Home Non Cigar Related

Accents...

LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
Who here has an accent?

I just want to make sure that I am reading your posts in the correct manner

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Oh, and being from Wisconsin I'd say I have a little bit of a Midwestern accent, not like a U.P. northwoods accent, but I do tend to say (Whiss-CAHN-son)

But I'm not like others in that I do believe that is is SODA and NOT POP, and it is a Water Fountain, NOT a Bubbler
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    When you say Pecan pie, do you say "Pee-Can pie"?
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    I have an accent. Southern, but a specific regional one only found in a certain part of Richmond Va. Can't really explain, or type anything phonetically, but if you're heard it you know it.
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    Lasabar:
    Oh, and being from Wisconsin I'd say I have a little bit of a Midwestern accent, not like a U.P. northwoods accent, but I do tend to say (Whiss-CAHN-son)

But I'm not like others in that I do believe that is is SODA and NOT POP, and it is a Water Fountain, NOT a Bubbler
    You've been watching "How the States Got Their Shapes" too, haven't you??
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Heavy:
    Lasabar:

....... mmmmmmaybe?
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    I live in Oregon. we sound like the people on the news channels. that means no accent for me. for those on the east coast, it's a "stocking cap" or "beanie" not a toboggan. dumb. a toboggan is a sled.
  • grannejagranneja Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 382
    Midwestern country/southern type accent. Spent a few years down in Mississippi and was told I have a southern twang.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Eye ain't ghot no ax-ent. Mose peeple frum Mayne don't.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,762
    Like oh my gawd, like totally fer schure, an accent is ssoooooooo tripendicular...........
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    bandyt09:
    Like oh my gawd, like totally fer schure, an accent is ssoooooooo tripendicular...........
    I always knew you were a valley girl Todd, the facial hair threw me for a while, but I started putting the pieces together.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    I'm hick. I pee off my front porch midday with a cigar in my mouth. Ya'll, howdo, howdie, plum reckon, reckoleckt, so hungry my stomach thinks my throats been cut, seegarz, etc...
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    I guess I have your typical Chicago accent. Lot a dem and deres when I talk. I park my car in a grach. I sit in the frunchroom. And I eat sketti n meatballs. Oh and I say t!ts a lot. Like, "That Casa Magna Colorado was t!ts, you gotta try one."
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,121
    LOL! Cali...yep, thats a valley girl. I think he even carries a little handbag when he is out and about. I thought i seen a chihuahua pop its head up!
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    cabinetmaker:
    I'm hick. I pee off my front porch midday with a cigar in my mouth. Ya'll, howdo, howdie, plum reckon, reckoleckt, so hungry my stomach thinks my throats been cut, seegarz, etc...
    yup. + 1 for hicks
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    Lasabar:
    Heavy:
    Lasabar:

....... mmmmmmaybe?
    That show rules.

And to your question, I ain't got no accent, y'all sumbitches do. And it ain't a POP or a SODA, it's just a COKE. No matter what flavor.
    i.e. "Do you want a Coke or something?"
    "Sure"
    "OK, what kind?"
    My fellow hicks will understand ;-)
    Heavy:
    Lasabar:
    Heavy:
    Lasabar:

....... mmmmmmaybe?
    That show rules.

And to your question, I ain't got no accent, y'all sumbitches do. And it ain't a POP or a SODA, it's just a COKE. No matter what flavor.
    "Sure"
    "OK, what kind?"
    yes, yes I do.
    best thing ever, RC cola and a moon pie.
  • rossdavey2rossdavey2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 979
    bastardized Scottish with Georgia now. If I get annoyed the Scottish comes out, or if I an talking about home. Normally most people ask me about 10 mins into a conversation "Where are you from?".
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    No accent that I can think of, but when I get mad, habits learned from 20 yrs in NJ come out . . . . women, children, gays, straight, blacks, hispanics, asians, whites, and those with sensitivities best cover your ears. I don't discriminate when I swear - I insult everyone, regardless of race, gender, or political affiliation.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    xmacro:
    No accent that I can think of, but when I get mad, habits learned from 20 yrs in NJ come out . . . . women, children, gays, straight, blacks, hispanics, asians, whites, and those with sensitivities best cover your ears. I don't discriminate when I swear - I insult everyone, regardless of race, gender, or political affiliation.
    +! LMAO

I have created new words while in a good string O curse. You might not know what I said... but it sounded BAD!
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    xmacro:
    Heck yeah. I guess I say cawfee sometimes, and the beach is the shore, and you go down the shore, f*ck if I know why. Other than that, not much accent here, but I do stutter. Maybe that's why I have no accent, I've been taught how to talk by so many different people since I was 2 its all just kinda mushed together...
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    dennisking:
    I live in Oregon. we sound like the people on the news channels. that means no accent for me. for those on the east coast, it's a "stocking cap" or "beanie" not a toboggan. dumb. a toboggan is a sled.
    Same in California man, I think most of the west coast is accentless.

I spent the first 14 years in a smaller town in Mass (not much of the typical boston accent there to start out with), and the last 18 in either northern california (Bay Area) or southern california (San Diego), that has no accent so I lost whatever little bit of it that I had. Norhtern California does have loads of really stupid slang though. So I guess I'm the weirdo who sticks to some of my MA slang, but I pronounce my R's.

"Wicked Pisser" just doesn't have the same effect as "Wicked Pissah" though.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    You are welcome to imagine a Chinese accent for me.

"I smoking the one cigar today......so good! Numba one!!!"
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Russ55:
    A Pee can is something people from Arkansas keep beside their bed at night so they never had to leave their sister... Not something I want to make a pie out of.

I have a bit of an accent, but it comes and goes with my mood and the company. When I worked at the radio station a few years ago I trained my accent away completely, but it has returned somewhat.
  • ellinasellinas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 329
    I say "i" and "eye" differently, You know the way southerners say it kind of like "ah" well thats how i say it sometimes, and i also use the word "ol" like "DAMN THAT'S A BIG OL FISH!" and "coke" is used for everything whether is a coca cola, sprite, orange fants, pepsi, mtn dew, etc... is leaving the "g" off of verbs like "running, walking, riding" southern? if so i do that everytime i speak. And i also say "right" as in "Hey you're right near the street"
    Heavy:
    Lasabar:
    Heavy:
    Lasabar:

....... mmmmmmaybe?
    That show rules.

"Sure"
    "OK, what kind?"
    it's obvious which part of the united states you're from.
    PuroFreak:
    Russ55:
    A Pee can is something people from Arkansas keep beside their bed at night so they never had to leave their sister... Not something I want to make a pie out of.

I have a bit of an accent, but it comes and goes with my mood and the company. When I worked at the radio station a few years ago I trained my accent away completely, but it has returned somewhat.
    Best watch yourself dissing Arkansas people, at least one is on here. lol
    I don't have a sister, but your mom likes to cuddle, Texan. lol
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    roland_7707:
    PuroFreak:
    Russ55:

Best watch yourself dissing Arkansas people, at least one is on here. lol
    I don't have a sister, but your mom likes to cuddle, Texan. lol
    Haaaa! Nice comeback! Sister, cousin... What ever is handy for yall right! LoL I gotta crack on the Arky folks, Okies aren't usually smart enough to get the jokes. ;)
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Someone once said I sounded like I was from Wisconsin. At the time I think I had spent all of 30 minutes in WI while visiting my grandma in Illinois, but aside from that I can count the times I've been out of California on one hand and still have fingers left over.
    boydmcgowan:
    dennisking:
    Same in California man, I think most of the west coast is accentless.

I spent the first 14 years in a smaller town in Mass (not much of the typical boston accent there to start out with), and the last 18 in either northern california (Bay Area) or southern california (San Diego), that has no accent so I lost whatever little bit of it that I had. Norhtern California does have loads of really stupid slang though. So I guess I'm the weirdo who sticks to some of my MA slang, but I pronounce my R's.

"Wicked Pisser" just doesn't have the same effect as "Wicked Pissah" though.
    That is the west coast accent. Though I don't know if it's that's the right title for it. There's probably a better, more accurate one. It's sounds kind of flat with no real extremes in pronunciation. To people in other parts of the world it's definitely an accent. That's how I speak, and a lot of the folks I know who live in Southern California. I've been told more than a few times by people in other countries that it's much easier to understand than other American, and British accents. To non-native English speakers at least.
    PuroFreak:
    Russ55:

Yeah, my mother in law says Pee-Can. It's definitely not a vessel for urination. It's a pie. She also says Tuhmaytah, instead of tomato. I guess that's kind of a mid-west thing? I don't know.