Home Cigar 101

Size/Shape of Cigar and Flavor

wrobowrobo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9
Does the shape of a cigar truly impact its flavor? I have smoked the 5-Vegas Classic torpedos as well as the boxed-pressed robustos (55's). To me, it always seems that the torpedo hits the spot (deeply satisfied) whereas the others were ok (nothing to write home about). Both types of cigars were bought online, and both had been in the humidor for about 2 months prior to smoking. Thx in advance for weighing in on my question! Jeff

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    wrobo:
    Does the shape of a cigar truly impact its flavor? I have smoked the 5-Vegas Classic torpedos as well as the boxed-pressed robustos (55's). To me, it always seems that the torpedo hits the spot (deeply satisfied) whereas the others were ok (nothing to write home about). Both types of cigars were bought online, and both had been in the humidor for about 2 months prior to smoking. Thx in advance for weighing in on my question! Jeff

Yup, that's why they roll them in so many sizes and shapes. It changes the smoking characteristics in many ways. The feel is obviously first. Some like big gauge some not so much. The shape, length, gauge, and roll type all have influences on flavour and smoking characteristics.
    I tend to lean toward gauges no larger then 52 but have found a few sticks (Oliva V Series) which are 60 gauge but are just the cat's meow as far as I am concerned.
    If you find a stick you like, try a selection of the different sizes available in the cigar and look at it as fine tuning your cigar choices to your particular tastes.
    Its a great excuse to try more cigars !!! :)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
  • JKTexJKTex Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 92
    Thanks for posting this question.  I know there is, but knew very little about the basic differences in size etc.