Home Cigar 101

Question regarding beads

2»

Comments

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I just got a puck of beads last week and was wondering if anyone has put their beads on the underside of the lid? I know some of the humi's have a spot with the hygrometer under the lid but I'm afraid of leakage from the beads, am I being paranoid or what?
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    My humidor came with the classic circular puck humidification device with the green foam. It attaches to the lid of the humidor via a magnet (instead of the classic glue-backed velcro which always inevitably peels). I pulled out the green foam and replaced it with beads. I hang the puck from the lid and it woks perfectly.

When I refill the puck, I use a spoon to slowly dribble distilled water onto the puck, and it quickly absorbs the liquid. You can hear the beads absorb the water. I use just a single spoonful to recharge the beads, then I spin the puck with the mesh side facing up to distribute the water among the beads. Finally, I give the puck several vigorous shakes to remove excess water, and wipe any water off the outside of the disc. I've never had any trouble with bead leakage.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    Dang, I just threw my pucks out a couple months ago!!!!!

Ok,
    So Im in the NE and my humi has been at 75% the last few days because it was super humid up here for 2-3 weeks. (I was keeping a good 70% there for a few months without much maintenance)

1st question: What will this do to my sticks? Will it bloat them and split them?

2nd question: being in the NE(insert edit - NE is New England not Nebraska) where it is humid most of the time should I go w 65% or 70% beads?

3rd question: to smoke these stick as I hope to do so a couple occasions this weekend, should I just leave them out for a day or so before smoking?

Thanks
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    Four Down the Toilet -

75% for a bit shouldn't kill them (unless it suddenly spiked that high from below 70). They'll probably be harder to smoke. In my (limited) experience, I've tried to pull a stick out 6-8 hours before smoking it if I was afraid it was too damp. This never works, and seems to make the situation worse. I'd say pull it out just an hour or two before smoking, and you won't have any trouble at all.
    I've had my beads for about 2 weeks now, and my don carlos digi hygro seems to be stuck at 71RH. I have 2 pucks, 1 is all saturated, the other is only like 20% saturated with distilled water the rest of it is dry. I am thinking that the digi is just off by 4 or so but could it be that my 65% beads aren't working? Or do they just have to sit there a while.. I've had them in the humi for little over a week. I do have sticks in there as well.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    just re salt test. my hygro is stuck at 61 for my 65% beads.

my hygrometer is "-4"

I love the message on the box, the most accurate digital hygrometer! lol
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    Ok, So it may not have been the local humidity that sent my humi up from a set 70 up to 75-78 for a little over a week.

What I am thinkking is that it was the new sticks I put in there from ccom. I put 11 new sticks in there that were shipped with a water pillow. Im thinking that was the culprit and not from living in Boston!
    Anyway, I got it back down to 68% over the last two day. I propped open the humi about a half inch with a flash card case and kept checking the RH a few times a day.

Here is my next question. Are digital Humi readers prone to be off?

I figured that analog was definately off, but I assumed ( YOu know what assuming does) that the digital device would be spot on.

Should I salt test?

If I salt test should I use table, Sea salt, Kosher Salt or (this ones for you Kuzi) Pretzel salt! HA.... will they all work????
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    You should definitely test your digital hygro. Just because they are most accurate does not mean they can't be off, in which case the salt test would tell you what your correction factor is. Standard salt will work fine, just be sure that you don't have a little bit of salt with your water, but rather just enough water to make your salt damp but not soaked.