Home Non Cigar Related

Springfield XDm .45

ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
So I went to a range today a shot a few handguns. I've been trying to decide which one to get for a while now, and I knew this was the only way to decide. I'm going to go with the XDm .45, but I don't want to get ripped off when I buy it. This will be my first handgun, so I don't know the right places to buy from. Are there any online retailers that offer better pricing than the rest? Would it be smarter to wait until I get to Texas and check local shops there, instead of buying online? And just to clarify, I am buying new, not used, with the whole kit.

As I sort of side note, I will be looking carry this thing concealed. I'm a bit of a bigger guy, and I wear looser fitting clothes already. Any recommendations on a good inside the waistband holster? Also I might want to get a shoulder holster. Just a thought, more worried about where to get a decent price on the gun itself, but I am always looking for input from someone who knows more than I do. Thanks fellas!

Comments

• roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    I say to buy from a local dealer, one that has been around for a while. That way any questions you have they can answer and they should be honest. I don't trust online gun dealerships, but I know some people that swear by them. Another option would be to hit up a gun show. Sometimes they will have new stuff at better prices.

As for holsters, look into crossbreed and galco. A little pricey, but if you are wearing it all day everyday, you want to be comfortable.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    I've heard of Galco gun leathers, heard LOTS of great things about them. I'm ok with spending good money on a holster as long as its comfortable and easy to use. And the gun show idea is something I never even thought of, but that is most likely the best idea based on past experiences. Good call, brother! Thanks!
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,426
    Galco makes an excellent concealed carry holster for the small of the back.
    Guns I can wear shorts and a t shirt and you never know I have it with me, and I am not so much of a bigger guy. The XDm .45 is too big for me to carry concealed. I have to stick to compacts. Like I said though the Small-of-the back holster is probably one of my favorites, and I have tons! inside the pants has always been uncomfortable for me, so I tend to shy away from them. The only one I have I use for carrying where it is legal, but everyone thinks you shouldn't have one or that it is illegal. and it is a Galco Push up...
    Guns
    I am not sure if they make this exact model for the XDm, but it works the best for drawing and re-holstering, after a few quick modifications.

Picking a holster is much like picking a weapon. You must be comfortable with it. I have a guy in Atlanta that I buy from almost exclusively. He calls me four days after I buy any new piece of equipment and asks me if I still like it, or if I want to try something else. The customer service at his shop is out of this world. I always get the best price there too. I shopped around for six months for the first pistol I bought from him, after he told me what he'd sell it to me for. I couldn't beat his price, but I figured he'd go up on the price, it had been six months after all. Still got it for what everyone else was going to charge me, minus taxes, plus trijicon night sights (over $100 value). If you want the best price, he is well worth the drive south.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    DSWarmack:
    Galco makes an excellent concealed carry holster for the small of the back.
    Guns I can wear shorts and a t shirt and you never know I have it with me, and I am not so much of a bigger guy. The XDm .45 is too big for me to carry concealed. I have to stick to compacts. Like I said though the Small-of-the back holster is probably one of my favorites, and I have tons! inside the pants has always been uncomfortable for me, so I tend to shy away from them. The only one I have I use for carrying where it is legal, but everyone thinks you shouldn't have one or that it is illegal. and it is a Galco Push up...
    Guns
    I am not sure if they make this exact model for the XDm, but it works the best for drawing and re-holstering, after a few quick modifications.

Picking a holster is much like picking a weapon. You must be comfortable with it. I have a guy in Atlanta that I buy from almost exclusively. He calls me four days after I buy any new piece of equipment and asks me if I still like it, or if I want to try something else. The customer service at his shop is out of this world. I always get the best price there too. I shopped around for six months for the first pistol I bought from him, after he told me what he'd sell it to me for. I couldn't beat his price, but I figured he'd go up on the price, it had been six months after all. Still got it for what everyone else was going to charge me, minus taxes, plus trijicon night sights (over $100 value). If you want the best price, he is well worth the drive south.
    What's the name of the shop in Atlanta? I want to get some high-vis sights for sure and if I can get them for free, I'm all about it! I'll give him a call soon and see what he can do. Thanks brother
    TacGear(Edit: Click the logo to the left. End Edit)Larkin Cain is the guy that owns it, or his dad does and he runs it, either way, he is by far one of the best guys to buy from IMO.
  • bigjohn125bigjohn125 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 476
    I have had 5 different XD's and 1 XDm. I like the regular XD better, but both are good. I would strongly recommend shooting the XD 45 compact before you decide. It is not real small, but it will be way easier to conceal. It has a 4" barrel, but a shortened grip. It also comes with a short and a full sized magazine. With the full size, it has the same sized grip as the full size gun. Best of both worlds if you ask me. I used to carry one concealed and it was pretty concealable.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 676
    bigjohn125:
    I have had 5 different XD's and 1 XDm. I like the regular XD better, but both are good. I would strongly recommend shooting the XD 45 compact before you decide. It is not real small, but it will be way easier to conceal. It has a 4" barrel, but a shortened grip. It also comes with a short and a full sized magazine. With the full size, it has the same sized grip as the full size gun. Best of both worlds if you ask me. I used to carry one concealed and it was pretty concealable.

I highly agree with this. If you are looking for a gun for concealed carry, it HAS to be small. Think of everything you do all day. You will want a gun that is small, light, and dependable. If it is a large gun, after about 2 months you will find yourself saying..."I don't want to pack that thing, I'm just going to the (insert location here). I would reccomend a sub compact.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    Springfield XD line is fantastic.
    I have never had the XDm series, but I have a friend with XDm 9 and he seems to really like it.
    I have said on here before my wife and I both have XD 45 and an XD 40 subcompact (conceal carry).
    The XD line is just fantastic and very solid, but takedown is quick and easy.
    I would agree that you should probably buy it from a local dealer so they can answer any questions, plus then you can make a decision between XD and XDm and caliber.
    I use Galco for my Kahr 40CW I find that it is a fantastic thick leather holster. I also wear a belt from crossbreed holsters Good luck and remember the best way to treat your gun is to shoot it often and clean it and oil it more.
    I have owned both the XD and M&P, I love both of them. The main reason I stick with the M&P is because it is easier for my 8 year old daughter to shoot. I will not own a gun my kids cannot shot for the simple fact that if they see it and have never fired it it is something 'new' to play with. If they have been to the range with me and fired it and seen the destruction that it can cause they know more instinctively to get me or their mother to deal with it.

Only once has my gun been left 'out'. It was secured in the holster between the seat and center console of my truck and the doors were locked. My wife gave the 11 year old the keys and she went to get something out of the truck, saw the pistol and started honking the horn. It took me a minute to realize it was a distress call. When I showed up she said that she didn't want to leave it there and she didn't want to pick it up! I love the way my kids think, sometimes.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    Keep in mind that if you purchase from an online shop, it will still have to ship to a local dealer. This dealer will charge you a "transfer fee" which can range anywhere from fifteen or twenty bucks (hard to find these days) to 30 or 50 bucks, even higher in some areas. You need to factor this into your price. There may also be shipping charges. Unless you're saving a significant amount ordering online, it's worth the few extra bucks to develop a relationship with your local pusher, err, dealer.

Yes, you need a good holster, but don't the cheap out and hang it on a Walmart belt. The belt is part of the system. Especially with a .45, you need a double layer belt that won't sag or stretch. I recommend the beltman www.thebeltman.net ...not cheap but will last the rest of your life, pretty much.

I personally find small of the back holsters (SOB's) a very bad choice. If seated in a vehicle it's almost inaccessible. If you are knocked down or fall on it, spine damage may occur. If someone grabs your arm when you reach around back, you have NO leverage to recover (try it!).

When I plan to CC, I use a Milt Sparks VM2 IWB holster. Most of the time I choose to open carry, in which case I use a Serpa with retention. My daily carry is either a SIG 229 or 220.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    To repeat what others' have said better than I could - a gun belt, which is much stiffer than ordinary belts, is an absolute must if you wanna carry comfortably and not have the gun sag all the time. I've been using an A&G custom belt and love it so far. For a holster, I've been using a Crossbreed Supertuck - leather side conforms to my body while the plastic side holds the gun securely; one of the most comfortable holsters IMHO. There are plenty of copycats available from some of the big-name holster manuf's, so you can just shop around for one, but definitely consider the 1/2-leather, 1/2 plastic type of holster.

Here's some links; both of these offer discounts to LEO and military personnel:

A&G Custom: http://www.agcustomgunleather.com/

Crossbreed Supertuck: http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/IWB/tabid/56/CategoryID/1/List/0/Level/1/ProductID/1/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

zoom6zoom:
    Keep in mind that if you purchase from an online shop, it will still have to ship to a local dealer. This dealer will charge you a "transfer fee" which can range anywhere from fifteen or twenty bucks (hard to find these days) to 30 or 50 bucks, even higher in some areas. You need to factor this into your price. There may also be shipping charges. Unless you're saving a significant amount ordering online, it's worth the few extra bucks to develop a relationship with your local pusher, err, dealer.

I agree with this 100%

zoom6zoom:
    I personally find small of the back holsters (SOB's) a very bad choice. If seated in a vehicle it's almost inaccessible. If you are knocked down or fall on it, spine damage may occur. If someone grabs your arm when you reach around back, you have NO leverage to recover (try it!).
    This is one of those personal opinions that depends on what you want. I like the SOB because it is very comfortable when you are riding in a vehicle. I started using this one as a recruiter, and was planted in my vehicle most of the time. The fact that it is inaccessible in a vehicle would have very much to do with your size and dexterity. I can retrieve mine from seated in a car with no issues what so ever.

As for the whole no leverage comment, I agree to an extent. If you have someone hold your arm behind your back you cannot draw it. On the flip side you can do this with any holster. All it takes is them holding the right position and you the wrong for you to be SOL in retrieving your weapon.

This also depends on your level of training. If you are not experienced at carrying a weapon and not used to having that option, a lot of people don't think about it till it is too late. If someone is close enough to hold your arm behind your back (or into your side, or touch you in general!) you have passed the point where a weapon will most likely help you anyways. I was put in this situation at a training event and simply spun into the attacker throwing them off balance. He landed on his 6th point with my M&P in his nose. Training is the key to any defensive situation.

As for the spinal injury: sitting on your wallet is one of the most damaging things you can do to your lower back, and most men do it every day. If you get into a vehicle wreck and are carrying on your side you could rupture your spleen. I'm not arguing the fact that you can injure yourself by falling and landing on it, just making a comment that anything can hurt you in specific ways. Every time I take the MA2 out on the town for a stroll it hurts my back! ;)

I have looked into the super tuck through the link you provided though, and i think it would be a worthwhile holster to try out. They say that it is practical to carry as far back as 5 o'clock on the strong side. Would you agree with that? If so, is it comfortable to drive with it on that far back? I am looking at placing an order before I return home form this deployment. I have a plethora of holsters that I use depending on where I am going, what I am wearing (and carrying,and how many). they are like your wife/girlfriend/mother's purses, you can never have too many, and there is always a perfect one for any occasion!