Home Ratings & Reviews

1844, who's tried it

2»

Comments

• Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    granneja:
    Had an 1844 last weekend and wondered what everyones opinion was on the right amount of time to age it? I liked it, but was picking up some harshness?
    Two questions come up, you've asked one, and it may be the right one. The other question; How fast do you smoke?. Is the burning end nice and flat when you ash? or do you create a cone of fire that harshens up the tobacco? Very easy to do, and to correct. Happens to me all the time.
  • grannejagranneja Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 382
    It was flatish, the smoke time was somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.3 hours. I have noticed what you brought up in some of the cigars i have smoked before. Also have found the harshness on a cigar that extinguishes and was relit.

I am thinking they may need some time.
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    jj20030:
    i just saw a corona sampler with a 1844 dos capos in it ( baarberpole) wonder if they are coming out with them as i love the lhc dos capos
    Would you consider the CAO America to be a true "barber pole" or does the outer wrapper have to have a more 50/50 look to it? I realize that may be a dumb question, but I have about as much experience with dos capos as I do with brain surgery. Furthermore... if a cigar has 2 actual wrappers(in addition to the binder, of course), but only one is rolled to be visible (so that the cigar looks traditional) is it still considered dos capos, just not a barber pole?
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    BigT06:
    jj20030:
    i just saw a corona sampler with a 1844 dos capos in it ( baarberpole) wonder if they are coming out with them as i love the lhc dos capos
    Would you consider the CAO America to be a true "barber pole" or does the outer wrapper have to have a more 50/50 look to it? I realize that may be a dumb question, but I have about as much experience with dos capos as I do with brain surgery. Furthermore... if a cigar has 2 actual wrappers(in addition to the binder, of course), but only one is rolled to be visible (so that the cigar looks traditional) is it still considered dos capos, just not a barber pole?
    The pin stripe method and the 50/50 method use the exact same amount of both wrappers, it is only a matter of how much is hosing so in theory you could make the the CAO america in a 50/50 instead of pin stipe and it would be exactly the same. You could also do a maduro with Connie stripe or Connie with maduro stripe and the flavor is identical. Same amount of wrapper, just a matter of what is showing and how it is being presented.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    I grabbed 10 of these at a bargain price, can't wait to try them.
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    jj20030:
    The LHC DC is awesome. I need about 40 more of these cigars. And I already have 25...
  • dbeckomdbeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,807
    Marker:
    jj20030:
    The LHC DC is awesome. I need about 40 more of these cigars. And I already have 25...
    Did anyone else notice that the sampler that the 1844 barberpole is in is a AJ Fernandez sampler? I guess the "mystery blender" has finally been revealed publically!
    dbeckom:
    Marker:
    jj20030:
    Did anyone else notice that the sampler that the 1844 barberpole is in is a AJ Fernandez sampler? I guess the "mystery blender" has finally been revealed publically!
    Dwayne....You have had how many 1844 and didn't realize it was an AJ stick? Come on. I know you better than that even in my short time here. Read and respond to your PM btw :).
    Marker:
    dbeckom:
    Marker:
    jj20030:
    Dwayne....You have had how many 1844 and didn't realize it was an AJ stick? Come on. I know you better than that even in my short time here. Read and respond to your PM btw :).
    Bro, I knew who it was from when I smoked the first one!

What PM???
    Sent again Dwayne.
    It's an AJ stick, "the jig is up"
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    Alex Svenson:
    BigT06:
    jj20030:
    The pin stripe method and the 50/50 method use the exact same amount of both wrappers, it is only a matter of how much is hosing so in theory you could make the the CAO america in a 50/50 instead of pin stipe and it would be exactly the same. You could also do a maduro with Connie stripe or Connie with maduro stripe and the flavor is identical. Same amount of wrapper, just a matter of what is showing and how it is being presented.
    Thanks for clarifying, Alex.

I guess if the same amount of both is used, and the person wrapping the cigar has to litterally wrap the cigar in a manner that makes a certain amount of each wrapper show, it seems like it may actually be harder to make a small, precise pin stripe like the CAO America has... either way, I bet it's not freakin easy.

I'm still waiting on somebody to make a cigar with a Criollo binder, a San Andres maduro wrapper, and a Ecuadorian Habano wrapper on top of that! If you find one of those, PLEASE let me know!
    The 1844 delivers very nicely after some rest.
  • grannejagranneja Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 382
    granneja:
    Had an 1844 last weekend and wondered what everyones opinion was on the right amount of time to age it? I liked it, but was picking up some harshness?
    Just tried another one this weekend. Most of the harshness has left, and it turned into a nice smoke.
  • MessickMessick Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 86
    how long is a good wait time on these sticks?
    Messick:
    how long is a good wait time on these sticks?
    I've had em ROTT, and with a months rest and they're great both ways. They do get better as time passes, so have one right away and save some for later.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    smokin my first one, was a little tight on the draw, doing better after the second cut. Thanks Dr. Hannibal
  • RBeckomRBeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,099
    I've received several from my brother Dwayne. This is A great cigar, probably my new favorite as A daily smoke. I plan on buying A box soon.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    I just contacted Tim and he is sending some out to me tomorrow at the deal price. Best customer service ANYWHERE!
  • MessickMessick Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 86
    tried one last night, the extra 50. I was not overly excited but I will not pass judgement until they have sat for awhile
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    Solid smoke, great value, and would make a good everyday smoke. I smoke these when I want something tasty but don't want to burn a $5-$7 smoke for one reason or another (palate is fried, feeling tired, maybe a little stuffy ect) but don't want just another run of the mill meh "value" cigar that has the same old tired flavors.

These stand apart from your average sticks in this range and offer a nice bold flavor, nothing to write home about but a good-very good solid cigar than is easy on the wallet. I love them with watered down hot chocolate (one packet of coco to a full mug of water vs. a packet to 6oz of water per instructions..lol). We are in a definite buyers market so $2.50-$3.00 goes a long way if you are prudent and these cigars smoke above their asking price IMO. You could do better for a bit more coinage but as they are 1844 offers a solid smoke and bang for your buck.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    I just had my first 1844 #50 this Wednesday, it had about 2months of rest on it. The first inch was somewhat spicy but not overpowering, then it smoothed out and had a nice balanced earthy/maduro taste, that flavor profile stayed the same until about the last inch where it got a little spicy again. Very good smoke for the $$ IMO
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    jj20030:
    i just saw a corona sampler with a 1844 dos capos in it ( barberpole) wonder if they are coming out with them as i love the lhc dos capos
    well, saw that sampler was back in stock a couple weeks ago so today thought about hitting it and now the 1844 coronas i saw are now the lhc dos capos, so maybe theres no 1844 corona after all,me thinks someone screwed up,lol
  • NightHawkNightHawk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 246
    there is an 1844 dos capas ive seen in a sampler.. somewhere else, not that ive shopped there for a longg time since discovering ccoms service. but i do occasionally browse through their catalog.
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    NightHawk:
    there is an 1844 dos capas ive seen in a sampler.. somewhere else, not that ive shopped there for a longg time since discovering ccoms service. but i do occasionally browse through their catalog.
    pretty sure thats the one im talking about