Home Non Cigar Related

For What Its Worth!

beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
It’s been exactly 1 year since I had my first premium cigar.

What?Where?Why?When?Who?How?

Memorial day weekend, 2010. I woke up on a Sunday morning vomiting and expelling all possible liquids from my body. Several dehydrated, bloating, lesions, swelling, sickness, and agonizing days later it was diagnosed that a brown recluse spider had bitten me 5 times in the leg and the poison was swelling my liver. My body was toxic. My name was put on the liver donor list.

Now, I’ve heard rumors that some people find it very hard to quit drinking. I quit in a nanosecond. Many changes followed during that period. Yesterday, my GI doctor presented me with a clean bill of health. My enzyme #s are all normal once again. My sabbatical from alcohol and healthier diet has allowed my liver to heal.

What started out as doom and gloom has ended up being one of the best years of my life. I have never been healthier and happier. Today, as I sit here writing this, I’m respectfully enjoying an EP Carillo and a brandy glass holding 2 drams of 15 year old Ardbeg single malt scotch.

I don’t know what possessed me to enter the smoke shop in the mall. I had passed it numerous times. I was a pack and a half a day cigarette smoker for 35 years. I had chewed on a few plastic tips in the past. I might have even purchased a bag of backwoods at one time, but I never had a premium cigar. I walked into the humidor, not knowing squat. I walked out with a corona sized stick from one of the only names I recognized, “Arturo Fuentes”. In retrospect, I guess I was just looking for a new drug to replace the one I had just given up. It wasn’t intentional.

The rest of the story has been well documented by so many of you. Buy a stick, enjoy it, look for a cheaper way to smoke, buy a humidor, find Ccom, hook up with Tim, find the forum button, click……………………………So many trails of ash litter this wondrous path. And all the BOTLs here have helped make it so.

I have a new respect for alcohol, I no longer smoke cigarettes, and have found a new love in cigars.

For what its worth!

Comments