Home Non Cigar Related

Are you serious! I was summoned for Jury Duty on the week of my first born!

djbeeniedjbeenie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
Geez the most important day of my life this has to happen! Flipping ticked!

Comments

• zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
    i wouldnt go...
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,121
    Tell them that in the court room! I bet that disqualifies you some how!
  • wwesternwwestern Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,386
    Fashion yourself a hitler moustache...you'll be out in 15 mins tops.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Believe it or not, most lawyers during jury selection are pretty blatant with what they wanna hear - you'll know what they're looking for if you just pay attention. Just voice an opinion like "I always vote for the death penalty" - and stick to it. Tell them you can't be fair or impartial, that you can't put it out of your mind if the defendant doesn't take the stand, etc. It's easy to get kicked off a jury if you tell the lawyers you make it clear you don't wanna be there or aren't the kind of juror they're looking for.

Of course, before that, you might try going to the Clerk's office (or call), explaining you just had a kid, and they may let you out of jury duty altogether. Or, just not go - IIRC, most jury summons aren't tracked, so they can't prove you ever received it, so you could just ignore it and if anyone asks, just tell them you never got it
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    yup, just tell them anything that they dont want to hear youll be out , lol
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,064
    just yell, *** YOU STILL OWE ME MONEY FROM HIGHSCHOOL!!!!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    We all need to do our civic duty and support the justice system. I have been called every year for the past ten years. Call the court number that came with your summons. If you do call the clerks office, they will reschedule you. If not George Carlin had a fool-proof method. Let the judge know that you would make a great juror, as you can spot guilty people just by looking at them.
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    xmacro:
    most jury summons aren't tracked, so they can't prove you ever received it, so you could just ignore it and if anyone asks, just tell them you never got it

I dunno how other states are but in PA you have to sign it and send it back within 7 or 10 days. But I agree, call the clerk and just explain the situation and ask to be rescheduled. Good luck fella
  • james40james40 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,450
    In calif. you can reschedule online. Call them now and explain, they will either dismiss or reschedule you. Congrats on your upcoming new edition.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Act like me, you will be dismissed....
  • CvilleECvilleE Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,177
    jr_p951:
    Tell them that in the court room! I bet that disqualifies you some how!
    Calling and rescheduling with the clerk will be the way to go...you tell them this in the court or over the phone, I agree with jr this will surely disqualify you....
  • CvilleECvilleE Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,177
    kaspera79:
    We all need to do our civic duty and support the justice system. I have been called every year for the past ten years. Call the court number that came with your summons. If you do call the clerks office, they will reschedule you. If not George Carlin had a fool-proof method. Let the judge know that you would make a great juror, as you can spot guilty people just by looking at them.
    I'm knocking on wood when I ask this so I don't jenks myself, but never being summoned on such, how come you have been each year for the past 10 years? Just curious.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    kaspera79:
    Do this! and congrats on your first child! Praying for you guys to have a happy healthy baby
  • djbeeniedjbeenie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
    Thanks guys for the advice!
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    In MD if you don't appear they issue a bench warrant.
    I got one a week after I turned 18
    I was leaving for School in Texas the next day so I just trashed it. When the court called me I just told them I lived in Texas.

For the second one I received I got picked and sat in the jury room for 6 hours. The guy entered a plea bargain at the last minute and the clerk dismissed us.
    The third time was the charm broke the written rules and wore jeans and my punisher t-shirt was promptly dismissed.

• RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    I've been called quite a few times but it's always been when I was on the boat so due to the nature of my job I never had to go. I'd actually would if it worked out. My wife sat on a jury for a murder, freaked her out bad.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Every year in about March it seems I get the summons..Usually for what they call a "one day trial" It says to call the night before and a recorded message says something like this... Anyone with the last name letters A-L must report all others are dismissed, or... all jurors are excused, or all jurors are to report.
    Most often I was excused the night before, but if there is a heavy court load you go down and spend the day waiting for a case. Some times you get called for a week. Than you have to show up everyday for a week waiting for a trial. That one is a B.
    I have been on many cases, and must appear to be of sound mind, so I get a VIP pass in the jury pool. Also, I am a State Employee... This means I get paid no matter how long I need to be out and I will suffer no financial hardship as a result of extended jury service.