Home Cigar 101

Ending A Cigar

handypantzhandypantz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 86
I need your guys opinions on when to stop smoking a cigar. I regularly smoke with a friend who will smoke his cigar to the hilt...leaving little but cigar ash and burned skin at the end, I on the other hand will generally leave at least a couple of inches of the cigar because I believe the flavors get harsh and unpleasant. Is this subjective? Am I doing wrong? So please let me know your thoughts and generally how much cigar you leave to be consumed by the ashtray.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471

i smoke em all the way down too. To keep them from getting harsh i smoke slowly. one puff a minute or so.  take it easy.

that being said, it is subjective. if it isnt good to you at any point there is no reason to keep going.

• CastleCrestCastleCrest Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 51
    handypantz:
    I Am I doing wrong?

So please let me know your thoughts and generally how much cigar you leave to be consumed by the ashtray.

Yes you are wrong!
    This is a serious line you have crossed!
    You will now have to not smoke for 3 weeks.
    Then write a 5 page paper on respecting the cigar!
    After that & only after that - you bath in ice cold water.
    You can now smoke your finest cigar!

_ Just don't stub out the cigar when your done!

I know lots of people that only smoke part of a cigar -
    I smoke till I don't want to - depends on the cigar.

Focus on proper storage & you may find yourself
    nubbing a few more cigars!
    Smoking slowly is always good!
  • golfcigarjunkiegolfcigarjunkie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 61
    Toothpicks work to help with the burned skin. Some cigars are not worthy of nubbing. Some cigars need to be nubbed. There is no right or wrong way do what works for you.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 468
    smoke that thing till you stop enjoying it, and no, please don't mash the cigar into the ashtray when done, its just not nice.
  • handypantzhandypantz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 86
    snuffing a cigar out is too taboo for me.....i always let mine dwindle while i finish the last bit of scotch in my glass
  • ashmasterashmaster Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 237
    I agree with jihiggs. Smoke it till the enjoyment is gone, set it in the ashtray and let it go to sleep peacefully
  • TccargillTccargill Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 23
    I rarely leave anything for the ashtray. My personal opinion on the subject is that if I dont smoke it all the way down ill never know if I really enjoyed it or not. I do smoke it slowly though all the way through. I dont know if its just me or not, but the flavor changes toward the end, maybe not the flavor but the strength of the cigar. If its really unbearable ill let it burn out, but I find it hard to mash someones hard work.
  • CigarStudent.comCigarStudent.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 57
    The point of enjoying a cigar is just that, enjoying a cigar. If it gets down to the point where you are no longer enjoying yourself, you won't be looked down on for setting your cigar down and calling it. To me, there is always that sweet spot about an inch above the end of it, and after that, it's just too much work and hot smoke, so I end it. As far as the ashtray, proper etiquette would be to just set down your cigar and let it burn out peacefully.
  • LuvMycigar.blogspot.comLuvMycigar.blogspot.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 35

I agree with CigarStudent. I smoke mine until the it becomes unpleasant to smoke. Sometimes it is as far as I can smoke it and other times as far up as the wrapper. A key to keeping the smoke cooler is to keep as long of an ash as possible. Plus it looks cool.

Pete T

• PKJHPKJH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 11
    I smoke it untiil I do not enjoy it anymore Depending on the smoke the flavors change several times through the course of the smoke, sometimes of the best are at the last bit of the cigar. Then I just leave it in the ashtray.
  • College_kidCollege_kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 13
    CigarStudent.com:
    The point of enjoying a cigar is just that, enjoying a cigar. If it gets down to the point where you are no longer enjoying yourself, you won't be looked down on for setting your cigar down and calling it. To me, there is always that sweet spot about an inch above the end of it, and after that, it's just too much work and hot smoke, so I end it. As far as the ashtray, proper etiquette would be to just set down your cigar and let it burn out peacefully.
    Quoted for the truth. Couldn't agree more. Though in college, your ashtray is the world, so I just throw it in the woods or trash after I make sure it's out.