Home General Discussion

The Newbie welcoming thread.

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    I just noticed that there were 58 guests on this site right now... Why don't you guys come onboard, say hello and offer some experiences. Questions ? Comments ? Everybody is welcome..
  • TshawwTshaww Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 16
    Hello everyone, I am a new cigar lover from Arlington Virginia. I started out with Baccarat's and have tried several different brands, recently finding Arturo Fuente's the best that I have tried. Glad to be here and hope to learn a lot! 
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Tshaww:
    Hello everyone, I am a new cigar lover from Arlington Virginia. I started out with Baccarat's and have tried several different brands, recently finding Arturo Fuente's the best that I have tried. Glad to be here and hope to learn a lot! 
    Welcome!!! And enjoy your cigars!
    Tshaww:
    Welcome to you..Fuentes has so much to offer, I have smoked tons of the Fuente's brand cigars and enjoyed them all..
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    Welcome, Tshaww.
  • sanesane Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 151
    Welcome to the community, tshaww.
  • CavguyCavguy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9
    Hello all, My name is Josh, 25 from Oklahoma, and I am Very new to cigars. I had my first one (a Gurka Centurion) about 3 weeks ago at a Dining In for my National Guard unit. What advice does anyone have for newbie?
  • Garen BGaren B Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 977
    Get a custom sampler from ccom and pick out any random cigar from the list they give you. I did that and chose cigars by size (went with all churchills the first time) and discovered one of my favorite brands 5 Vegas. Oh and if you want a humi but dont want to spend much moola, check out the cigar 101 section and search for setting up a tupperdor. Welcome to the forums!
    Welcome, cavguy. Starting with the Centurian sets the bar awfully high. Garen's advice is good. Buy some samplers and see what grabs you. 5 Vegas is a line with great value. Get a variety of wrappers and sizes and just see what you like. There are a LOT of good cigars out there, and not many stinkers, so this is a good time to be starting out.
    Yeah, the Centurian wasnt so much my idea. It was just the end of the evening and i turned around to someone handing me a cigar so I just thought sure why not and smoked it. Thanks for the advice.
  • TshawwTshaww Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 16
    Thanks for the welcome! Woah I wish I started out with a Garkha...and you got it for free?
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    Welcome aboard Cavman and Tshaww. Lot's of good info. and things to learn here. You will enjoy your stay.
    Yeah I have definately learned quite a bit in just the past couple days. I even found a place in my town that sells cigars, maybe I can find a good one or two try there at least I hope so anyways.
  • ShikaShika Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 13
    Hi. I'm a recent convert to the art of cigar smoking. The first cigar I smoked all to myself was an Oliva Serie G. I've come to find that I often prefer cigars in maduro wrappers. I've tried a couple infused cigars from Drew Estates, but find they're not really my thing, though they were pleasant. Usually when I smoke, I like to just sit and watch the cigar burn and the smoke curl away into the sky. I live in New Orleans, so there's a good chance the weather won't prevent me from smoking all winter. Just as long as it's not too windy--I need to work on my lighting technique.
  • uvacomuvacom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3
    Hey, I'm Claude. I'm 25, I'm in Omaha, and I'm into cigars because I'm a sensory junkie. I just love the way cigars excite the senses. Pleased to meet you. :)
    uvacom:
    Hey, I'm Claude. I'm 25, I'm in Omaha, and I'm into cigars because I'm a sensory junkie. I just love the way cigars excite the senses. Pleased to meet you. :)
    Well, Claude, thats the first time I ever heard anyone explain the reason for smoking cigars is because of being a sensory junkie... But, it does make sense. You get it all when smoking a cigar. Maybe that's my vice as well. I gonna go with that explanation.. Thanks.
  • ScramblerScrambler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 746
    Shika:
    Hi. I'm a recent convert to the art of cigar smoking. The first cigar I smoked all to myself was an Oliva Serie G. I've come to find that I often prefer cigars in maduro wrappers. I've tried a couple infused cigars from Drew Estates, but find they're not really my thing, though they were pleasant. Usually when I smoke, I like to just sit and watch the cigar burn and the smoke curl away into the sky. I live in New Orleans, so there's a good chance the weather won't prevent me from smoking all winter. Just as long as it's not too windy--I need to work on my lighting technique.
    See, that wasn't so hard.

Shika is my girlfriend. She started byt trying a puff or two of my cigars, then decided she kind of liked some of them. I was a little suprised when one evening she said something like "I think the darker the wrapper, the more I tend to like the cigar".
    Welcome, newbies. I hope you don't offend easily, Shika. I mean, you're dating Scramz, so you can't be all that picky, but still, this has been an all-boys club up to now, so you may encounter . . . boyishness. (Not from me, of course, but from these other knuckleheads we've got around here.)
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    Cavguy:
    Yeah I have definately learned quite a bit in just the past couple days. I even found a place in my town that sells cigars, maybe I can find a good one or two try there at least I hope so anyways.
    Hey Cav, where in Ok are you located? I've been working in McAlester a lot here recently.
    Scrambler:
    Shika:
    See, that wasn't so hard.

Shika is my girlfriend. She started byt trying a puff or two of my cigars, then decided she kind of liked some of them. I was a little suprised when one evening she said something like "I think the darker the wrapper, the more I tend to like the cigar".
    Welcome aboard Shika, you going to join Scramz and I at our lil herf next week? OHH I just found out I'll be in nola again Dec 1-5.:) I love that town.
    urbino:
    Welcome, newbies. I hope you don't offend easily, Shika. I mean, you're dating Scramz, so you can't be all that picky, but still, this has been an all-boys club up to now, so you may encounter . . . boyishness. (Not from me, of course, but from these other knuckleheads we've got around here.)
    Psst. Urbi, Check out Shikas profile... She's older than you !! Scrams is a granny chaser! ( not there is anything wrong with that)
    kaspera79:
    urbino:
    Psst. Urbi, Check out Shikas profile... She's older than you !! Scrams is a granny chaser! ( not there is anything wrong with that)
    Holy crap scramz, is she loaded?
    urbino:
    I hope you don't offend easily, Shika. I mean, you're dating Scramz, so you can't be all that picky, but still, this has been an all-boys club up to now, so you may encounter . . . boyishness.
    I don't scare easy. I've been lurking for awhile, and seen what y'all can come up with, and all I have to say is.... soft. :P
    madurofan:
    Welcome aboard Shika, you going to join Scramz and I at our lil herf next week?
    That's up to Scram. A little bird told me you're from my hometown, by the way.

And hey, what are y'all talking about, old?
    Shika:
    urbino:
    I hope you don't offend easily, Shika. I mean, you're dating Scramz, so you can't be all that picky, but still, this has been an all-boys club up to now, so you may encounter . . . boyishness.
    I don't scare easy. I've been lurking for awhile, and seen what y'all can come up with, and all I have to say is.... soft. :P
    Oh, no you di-uhn't! Now it is on, girlfriend.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    lol, welcome peeps
    Shika:
    madurofan:
    Welcome aboard Shika, you going to join Scramz and I at our lil herf next week?
    That's up to Scram. A little bird told me you're from my hometown, by the way.

And hey, what are y'all talking about, old?
    What? what? You're from the beach? How'd you escape? I've been trying for years now ...

You're profile says your 100 ...
    How dare you call me a profile!

My 100 what?

Well, from Chesapeake, actually, but Hampton Roads all the same.
    Ooo, another grammarian. How fun.
    Shika:
    How dare you call me a profile!

My 100 what?

Well, from Chesapeake, actually, but Hampton Roads all the same.
    Damn, LOL YOUR Profile

Where'd you go to High School? Great Bridge here.
    Okka Smiff! (Okay, okay. Oscar F. Smith. But that's not as fun to say.)