily and afterwards you would have never known it was there.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 676
    I can't see the pics, but if it is in the foot, as if inside the cigar wrapper I would say it would have to be mold. I think plume (correct me if I'm wrong) only happens on the outside of the wrapper.
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    That looks like mold to me. I'm no plume expert, but I would imagine it was plume, it wouldn't be limited to the foot of the cigar.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,762
    Heavy:
    That looks like mold to me. I'm no plume expert, but I would imagine it was plume, it wouldn't be limited to the foot of the cigar.
    +1 I have cigars with plume but none that have it in the foot area like that. Then again, I'm no expect either.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    Just my opinion, but I agree with everyone here. It is in the stick, not on the wrapper... just doesn't look right. Can you smell any ammonia smells or musty smells. I know it will be hard because of the tobacco smells, but if it is moldy, it may have that smell about it. I'd conatct c.com.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,910
    If it turns out to be mold, do what I do: smoke it anyway.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    plain and simple...Mold is 3D, plume isn't.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 676
    I can see the pics now...I would call that mold. No way (IMO) that "plume" would reach across the internal foot like that. I would contact ccom, and ask them.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    JCizzle:
    If it turns out to be mold, do what I do: smoke it anyway.
    Dude thats hard core. hahaha.

Anyway Dude Love I'm no expert, but when its fuzzy in the filler it looks like mold to me. I hope they haven't joined the rest of your sticks in your humi yet, but even if they did you've caught it so early that its no big deal. Good luck man, Mold is a bummer.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    Definitely mold. Call up CCom and ask for a replacement. They'll get you squared away.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    wwhwang:
    Definitely mold. Call up CCom and ask for a replacement. They'll get you squared away.
    +1
    call Ccom - no problem.
    and put it away from your stash and watch it over the next few months. I'd love to see how it progressed. Take pics. Hehe.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Yup. Thassa Mold.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    It took me a second to react.. Mold. I've had a few end up like that if they were close to the water pillows. I wipe them off and either plan too, or have smoked them.
  • Dude LoveDude Love Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 315
    Thanks for all your answers guys. Just got off the phone with Customer Service and I've got a replacement being shipped Monday.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    Here is a good example of ploom, dusty as opposed to "blocky" for lack of a better word

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Dude Love:
    Thanks for all your answers guys. Just got off the phone with Customer Service and I've got a replacement being shipped Monday.
    Ccom CS rocks again!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Diamondog:
    Here is a good example of ploom, dusty as opposed to "blocky" for lack of a better word

dude that's mold ;-)
    phobicsquirrel:
    Diamondog:
    dude that's mold ;-)
    I can assure you thats not mold...
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Does it pass the lick test? ...
    I actually smoked that stick the night I posted those pics, all brushed off nice an easy...
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    Diamondog:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Diamondog:
    dude that's mold ;-)
    I can assure you thats not mold...
    was going to say you could send it to me and I'll confirm it Wink [;)]
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    If it's mold and it's spread to the foot, it's likely spread inside the cigar as well - might as well throw it out instead of smoking something like that (not kidding or joking here - I'd recommend throwing it in the trash)
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    Not to jump on someone's thread...but would you guys worry about the sticks this was shipped with? Or just the one that was visibly moldy?
    Ken Light:
    Not to jump on someone's thread...but would you guys worry about the sticks this was shipped with? Or just the one that was visibly moldy?
    Give them a good look over, toss any you see moldy, get the others in to proper humidification, keep an eye on them...
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    ^ +1. I'd isolate the ones it shipped with for a week or two in a tupperware container; if nothing grows in that time, they should be fine. From what I've read of mold, you can wipe it off, isolate it, and if nothing grows back you're ok, but once it spreads to the foot, smoking it would be like eating moldy food - not something you wanna be doing.