Home Cigar 101

Just gifted a Cooler

2»

Comments

• JSaintJSaint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,848
    Just received my 10 wooden boxes from the sister site and I only had to toss one of them. Sticky acid boxes. Now I just have to wait until I can afford the other supplies to get this puppy rollin.
  • ThewelderThewelder Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 679
    J, Not gonna lie you have a pretty cool dad to gift you with such a huge humidor. Being a guy who is well educated around the house (mom and 2 older sister) I recommend the newspaper trick. also from reading others having beads, "burping" it every so often, making sure your cutter stays sharp and having plenty of lighter fluid
  • JSaintJSaint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,848
    Was able to finally start workin on this project. Broke down about 10 cigar boxes by removing the lids, then wiped them down with distilled water, next I filled up the Oasis XL that Tony graciously sent me, and last I placed a bowl of distilled water in there to marinate it all lol. Kept checking it every day and its going up which is awesome cant wait to see how this will turn out.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    I'm confused. So all you have to do is clean it out, throw in humidification device and it's good? You don't have to line the whole thing in cedar?
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    Rain:
    I'm confused. So all you have to do is clean it out, throw in humidification device and it's good? You don't have to line the whole thing in cedar?
    It's good to have some cedar boxes in a cooler to help maintain a more consistent humidity, but absolutely no need to line it with cedar. A cooleridor is a great way to store boxes for aging if you don't have a big cabinet humidor.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    SleevePlz:
    Rain:
    It's good to have some cedar boxes in a cooler to help maintain a more consistent humidity, but absolutely no need to line it with cedar. A cooleridor is a great way to store boxes for aging if you don't have a big cabinet humidor.
    So using the cedar boxes could be compared to when you use more beads/gel/packets then needs, correct? The more humidification you have, the more stable it keeps it, as well as speeding up the rate at which it returns to the desired rh%. When you get a humi, you season and throw in your humidification. Seems like the same principle with the cooler. Thanks for the help! I'm interested because I'm thinking of upgrading.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Rain:
    So using the cedar boxes could be compared to when you use more beads/gel/packets then needs, correct? The more humidification you have, the more stable it keeps it, as well as speeding up the rate at which it returns to the desired rh%.
    this is correct. its so easy even I can figure it out.

and its inexpensive also.
    im thinking of converting most of my collection to plastic.