Home Cigar 101

Beads and gel

kardar2kardar2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 43
hi all, Well i did a lot of reading of old post trying to figure out what the difference is between the the beads and the gel in the jar. and what I can tell by the post the beads are better. and the beads are a little more money. I have a 150 count humi with one try on top. Questions 1) will a 4oz tube of beads be enough for my humi 2) Can I lay my cigars right on the top of the cartridge of beads? or will my cigars get wet? 3) Does the beads last as long as the gel in the jar? Thanks for your help

Comments

• urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    I've never had the gel and don't know anything about it, so I can't really offer any comparisons. As for question 1, basically, take the amount that Heartfelt recommends for a humi your size, and double it.
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    I'd get at least 6 oz of beads. Maximize your surface area.. it's all about surface area.. consider getting a tray. Or get a half pound of bulk beads, and put these in the 1 oz tubes and distribute around the humi. I'm finding that triple the beads recommended by the calculator is about what I need. I may not have the greatest seal. I'll be in the market for a new humi soon, finally. I'm getting tired of juggling these tupperdors.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    The difference between the gel and the beads is that the beads not only let off humidity but absorb excess humidity. Despite some claims I've heard the gel does not do that.

duty and urbi have the rest of this covered.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    madurofan:
    The difference between the gel and the beads is that the beads not only let off humidity but absorb excess humidity. Despite some claims I've heard the gel does not do that.

duty and urbi have the rest of this covered.
    Well, I have to disagree. I have one of those humipacks that come in the fuente boxes. As it got older it started to get hard and felt like the inside was kinda like stone. I put it in a humidor that has a higher humidity level and it obsorbed the humidity and is all nice and soft again. However, I could be wrong and those packs use a different type of gel or liquid but it is definately fluid again.
  • kardar2kardar2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 43
    dutyje:
    I'd get at least 6 oz of beads. Maximize your surface area.. it's all about surface area.. consider getting a tray. Or get a half pound of bulk beads, and put these in the 1 oz tubes and distribute around the humi. I'm finding that triple the beads recommended by the calculator is about what I need. I may not have the greatest seal. I'll be in the market for a new humi soon, finally. I'm getting tired of juggling these tupperdors.
    I do have a wooden cradle/ try that came with my Humi for the sponge. I just thought I would gain space by taking it out. I guess I will get the Cartridge and a 1oz tube that should work. how long does the Cartridge last?
    Anybody here ever had to replace their beads?

Me neither... well, that's not exactly true. I just spilled some this weekend because I tipped over a tube with the top off. Gonna have to replace those.
    well thanks guys I am going to buy 3- 1oz tubes two for the bottom and one for the top. I don't feel so bad now to spend the money known that they last.
    kardar2:
    well thanks guys I am going to buy 3- 1oz tubes two for the bottom and one for the top. I don't feel so bad now to spend the money known that they last.
    Make sure you have a digital hygro while your at it.
    madurofan:
    kardar2:
    Make sure you have a digital hygro while your at it.
    OH yeah! I got that . I had that for a few years now
    3 1-oz won't be enough. Seriously.. just buy a half pound of beads, and 2-4 empty 1-oz tubes, and use that cedar tray for a pile of beads. You'll spend about the same, and have more beads. More beads is better. You can never have too many beads. If you do have too many, I'll take 'em.
  • JKTexJKTex Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 92
    Ok, it's time for a stupid question.  :-)

Where do you find the beads?  I find the gel, the solution (which I use now), little packs, but no beads.... 
    Ok, wait, are these the same "RH" beads that for example, "The Puck" uses? 

I have one in my old small humidor that I have to refresh once a week. 
    The puck usually just holds a sponge, not beads. The beads can be found at www.hearfeltindustries.com
    dutyje:
    The puck usually just holds a sponge, not beads. The beads can be found at www.hearfeltindustries.com

It actually has the foam "pad" that sits on top of the beads.  It seems to only be there to hold the beads on place and keep the smaller ones from slipping out the vent holes.
    dutyje:
    3 1-oz won't be enough. Seriously.. just buy a half pound of beads, and 2-4 empty 1-oz tubes, and use that cedar tray for a pile of beads. You'll spend about the same, and have more beads. More beads is better. You can never have too many beads. If you do have too many, I'll take 'em.
    Well The out side dim. of my humi gave me 1440 sq. inches and I know I have way less than that inside and I added a extra 2 inches on the height and rounded up to the next inch on the width witch was about a 1/4 in. I will test it and see how it works and let you know how it did. God Bless our troops so that I may have the Liberties and to be free.
    I'll be picking up a 100- or 150-ct sometime this year. My plan is to use 6 oz of beads. I'll buy a half pound, and use the rest to refill from my earlier mishap, and then distribute the remainder to a friend that I am slowly suckering into this hobby :)

As a reference, my small (20-ish?) humi works with 1.9 oz of beads, but I'll be throwing another ounce in there because I still refill about every month or so.
    dutyje:
    Is it blue?
    why don't you just TELL me the name of the humidifier you are using?
    1.9? You anal retentive SOB. I know you well enough to know this means that you weighed them. How do you function with that amount of anal retention? It has to be like pulling a suction cup off a window everytime you stand up from a chair.
    dutyje:
    Is it blue?

The "Puck" I have is black.  The foam is also black and of course sits under the lid/cap between it and the beads.

It just seems to go dry fast, in my smaller humidor.  But, while it has a great seal, it's a glass top.  I'm testing with the digi hygrometer in that one now and so far, surprisingly, the analog is pretty dang close in the low 50% range with a fresh Puck. It may just be that it's not near enough for even that small one, or I let it get drier than I thought after emptying it.  My new one holds in the 72%-74% range with the humidifier (solution) and hygrometer are on the lid.  It drops a little if I put the humidifier under the tray.

I'm off topic now though.  It looks like those are the "beads". :o)
    Never seen a black puck with beads. Beads are easy to identify.. they look like beads. I don't know what rH they're rated for, or anything like that. Can't really help you, I guess.
    For those people looking for beads this is what I found out: You can get the beads at:www.hearfeltindustries.com Measure your humi (W) x (H) x (L) = square in. there is a calculator on heart felt web site. In the threads every one says you want to order double the amount of beads for your humi. The beads will last about 5 years. All you need to do is add distilled water to the beads.
  • leonardleonard Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 359
    I bought bulk beads and made bead tubes out of old tubos. Just get a safety pin and punch a alot of holes in it and fill it with beads. I used the humidifiers that came with the humis and took out the foam and replaced it with beads in an old nylon stocking. Works great. Humidity never fluctuates. Alot cheaper. Just my 2 cents.
    leonard:
    Alot cheaper.
    Only if you have smoked a lot of tubos, and kept the tubes.

I've got a few old plastic film containers (a few of you may remember those). I've drilled a bunch of holes in them and filled them with catnip as toys for our cats. That works pretty well. Maybe I'll see if I've got some un-nipped containers around.

Somebody (smoke?) suggested using women's nylon stockings.

I agree that the empty tubes are quite over-priced.
    leonard:
    I bought bulk beads and made bead tubes out of old tubos. Just get a safety pin and punch a alot of holes in it and fill it with beads. I used the humidifiers that came with the humis and took out the foam and replaced it with beads in an old nylon stocking. Works great. Humidity never fluctuates. Alot cheaper. Just my 2 cents.
    OK I have to ask a stupid question: do the beads drip? so you add the water how do you know when you have enough water? or do you take them out and put them in a dish of water?
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    kardar2:
    leonard:
    OK I have to ask a stupid question: do the beads drip? so you add the water how do you know when you have enough water? or do you take them out and put them in a dish of water?

The beads will absord as much water as they can hold and then just stop absorbing more. A quick wipe of the outside of the container you are using is all that is required. The beads will not drip onto your sticks.
    I just charge them in a dish, and then add some uncharged ones along with the charged ones (about 10% uncharged) when placing them into the container. This leaves some beads dry and ready to absorb any excess moisture, while allowing the saturated beads to do their work.
  • xanderxander Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8
    dutyje:
    Where can you get the empty tubes? I've found full tubes but can't seem to come up with a place that has empty ones. n/m just found them over at heartfelt. Think I'll come up with a cheaper solution for my beads =(
    madurofan:
    1.9? You anal retentive SOB. I know you well enough to know this means that you weighed them. How do you function with that amount of anal retention? It has to be like pulling a suction cup off a window everytime you stand up from a chair.
    LMAO!! How did I miss this before? Must have been reading too fast :)

No.. I took the green sponge out of my black puck that came with my humi. It attaches to the top with a magnet, and does a fine job of staying out of the way of everything. I filled the puck back up with beads as much as would fit. Almost a full tube fit, leaving behind about 10% of the beads from the tube. I rebuilt the puck and stuck it back on the lid. The remaining nearly-empty tube is sitting in one of my tupperdors, waiting to be replenished when I order a half pound of beads.
    xander:
    dutyje:
    Where can you get the empty tubes? I've found full tubes but can't seem to come up with a place that has empty ones. n/m just found them over at heartfelt. Think I'll come up with a cheaper solution for my beads =(
    tip that I heard today: Take some plastic torpedo tubes and poke holes in them with a safety pen then add your beads, or any container like that will work.