Home Cigar 101

Ceder Sleeves, Tubes, and Coffin Warning.....

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
Okay so this might be for certain wrappers or hell maybe it doesn't matter... lol. I wanted to let you all know what my personal experience has been, especially tonight. After reading some posts about ceder sleeves and coffins on another site, I decided I would take the time and go through all my coffins (not many) and all of the cigars I have with sleeves (mainly anejo's and opus x's).

I have had problems with the camacho liberty 08's which I think I have mentioned before, so I took all of those out of their coffins. Now I have several 09's and 10's that were still sealed, and after looking at them they too had a bit of mold growing on them. I did the same thing with them as I did with the 08's, wipe them off and cello them.

Next I moved to all of my opus cigars and anejo's. Now I started this whole thing over many posts on mold growing under the sleeves on anejo's, so I went through all of my anejo's (large task as I have 3 boxes of 77's and 1 of the 50's) boxes and singles a like. Out of all of them I found little specks on a few, not many. So I took all the sleeves off of them just for safe measure.

Next I looked to my god of fire boxes, and they are all tubes. I had issues with a don carlos set a while back and that was fixed by taking them out of their tubes and into cello. Now I have checked my other boxes a few times over the last year (I bought the other two last december) and had no issues. Well tonight I checked them over and almost all of them had some mold growing. Luckily I caught them in time and took proper precautions.

Now I want to make sure I mention that the above sticks are the only one's I've had problems with and have found that many other people have too. My climate for the little cigars are a 62-65 rh and temps don't dip below 55/60. Most the temps have got in the summer were around 74 or so.

So if any of you have opus's or anejo's or liberty's or even god of fire tubes CHECK THEM! Especially if you have them sealed. I read a post about how someone had a box of opus x sharks and after opening a sealed box (had them for a couple of years or something along those lines) mold had grew from under the red ribbon. And that would be horrible. I guess he had to toss a few too. So the moral is, always check your cigars.

Comments

• MonteWhiteMonteWhite Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 200
    Wow, thanks for sharing your experiences with us. I'm a bit paranoid now. I'm going to have to check my sleeved and coffined cigars right now!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    WTF... Now I have something else to worry about. Thanks Pheebs. Please, nobody better say Beetles. ooops !
  • scarlinscarlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,592
    Another reason to be paranoid...
  • howtobasshowtobass Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 589
    It's reasons like this that I am glad I joined this forum. Information! Thanks!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    no, no mention of beetles here.
  • JSaintJSaint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,848
    well in the right temperature lol jkjk
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    You just saved one of my Anejos.... Thank you very much..... I had no idea.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Naked ladies, gentlemen. Tubes? No way. Cello and sleeve? Not me.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,121
    Oh man!! I can picture everyone running to check thier stash!!...I'm running too!!
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    Pulled a La Aurora Preferido out of the tube at the B&M and it had mold. They all did. Weird how this happens. What about aging with the tube screw end off? Does this help?
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    I just checked my tubed preferidos and they are doing fine, maybe because I open them up now and then and smell them thus exchanging the air inside?
    dennisking:
    Pulled a La Aurora Preferido out of the tube at the B&M and it had mold. They all did. Weird how this happens. What about aging with the tube screw end off? Does this help?
    I've heard that helps. However I am going to just stay clear of tubes from now on. I do have a few don carlos god of fires in my dome humi and I check them all the time and they are fine. The other god of fires I have are in my cabinet and I never really check all of them. I have 4 gurkha black dragon tubes and they have never had a problem, the same as with my box of gurkha beautys (they are all tubed).
    KCW:
    You just saved one of my Anejos.... Thank you very much..... I had no idea.
    sweet! that was my hope!
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    +1 to all of Pheebs advice. Anyone remember the Uber Premium pass awhile back? I got a GOF Tubo, and when I pulled it out, the entire thing was covered in mold - Sniper, the guy responsible, sent me an unbelievable bomb when he found out that pput me in debt to him for his generosity, but told me when he went to check his box, all his GOF tubo's had mold inside them.

I dunno what it is about AF, but his cigars have a tendency to grow mold if they're in anything but cello
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    xmacro:
    +1 to all of Pheebs advice. Anyone remember the Uber Premium pass awhile back? I got a GOF Tubo, and when I pulled it out, the entire thing was covered in mold - Sniper, the guy responsible, sent me an unbelievable bomb when he found out that pput me in debt to him for his generosity, but told me when he went to check his box, all his GOF tubo's had mold inside them.

I dunno what it is about AF, but his cigars have a tendency to grow mold if they're in anything but cello
    X-mac speaks true - ABSOLUTELY MADDENING! Will never buy another tubed cigar due to this experience. Never considered the effect coffins may have though... GOTTA RUN FELLAS!!!

Will report back and let everyone know what I found!

• The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    Alright, my only coffin (a Camacho Liberty 2010) and what I found...

So there it is, safe and sound - WHEW!!! Would have been righteously pissed and saddened if this had been jacked up, great gift from a great friend.

• docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    A lot of people tend to store their cigars at a much higher relative humidity than they should. The old "standard" of 70/70 is much too high...
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    Got no coffins and only one tube glad its glass.Now I'm worried guess I'll pull all the cedar wraps off my sticks when I get home now.
    docbp87:
    A lot of people tend to store their cigars at a much higher relative humidity than they should. The old "standard" of 70/70 is much too high...
    Definitley guilty of this. I'm going to try to maintain 65rh.
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    After reading this I went to check stuff I had in tubes and coffins. Luckily I had no issues. While I was at it I thought what they heck, I'll just look at everything. Glad I did. I found my box of Trinidad mini-belicoso with half of the sticks having mold. It was even in the foot of each of them. So there's 10 sticks in the trash. I took the entire box out as to not contaminate everything else. Thankful that I checked
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    luclkily i dont have but only a couple coffins, question is it being in the coffin with a cedar sleeve or just being inside with no sleeve too? i have 2 in coffins but no cedar sleeves, also i dont have but a few in cello with cedar sleeves so i took off all my cedar sleeves and no problem except one anejo which is a #46 , it had spots under the sleeve but seem to be whitish and all came off after i rubed it looks ok, ill just smoke this today,lol , only had 2 in tubes one from rcy and they both looked fine, no more tubes and sleeves for me i guess, thanks for the heads up
    jj20030:
    except one anejo which is a #46 , it had spots under the sleeve but seem to be whitish and all came off after i rubed it looks ok
    Exactly what I did.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    skweekz:
    After reading this I went to check stuff I had in tubes and coffins. Luckily I had no issues. While I was at it I thought what they heck, I'll just look at everything. Glad I did. I found my box of Trinidad mini-belicoso with half of the sticks having mold. It was even in the foot of each of them. So there's 10 sticks in the trash. I took the entire box out as to not contaminate everything else. Thankful that I checked
    Dang that sucks.
  • blurrblurr Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 962
    This brings me to a point I raised awhile ago, & nobody agreed with me. In my experiences I have had more mold issues with Fuente cigars than any other brand. Maybe I tend to have more of those stocked, and its only been 2 small outbreaks but they were both fuentes with cedar sleeves. I don't know if its Dominican tobacco or if Fuentes just are at a higher humidity when shipped from the factory, but I have bad luck with AF's. Good thread & good advice, if you have cedar sleeved smokes get those ladies naked! My opinion only.
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    Is there any way to get rid of mold on a cigar, aside from smoking it? I know you can wipe it off the wrapper, but I've got half a box with mold growing in the foot. I might cut one apart and see how deep it goes.. Maybe kuzi or someone has an idea of getting rid of the mold?
    skweekz:
    Is there any way to get rid of mold on a cigar, aside from smoking it? I know you can wipe it off the wrapper, but I've got half a box with mold growing in the foot. I might cut one apart and see how deep it goes.. Maybe kuzi or someone has an idea of getting rid of the mold?
    if it's on the foot you may be able to cut the foot. However it depends on how much is there. Some people say if it's on the foot your better off tossing them, but others say if it's not that bad then cut it back.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    This prompted me, like others, to check my stash... as far as coffins, I only have a Camacho Liberty 08 and a CAO Odyssey and they are both fine... I also have about 10 Anejos over various sizes, so I gave them a look and they were all ok, thankfully... I ended up taking the ceder off and just tossing it... not gonna take a chance, I love those sticks too much
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    I only have 1 cigar, PDR, in a sealed tube that alienmisprint sent me and it looks like it's doing fine. I may take it out though. I haven't purchased any coffins but this is some really good info to have in the event I do.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    I understand how a sealed coffin or tube might trap in some extra moisture... but the cedar sleeves do the same thing?

I thought one reason cedar is used is because of its anti-mold characteristics, and those sleeves are paper thin... is it just that they limit air circulation? I only have a few gars with the sleeves though, and nothing too expensive or rare.
  • james40james40 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,450
    Thanks for the post.

I have my first and only Anejo that was generously gifted by a botl here, so I checked it out last night. Here's what I found.
    imageimage
    So, should I try to rub this off or toss it? I was saving this for a special occassion so I'm glad I found this now.