Home Cigar 101

Joya de Nicaragua Dark Corojo

BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
There just aren't many cigars in the world that are better than these, imho.

that is all.

Comments

• blurrblurr Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 962
    I like hearing that. I bought a box of the corona (peligroso) on a hunch, good reveiws & my new perversion for all coronas. I have had them sitting in my humi for almost a year now, just waiting to break into that box to start enjoying a few every year. Sad I've waited that long, but I have an 11 month old son, so give me a break its been a hectic (but awesome) year!
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    I really love these cigars. The strength, the flavor, the feel, the overall experience... it's what I look for in a cigar. Breakfast, lunch, dinner... special occasion, no reason at all... it's become my go to cigar. I am fortunate enough to smoke some pretty good cigars (many of which were gifted by the AMAZING BORKs on this very forum), and even with a cooler full of cigars, I will buy these any and every time I see them for a deal.
  • NightHawkNightHawk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 246
    def great smokes!!
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    Never tried them yet, thanks for the write up BigT, on my "need to get" list now!
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 600
    I am a fan of these also. Recently smoked a Celebracion recently and liked it too.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    I have liked the JDN's I have smoked but have not hit this one yet. Added to the list of "must try" sticks
  • rossdavey2rossdavey2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 979
    I am gonna smoke one tonight. It's been awhile since I have had one.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i have a few of these. i want to give them time. i feel they will be great with some age.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    Funny "The Beard" and I recently had a conversation on what a great wrapper the JdN Dark Corojo has, he was pointing out how perfect the fermentation makes the leaf.
    I love these they are always consistent and fantastic. Kuzi is right age makes them even better.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    I bought a test flight sampler deal (you know, one of 5 different vitolas) of these and they were funky... had 3 of them and they all provided vastly different experiences... I haven't gone back to them since... i'm sure I'm come across one again soon and smoke it, but that flight was weird...
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    mmmm, got some JDN Dark Corojo Antano's in a bomb, lit it up thinking it was gonna be a dog rocket - they're now one of my favorites :)
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    kuzi16:
    i have a few of these. i want to give them time. i feel they will be great with some age.
    How much age are you thinking? My thought was somewhere in the 3-5 year range would smooth and meld the flavors considerably while allowing the cigar to retain its potency. I have a mazo of 25 laid down for that express purpose, I'm planning on pulling the first one out around the 2.5 year mark.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 908
    BigT06:
    There just aren't many cigars in the world that are better than these, imho.

that is all.
    Good to know! - I just got 10 El Martillos today!
    I'll let them sit for a few months....if I'm "strong" enough maybe I can save 5 or so for a few years.
    j0z3r:
    kuzi16:
    How much age are you thinking? My thought was somewhere in the 3-5 year range would smooth and meld the flavors considerably while allowing the cigar to retain its potency. I have a mazo of 25 laid down for that express purpose, I'm planning on pulling the first one out around the 2.5 year mark.
    if i was to lay a box down i would do 25% for 2.5 years. 25% for 5 years and the remaining 50% for 8 - 10 years.
    seriously.
    they can handle it.
  • grannejagranneja Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 382
    They are fantastic cigars in my opinion. I tried one in a bomb sent by a botl. It got me hooked.
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    kuzi16:
    if i was to lay a box down i would do 25% for 2.5 years. 25% for 5 years and the remaining 50% for 8 - 10 years.
    seriously.
    they can handle it.
    I have enough of em to do this... but I love them ROTT... the longest rest any that I've ever had has been about 4 months. Maybe I like the freshness and stand out nature of the flavors? I would love to lay some down for years, but I would hate to smoke one in 5 years and end up wishing it still tasted fresh... just being honest.

I will lay down a 5 pack of em and smoke one at each year mark to see how I like it... hopefully it will be everything I hope it will be. I know you guys have a LOT more experience than I do when it comes to aging sticks, and I trust your opinions, so I will give it a shot.
    they arent my cigars. i cant tell you what to do with them.

if you like em right off the truck, then smoke em.

i like to age a lot of cigars because one of the first things that happens is that many of the spice/harsh elements fade some.
    i like strong cigars but i am not a huge fan of spice (only in moderation). if you age a few years you can have a strong not very spicy cigar.
    as it has been said many times: its all personal preference.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    I'm not very partial to maduros, but I do like this one. I just dug a full box out of a cooler that has a little over a year on it. Not what I would call age, but at least they're well rested.
  • ljlljl Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 819
    BigT - I'm with you on this one. I keep trying to age a few, guess I'll have to hide them somehow. They are GREAT. Seriously a top 5 for me, I feel like they are an excellent value. I always buy 'em when they come up on a deal too.
  • bigmatt72bigmatt72 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 89
    How do these compare to a MoW Ruination?
    bigmatt72:
    very different if you ask me.

the JdN has a Darker (extra fermented) Corojo wrapper around a slightly modified original Antano blend. this makes it a bit sweeter and in my opinion a bit stronger but smoother (stronger tobacco but longer fermentation) than the original Antano. over all i would say the flavor is a sweet earth flavor with a hint of cream and in the finish it has a good amount of spice and sweet.

the runiation on the other hand has a Habano Ecuadorian wrapper that brings out some of the woodier sides of the Nicaraguan filler. there is a good roundness to this though with a spice that is black pepper in nature. it isnt overwhelming. the undertone to the cigar in my opinion is leather.

the blending styles are very different. this is a bit more "journey" on the ruination than on the dark corojo but i find that each puff is a bit more complex on the the JdN.

i hope that helps.
    kuzi16:
    bigmatt72:
    very different if you ask me.

the JdN has a Darker (extra fermented) Corojo wrapper around a slightly modified original Antano blend. this makes it a bit sweeter and in my opinion a bit stronger but smoother (stronger tobacco but longer fermentation) than the original Antano. over all i would say the flavor is a sweet earth flavor with a hint of cream and in the finish it has a good amount of spice and sweet.

the runiation on the other hand has a Habano Ecuadorian wrapper that brings out some of the woodier sides of the Nicaraguan filler. there is a good roundness to this though with a spice that is black pepper in nature. it isnt overwhelming. the undertone to the cigar in my opinion is leather.

the blending styles are very different. this is a bit more "journey" on the ruination than on the dark corojo but i find that each puff is a bit more complex on the the JdN.

i hope that helps.
    +1 exactly what kuzi said. JdN DC and MoW Runi are 2 of my top 5 and I love em both. Different animals, though. But they are both animals! Full bodied with a LOT of character. The JdN DC reminds me of a LP no.9 much more so than a Runi...
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Of all the dark corojos I've smoked I always have a hard time keeping the wrapper burning well. Seems like they need constant touch-ups. I've got some more getting older and hopefully that helps because I really like the flavors, I'm just easily frustrated with high maintenance burns.
    bigharpoon:
    Of all the dark corojos I've smoked I always have a hard time keeping the wrapper burning well. Seems like they need constant touch-ups. I've got some more getting older and hopefully that helps because I really like the flavors, I'm just easily frustrated with high maintenance burns.
    that's odd. I've never had that problem. I smoke a lot of oily cigars though. That's why I keep my smoking humi at 65%rh... Maybe your rh is too high?
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    BigT06:
    bigharpoon:
    that's odd. I've never had that problem. I smoke a lot of oily cigars though. That's why I keep my smoking humi at 65%rh... Maybe your rh is too high?
    Maybe, I keep it at 67-68. I think maybe I smoke too slow and some sticks are okay with that and some hover on the line of going out.
  • bigmatt72bigmatt72 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 89
    Thank you for your responses Kuzi and BigT, I had my first ruination the other night and really enjoyed it, and I'm glad the response was different flavor profiles but still an animal. So I will definitely be adding this animal to my rotation.
    bigharpoon:
    BigT06:
    bigharpoon:
    Maybe, I keep it at 67-68. I think maybe I smoke too slow and some sticks are okay with that and some hover on the line of going out.
    well they are definitely very oily wrappers. I guess if you need to, you could dry box em first... If it's a common problem for you, I'd definitely drop your rh a couple percent.
  • james40james40 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,450
    I bought a box but ended up giving or trading them all away before realizing what I did. Waiting on a deal for some of these bad boys on the sprint. They smell and feel delicious.
  • MrGreenMachineMrGreenMachine Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 89
    bigharpoon:

I had the same trouble with the Dark Corojos. Dry boxing overnight helped quite a bit. Unfortunately you had to plan when you wanted to smoke one. Just for reference I keep my cooler at 65 % so it's not RH.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 908
    Just had my first one - only rested 9 days - and they are quite awesome