Home Ratings & Reviews

Room 101

BombayBombay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,207
Had a Room 101 tonight and I have some questions. The burn-damn near razor straight, Appearance-nice carmel color no problems, draw-great, construction- perfect, ash held on for two inches, flavor and this is where the problem lies, one note (oak with a little spice) but other than that not great at all.
Anyone else find this with these or any other cigars for that matter. I was super pumped to try it out and want to try the namakubi and other stuff from these guys. Should I just chalk it up to the first time. For the record had a camacho about two weeks back and this mirrors the camacho very similarly. I do know the 101 is blended by camacho.
Thoughts?

Comments

• skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    How long did you let it age? The best ones I've had sat for a few months. I bought a box of the 305 and smoked one right off the truck. It was less than stellar. I think these do much better with some time on them. Just my two cents....
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i like room 101 but i feel their best blend is the Connecticut that came out a few months ago. the original blend didnt impress me.
  • BombayBombay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,207
    Thanks guys. This was gifted to me by rob, so i dont know how long it was in humi for. I have another one that I got from JJ in my very first trade but it is one of the larger vitolas and it has probably three months plus on it. Will try the conn. that Kuzi recommends as well.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    Bombay:
    Thanks guys. This was gifted to me by rob, so i dont know how long it was in humi for. I have another one that I got from JJ in my very first trade but it is one of the larger vitolas and it has probably three months plus on it. Will try the conn. that Kuzi recommends as well.
    Hmmm... I think that had a few months on it before I sent it... what vitola was it?
    It was the "305" 5 x 50 robusto. Like I said it was pretty much perfect in every way except for flavor. I think it may also been my expectations that I had for this blend in the fact that I was looking for it to knock my socks off and it was just meh.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    Yeah, that had about 3 months on it... I picked up a 5er at my local spot and smoked one that day and it was ok... i wasn't fired up, but I wasn't bored either... I haven't had one since... I wanted to give them some time and see what happened...
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    I've got a box of the 305 with a month or two resting time. If you wanna try one in a year, lemme know :0)
    Will do skweez.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    I haven't had the original, I know as a Matt Booth fan boy I'm ashamed, but I have had the Conjura LTD and the Namakubi and they are both great. The Namakubi is amazing esp in the Roxxo size. I smoked both it and the Papi Chulo and I prefer the Roxxo over it myself.
    Funny you say the E. Kid has pm'd me behind the scenes on this thread and said I should try the namakubi in the papi chulo size. Now I will have to try one of each, poor me ;), to compare them. What does the Conjura LTD look like i have just seen the original,namkubi, and connecticut?
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    Bombay:
    Funny you say the E. Kid has pm'd me behind the scenes on this thread and said I should try the namakubi in the papi chulo size. Now I will have to try one of each, poor me ;), to compare them. What does the Conjura LTD look like i have just seen the original,namkubi, and connecticut?
    Yeah E prior to your post I pm'd Jim (Bombay) as weve done some trading, and I told him that I felt the Namakubi papi chulo would be a great stick for him to try.. Now that you mentioned liking the Roxxo I guess I'll have to try that one now too. I still havent had the connecticut yet either so I got a few to try.. I also told Jim that I like the room 101's flavor although its muted and could be considered one dimensional.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Just had my first 101. It was box pressed. Burn and construction were great, as well as the flavor..very "light" compared to most cigars. My only issue was the draw, it was VERY loose. Not sure if that's normal, I cut too much or what. Otherwise a great smoke.
  • musicman3musicman3 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 622
    Had my first 101 Habano the other day and enjoyed it. Great burn with no issues and thought the flavor was mild but very good. Looking forward to getting some more
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    I love Room 101.. Lots of great flavor and spice to keep things interesting.
    Wow this thread is a blast from the past. I will say that since this thread nearly a year ago, I have tried the other 101stuff and love all of it. My recommendations are such: Namakubi (papi chulo) great, OSOK (filero and trucha) great, San Andreas (305) was a solid smoke have to revisit before I make a full determination and I am awaiting the arrival of the Daruma (Roxxo) purchased today in fact and have some pretty high hopes for it.
  • NectarCigarNectarCigar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 171
    Really liked the San Andreas Robusto, haven't tried that many others yet.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Camacho and room 101 are now both distributed by davidoff I do believe. I like both room 101 and camacho for the most part though. Sorry you had not such a good experience!!
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    Bombay:
    Wow this thread is a blast from the past. I will say that since this thread nearly a year ago, I have tried the other 101stuff and love all of it. My recommendations are such: Namakubi (papi chulo) great, OSOK (filero and trucha) great, San Andreas (305) was a solid smoke have to revisit before I make a full determination and I am awaiting the arrival of the Daruma (Roxxo) purchased today in fact and have some pretty high hopes for it.
    La Daruma is Awesome!! You will enjoy it!