Home Cigar 101

trying a new cigar-which vitola

jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
just wondering when a new line of cigar comes out which vitola do you usully pick up to try first? i know lots are different in ways but to get a true taste that might make you really get a feel for it which would you purchase first? reason i ask i was going to head down to my b&m and grab 1 of each of the new aka line

Comments

• The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    whichever one I can get the best price on...lol.. If money is not an option I usually will get two, A torpedo or belicoso, and either a toro, corona, dbl corona or lancero, In that order. I like to get a stick with a little more filler and and a stick with a little less than the standard 50 rg.If its only one then usually the robusto
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    The Kid:
    whichever one I can get the best price on...lol.. If money is not an option I usually will get two, A torpedo or belicoso, and either a toro, corona, dbl corona or lancero, In that order. I like to get a stick with a little more filler and and a stick with a little less than the standard 50 rg.If its only one then usually the robusto
    your money is certainly no object, i can wait to make the purchases till you send me some,lol
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    Yeah your last gift is in certain danger at this point. Will probably not make it through Nov.
    Thank you for all the others that came along with it!!
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    I usually get torps or belis. Reason is the better rollers are used for these vitola rather than the round cap cigars. Less likely you get a dud and a pointed end you can easily cut to draw preference.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    I would say most often I go for the Robusto, Toro, Double Corona, Corona, Lancero, pretty much in that order, whichever size is available. Unless I hear that a certain size is really the gem of the line.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    I usually go robusto first, the size is a pretty good midpoint between all the sizes that are usually available and generally tells me which way I need to go to try other sizes.

• jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    I am a torpedo or belicoso man myself. If a cigar comes out in a few sizes and it is a limited edition like most Viaje I will buy them all. If it is a regular production I will go for the torpedo or belicoso.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,121
    I usually do a robusto, but have been leaning towards coronas lately.
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 775
    Just whatever I get a deal on. I know many will tell you a corona, because the filler to wrapper ratio better shows off the characteristics in the wrapper.
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    If there were no Perfecto, I used to get the biggest ring I could. Now I find myself going for anything between 46-50 and 6.5" or less. Just my preference nowadays.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    The Kid:
    This is almost exactly what I was going to say, word for word! The Kid, psychic at large.
  • james40james40 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,450
    I like to start out at 5 x 50(54) and move downward to a corona. I tend to have problems with ring gauges larger than 54 and get a better taste profile from coronas.
  • gaberoxgaberox Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 824
    Well my favorite size of all is 7x48 so I always look for the closet to that. Next choice is a toro or robusto hopefully no bigger than a 52-54 but preferably a 48-50.
  • StrongStyleStrongStyle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 221
    gaberox:
    Well my favorite size of all is 7x48 so I always look for the closet to that. Next choice is a toro or robusto hopefully no bigger than a 52-54 but preferably a 48-50.
    this right here.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    My favorite vitolas typically are Corona Gorda, Panatelas, and Petit Coronas, so if a blend comes in any of those, I will definitely go for that. That said, I'll smoke most anything under about a 52 ring. Larger than that, I have to have a reason to try it.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 600
    Well I guess I am the odd man out then. I basically smoke Toros and Torps. The only exception was the Corona Gorda for the PDR BOTL 2010 Small Batch (bought 2 boxes). Occasionally I am gifted robustos but I NEVER buy them or any other size. Sometimes I will buy something close to Toro size if that is the closest thing to it but basically I am looking for 6x50. So if the Lancero of a particular smoke is the best and the Toro is not as good, I don't smoke it. Lucky for me the Liga #9 Toro is the best vitola of the batch. :-)
  • gaberoxgaberox Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 824
    dowjr1:
    Well I guess I am the odd man out then. I basically smoke Toros and Torps. The only exception was the Corona Gorda for the PDR BOTL 2010 Small Batch (bought 2 boxes). Occasionally I am gifted robustos but I NEVER buy them or any other size. Sometimes I will buy something close to Toro size if that is the closest thing to it but basically I am looking for 6x50. So if the Lancero of a particular smoke is the best and the Toro is not as good, I don't smoke it. Lucky for me the Liga #9 Toro is the best vitola of the batch. :-)
    I must disagree have you had the LP9 x2 corona?