Home Ratings & Reviews

Pueblo Dominicano

Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
Anyone try the new one by AJ?

Comments

• robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    I didn't realize they were in yet... gonna put them at the top of my list... I assume you've had it Alex... any impressions you can share?
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,036
    Alex Svenson:
    Anyone try the new one by AJ?
    ///// Yes. It's a really solid smoke. Very nice flavors and slightly complex. Of course, at first I was going to try to compare it to the PD Series II, but since the new one isn't a Jose Blanco blend and isn't rolled at the La Aurora factory, it wouldn't be a fair comparison.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    I smoked the one that came in this month's COTM selection. I thought it was incredible. I would love to read anyone else's reviews on this stick.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    I'm smoking 1 right now, the toro I think. It's an interesting smoke.
  • asianbiker8asianbiker8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 551
    Russ55:
    Interesting good? Bad? Haven't made up your mind yet?
  • pbchevopbchevo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 712
    i have one in my humi i think ill light it up later on this week
    asianbiker8:
    Russ55:
    Hadn't made up my mind when I was posting that, but I think it's interesting in a good way. It doesn't taste like an AJ smoke, to me at least, and it doesn't really strike me as Dominican either, but what the hell do I know? It tastes a little more Nicaraguan to me than anything. I think it's a good stick, but it didn't blow me away. Easy draw, stayed lit for a long time, tons of smoke. It had a toasty/sweet aspect to the aroma that was really nice. I would give try one if you haven't.
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    Russ55:
    asianbiker8:
    Russ55:
    Hadn't made up my mind when I was posting that, but I think it's interesting in a good way. It doesn't taste like an AJ smoke, to me at least, and it doesn't really strike me as Dominican either, but what the hell do I know? It tastes a little more Nicaraguan to me than anything. I think it's a good stick, but it didn't blow me away. Easy draw, stayed lit for a long time, tons of smoke. It had a toasty/sweet aspect to the aroma that was really nice. I would give try one if you haven't.
    By Nicaraguan do you mean that slight tang and spice that you normally get specifically from Nicaraguan tobacco? From my own experience and that of some very seasoned aficionados, Nicaraguan leaf has a spice to it that is very distinctive and also has a slightly sour and salty tang... almost citrus like, and those are the two reasons that Nicaraguan is my favorite tobacco.
    I'm tasting Dominican filler, but that dark, sun-grown wrapper is really what carries this cigar. IMO. Would love to see a professional review.
  • big chunksbig chunks Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,607
    I got a few of these for Christmas can't wait to try it
  • Bucking WBucking W Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 206
    Good price for a box too, The description states they have a nice peppery taste. Is that accurate? If it is I might have to buy a box. Like to hear a little more on these.
    90+ Irishman:
    Russ55:
    asianbiker8:
    Russ55:
    By Nicaraguan do you mean that slight tang and spice that you normally get specifically from Nicaraguan tobacco? From my own experience and that of some very seasoned aficionados, Nicaraguan leaf has a spice to it that is very distinctive and also has a slightly sour and salty tang... almost citrus like, and those are the two reasons that Nicaraguan is my favorite tobacco.
    Yeah, kind of. To me it has that rich, heavy, palate staining feel to it that I normally find in Nicaraguan cigars. It's hard to describe, it's part flavor, part aroma, part "feel".
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    Smoked the one from the COTM yesterday, very very nice! Solid feel, beautiful wrapper, smooth easy draw, and (to me, anyway) tasted like toasted rye bread with tea and just a touch of spice. I liked it from first to last, let it go out when I couldn't hold it anymore.
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    Guess I should've posted this here instead of the whatcha smoking this morning thread... but anyways, I smoked one this morning, and liked it a lot!

BigT06:
    BigT06:
    Just fired up my first Pueblo Dominicano. Only 3 puffs in, but I can say this cigar certainly has unique characteristics. I will report back later with a more solid opinion. Good start, though.
    Update:

now approaching the 1hr 45min mark (with about a half inch of smoking left), and I gotta say, this baby has kept my attention the whole way. Not only is the burn, draw, and overall construction great, but this thing is crazy complex. Very good taste and flavor profile. Ever changing characteristic (all of which are unique, I might add!). But another thing that has really stood out to me is the mouth feel of the smoke... it is different than any other cigar I have ever smoked, and honestly, not even similar to any cigar I have ever smoked. I swear it's like you can actually feel the complexities swirling around in the smoke. It's very cool.

all in all, this is one of the most unique cigars I have ever had the pleasure of smoking. I am VERY glad I got a 10 pack of em, and based on the aging potential I see in them, I will prob grab another to put up for a while. I really enjoyed this one.

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
    Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

if you have been thinking about trying this blend, do it! I would love for someone with a super developed palate to review one of these for us... kuzi... Alex... throw us a bone, here. lol
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    Nice review BigT06. I guess with the comments made here by those who have tried them makes these the first item on the list to make up my next order.:sigh:
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    This is a really great cigar. As certain notes of AJ but is a more unique offering from his camp. Kind of a man o war meets LHC.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    Alex Svenson:
    This is a really great cigar. As certain notes of AJ but is a more unique offering from his camp. Kind of a man o war meets LHC.
    How many new blends for AJ this year?
  • rudel.dietrichrudel.dietrich Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 33
    Sorry to bump an old thread but I had one of these last night and I wanted to offer my thoughts. This was my first ever Sprint Sale buy and I got 10 of these at an incredible price. They have been in my humidor in cellophane for about three weeks.

The wrapped had a very slight oily feel and the construction was excellent. The wrapper was an earth brown colour. I bought the torpedo version and the cut was smooth and easy. The smell was not very sweet but had earth notes and hay. The lick test was more earth and leather.

The light was pretty easy with my torch lighter and took about 15 seconds. It was easy to get the burn going and the burn was dead even and stayed consistent for the whole stick. I only had to knock the ash off three times the entire stick. The ash was very tight which only reinforced the quality construction. The draw was very good and I got a good mouth full of smoke with little effort.

On the taste front there was some spice and pepper on the first few draws which died down. I was not hit with the ultra complexity like others have noted. The flavour profile was very very earthy and the best way I can describe it is that it had a very rich and full tobacco taste. Much like a premium and expensive cigarette. That is not a knock on the cigar at all. I never got much sweetness from the stick. It just had an overwhelming profile of earth and some medium spice. I would label this on the fuller side of a medium cigar.

The flavour stayed the same throghout the entire burn and that is why I would not label it complex. It got hot down toward the final third. The cigar on the pre light was very firm but gave a little when squeezed. As I smoked it it became more and more squishy.

I would give the cigar a 92 on burn, draw and construction and a 75 on taste. I liked the taste but I just never got the complexity that this cigar seems to be known for.

I will give it some more months in the humidor and see how it does. I have 9 more to get through. I am looking forward to lighting up another one after some seasoning and seeing how it changes.

All in all I would recommend it if you are looking for a great tobacco taste in your cigars. This stick has that in spades. The torpedo shape seems to be ideal too in terms of cut and draw. The thing poured smoke after every draw.

I am a quick smoker and this stick lasted me about 85 minutes. While not the fullest flavoured cigar by any means, this thing did give me a few gut punches early on even after a hearty meal of home made stromboli. When I finished and stood up I was hit with a wave of vertigo and felt dizzy for about half an hour afterwards. Maybe I smoked too quickly or this thing was stronger than it felt.

I paired it up with ice water and iced espresso and cream.
  • xIcedGuardianxxIcedGuardianx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 873
    Nice review. I actually had one last night also. I had the toro and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It definitely had some heft as I started to feel it half way. Kinda sneaks up on you. The flavor changed maybe twice on me. I could tell it was an AJ but I agree with Alex that it has a different combo of flavors than you normally see in AJ blends. Rudel- if you get a chance to grab a toro version, I'd love to see how you feel about it. Might be interesting to see the differences.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    Glad to see some good reviews on this just grabbed 10 on the sprint sale. Been wanting to give em a try hope they come early.