Home Ratings & Reviews

Clash of the Amateur Reviews - Irish v. Robby - Sponsored by MTuccelli

124»

Comments

• robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    the reviews will be up soon... probably Saturday or Sunday... I'll give you a small hint though... It's didn't explode when I lit it up... :)
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    ...well that's a good sign.
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    Alec Bradley Black Market Robusto 52 Ring Gauge X 5 ¼”

Tobacco:
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan
    Binder: Sumatran
    Filler: Panama and Honduras

Appearance:
    People familiar with my reviews, and my taste know that simple, understated and rustic presentation is what truly catches my eye, and as such Alan Rubin really created quite the gem with the Black Market. The wrapper, like the half body band, is toothy and rustic. Two main veins run down the length of the cigar for about two inches. The leathery leaf exudes tons of oils and feels heavy in the hand with just enough give on the pinch that I eagerly await this review. The dark brown wrapper in tinged with a shade of rust and a very slight marbling. The foot band which runs up half the length of the robust looks to be made of a construction paper weight material with the AB crown and Black Market printed across it to look as though it were stamped on a wooden cargo crate.

Nose:
    A pungent sour smell is the first thing that I notice off of the wrapper that quickly melds into a sweet hay and light wood, maybe white oak. I get a hint of another subtler scent, reminds me of the salt in the air near the ocean. When I put my nose to the foot I pick up a heavy caramel and more of the dried sweet hay.

Lick:
    I immediately pick up a salty tang with spicy tobacco notes with oak on the back of my tongue as well. Other than that however, not a large amount is revealed on the lick.

1st Light and 1st Quarter:  Light time 2:30pm
    I use my Xikar 009 punch to open up the cap and find a draw that offers some resistance, slightly more than I normally like but I feel confident that with a little heat and an inch of burn that it will loosen up and be spot on. I toast the foot with a double jet torch lighter for 15 seconds, after which the stick lights cleanly and quickly immediately producing volumes of thick and rich smoke. The taste that first hits my tongue proves to be spicy and slightly peppery but exudes gobs of a refined and highly complex maduro chewiness. Within just a couple draws, it refines quickly into a musky red oak that finishes quite sweet with a burnt caramel and highly luxurious vanilla and nutmeg. Already outstanding and surpassing the flavors that I expected to taste. An anise that is spicy and sweet instead of bitter with a bite is what first hits your tongue and then rolls back to the rear of your mouth and finishes with an aromatic and robust red oak to finish cleanly with spice, white pepper, and a vanilla and nutmeg balance. On the retrohale the red oak becomes the dominate flavor with cream and cedar blending seamlessly together to richen the pungent oak and having a spicy but subtle bite to give it the body that it needs to balance such strong flavors. All in all impressed would be the first word that comes to mind so far. When I let the smoke linger on my tongue and roll around my palate a unique dimension presents itself and leaves me challenged to properly put words to it. The best I can do is say that I can quite clearly taste the Nicaraguan wrapper but due to the Honduran and what I think is also due to the Sumatran leaf as well, a bit of a salty sweet earthyness that is mineral rich in iron and wet dark earth. I say iron because it has a distinctive tanginess to it, but is quite cleanly rounded out and balanced by the rich and damp earth that I taste as well. The spice has become more subdued now and comes into the mix towards the middle and end of your tongue and now pairs with the oak and cream better than before, while the vanilla and nutmeg is the first thing that hits your palate now instead. As I said earlier, it is quite apparent that the wrapper is Nicaraguan since that is what I have been smoking the most lately and happens to be my favorite as well. The citrus tang that is so enjoyable and present in any Nicaraguan leaf is still present in the Black Market but is nowhere near as prominent and isn’t as rich, instead it is an afterthought instead of the main feature. A flavor that I had not been able to pin down until just now, but has been present since the beginning and adds an undertone that richens but more importantly balances all the flavors by tying them together, is the drier but sweet hay. All of the flavors are constantly present, but it seems that with each draw the order changes. If I were to detail each draw this would be a 10 page review due to how fluid and complex this stick is, so instead I have been hitting the main highlights. The burn is razor sharp with just a slight run due solely to the initial light causing a slight run in the stick. The ash is a slightly darker gray that is somewhat salt-and-pepper, but very tight and holding strong at just over an inch thus far. Much like the stick, the smoke weighs heavy in your mouth, and makes you feel like you could cut it with a knife. Quite chewy and rich, it reminds me of the texture and viscosity of an extra thick milk… something like fresh milk straight from the source before it is pasteurized. It is burning rather slowly which I enjoy, the smoke is cool and the flavors are incredibly rich.

2nd Quarter:
    With this being a robust it will be slightly difficult to break this down by quarters due to how short it is, but is certainly needed given this complexity. The next great turn signals the second quarter to me, and the anise now compliments the red oak and maduro sweetness but turning slightly acrid to give it an added kick with a bit of acidity which I would normally say is a bad thing, but actually helps to round out and compliment the added sweetness that the maduro added in. The flavors are certainly full bodied and in your face but fade quickly to end cleanly on your palate and not hit you in the gut. I would rate the strength of body at a medium plus, but it is slowly building. The boldness does fade as it moves over your tongue like I said, finishing with cedar, sweet grass, a richer vanilla than previous, and some cinnamon spice, with the heavy cream coming out on the retro instead now. The burn has self corrected and is just about as straight as can be with the ash still holding strong knocking on the door of two inches…. Speaks volumes about the construction for sure.  I pick up a mineral rich damp earth now along with the cedar and oak, and oddly enough rolls into a clover honey and vanilla. Truly enjoying the HELL out of this cigar, and it is exactly what I was looking for today! The draw is still slightly too restrictive but it is slowly loosening up and producing incredible amounts of stark white smoke. A smoky element is added to the cedar and oak that reminds me of using cedar planks when grilling; it is really quite tasty and very rich. I’ve yet to ash this once, and it is fast approaching the halfway mark of the robusto frame. Once again the anise builds slightly larger but builds in unison with the oak and maduro sweetness and in tandem so does the body.

3rd Quarter:

The ash finally falls directly at the halfway point and signals the third quarter. The first and only complaint I have yet is that the stick has become slightly bitter and the acidity also gets a little too much sending it slightly out of balance. The flavors are still wonderful, but I do want the balance back that the Black Market had a half an inch ago. I let it sit and smolder for a minute or two hoping that it will get rid of the overly bitter acrid facet that it has taken on and draw through it a little slower. It helps and the bitterness becomes less in your face and gets closer back to balanced. Some pepper is added in along the front of my tongue and compliments the smoky oak and anise, while the maduro sweetness takes a back seat only to come into play on the finish with the honey and creamy vanilla playing in the retro and the middle between the pepper and maduro end. The heat from the smoke has grown and I believe is part of the reason why the bitterness is more prominent in this case. I set it down and let it smolder for about five minutes and then pick it up and draw through it again; it has gotten sweeter and mellower with the smoke being cooler. From here on out I will have to baby this to get it to play nice with me. The sweetgrass and cedar become more towards the forefront and the smokiness becomes far more refined and balances the sweet leaving it far more rounded than ten minutes ago… I like it a lot better to say the least. 

Final Quarter:
    The final quarter comes without much change from the last 15 minutes. It is slightly warmer smoke, but the acidity has lessened while the honey and vanilla are present now only on the retrohale, with the anise and chocolate being the biggest flavors on your palate now. Oak and cedar blend together on the finish where the chocolate melting into the woody notes instead. The “maduro” sweetness is now gone and has been wholly replaced with a milk chocolate and peanut flavor that pairs perfectly with the smoked wood notes. The balance has returned at the finish and rounds out the new flavor profile. It ends much like it began, and with the cigar being hot enough that it starts to burn my fingers, I finish my last draw and put it down. End time 3:45pm

Total Smoke Time: 1 hr 15 min

Closing Thoughts:
    I was truly impressed with the AB Black Market, it was far more complex and bolder in flavor than I thought this cigar was capable of. The only drawback was the acidity and bitterness that I dealt with for around 20 minutes and is the only reason that this won’t receive top marks. I think dry-boxing this next time that it will rid the bitterness or at the very least make it far less in your face.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Tobacco Leaves
    Pics will be uploaded soon, just the review for now :)
    Rob is held up for a short while but will be posting his soon :)
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    Wow, I've been wanting to try this one. Sounds like a lot is going on in there!! Will definitely look to grab one. Thanks for the detailed review!
    Black Market -Alec Bradley
    Country of Origin: Honduras
    Wrapper Type: Nicaraguan Maduro
    Binder / Filler: Sumatra / Honduras, Panama
    Blender: Alan Rubin
    Vitola: 5 1/4 x 52
    Time in Humi: ~ 6 weeks
    Accompanying Beverage: Water

Ever heard of Alec Bradley?

Anyway, Alec Bradley is as big as it gets right now. They offer a great menu of cigars that just so happens to include the #1 cigar in the world according to Cigar Aficionado Magazine. Not only that, but they do an awesome job of engaging their customers on Twitter and Facebook. Not only THAT, but they are also the makers of one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE cigars in the Tempus. Combine all that with the hype surrounding the Black Market and you can safely assume that I am expecting something brilliant.

Photobucket

Prelight: Oh, the Nicaraguan Maduro wrapper smells nice! Coffee and some nutty notes are evident to the nose. The long band slid off easily (imagine if it didn't, uh-oh...) and revealed a clean wrapper. I used my V-Cutter and found a pristine draw. The coffee notes remained on the prelight draw, but the nutty notes were missing.

Beginning: I went with long matches this time. Why? Well, that's a good question. I like to go with matches when I can and there was zero wind so I went for it. 3 matches later we were up and running. Lots of thick smoke were produced right from the start. Big coffee notes really shined early on. There was an almost citrusy kind of sweetness as well. The wrapper provides dry sweetness early on that was very pleasant.

Photobucket

Middle: There is no question that this is a full bodied smoke. The roasted coffee notes are building. The smoke also gets a little thicker. The middle 2-3 inches of this guy mean business. Big coffee notes in the forefront with some lesser nut and earth notes in the background. It's completely enveloping. I'm in my own world for about an hour. No bills, no dogs, no gutters to clean. Just the image of me in a cigar lounge, nice black coffee next to me, living off the royalties of my best-selling novel. Yes, I like to believe this cigar tells the future!

Photobucket

End: The coffee subsided a little making way for a creamy sweetness combined with a tangy bitterness. These opposing flavors really battled it out in the last inch or so. That was a good thing. It never got too sweet and, more importantly, it never got too bitter. The smoke did get a little hot toward the end so I really had to baby it. But, just like a good woman, sometimes you have to baby them!

Construction: NAILED IT! Great look, thick smoke, perfect draw, smooth cap. If I complained about something, I'd be lying

Final Thoughts: I wish I took more pictures! I smoked and wrote this review about a week ago and when I went to my phone to upload pics I found only 3. I think that is as good of an indication as any as to how engrossing this cigar is. I was off in my own little wonderland and completely forgot to snap more shots. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed this cigar experience. It brought big bold flavors and let me room to navigate through them. I wasn't bashed over the head. I smoked this with water, but an after dinner coffee could set this off nicely. Make it a dark roast!

Scores:
    Smoke Time: Exactly 100 minutes... like I said, I babied it at the end.
    Price point: N/A - This was courtesy of Mike, but they are $6 or so and can probably be found at a sale price.
    Appearance: 9.5 - The long band is sweet, but when you remove it you find a pretty cool small band as well. The dark wrapper is really appealing. If this were a torp, I'd probably give it a 10
    Construction: 10 - NAILED IT.
    Draw: 9.5 - Basically flawless. I love when a cigar produces lots of thick smoke.
    Flavor: 9.25 - Big and bold but there is a lot of nuance as well. Very well done in my opinion.
    Overall: 9.25 - Holy crap! This one really commanded a high score. It not for the beginner though.

Thanks again to Mr. Tuccelli. It seems like he does something every day to prove how awesome he is... Now what did this crazy Irishman have to say!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    My Simple review.. I like this cigar a lot and soon I will be buying a box of them. If I can I will get two boxes.. One to smoke now and one to age. The best new cigar I have smoked in a long time.
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    Great job, guys. I have one resting, so I think I'll give it a shot in a couple weeks.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    I've been wanting to try this one. I love AB cigars.
    Krieg:
    I've been wanting to try this one. I love AB cigars.
    As far as AB's go, it's right up there with the Tempus for me... and I LOVE the tempus... I've managed to collect about a box and a half of them without buying a box... the trick is to bury them in your cooler... i never want to dig stuff out cuz I usually can't get it all to fit back in...
  • MVW67MVW67 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,447
    Great review, again and again, over and over, but it does end up costing me:-) :-) :-)
    I'm surprised no one has commented on the different flavor profiles that Irish and I experienced... I said coffee at last 4 times in my post and Irish didn't say it once... seems like our experience was similar from a body and strength standpoint, but the flavors were different... it's pretty cool to have instant feedback from someone else on the exact same topic...
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    I got a couple resting .. Will know more about it this weekend.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    robbyras:
    I'm surprised no one has commented on the different flavor profiles that Irish and I experienced... I said coffee at last 4 times in my post and Irish didn't say it once... seems like our experience was similar from a body and strength standpoint, but the flavors were different... it's pretty cool to have instant feedback from someone else on the exact same topic...
    I think Brett said so many different flavors that I just assumed coffee was in there!
    Ken Light:
    robbyras:
    I think Brett said so many different flavors that I just assumed coffee was in there!
    I agree with Ken on this one... I have REALLY been trying hard lately to refine my palate as deeply as possible and pick up even the slightest hints of any notes possible, hence why my reviews have gotten far longer than previously, and why I didn't say coffee. It is true that I picked up coffee throughout the experience but it was IMHO because of the flavors blending subtly together that brought out the coffee but the notes I got were still different enough that I named it as such. I would say that honestly you and I got darned near the same experience and simply because EVERY person's definition of certain flavors are different we will always get somewhat different experiences, but overall we got the SAME thing! GREAT review Rob and we really did pick up the same general profile if you read back through :)
    Pics added to my review on the previous page.... think y'all might enjoy them and I'd love feedback on what you think of the pics AND reviews... thanks!
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    90+ Irishman:
    Pics added to my review on the previous page.... think y'all might enjoy them and I'd love feedback on what you think of the pics AND reviews... thanks!
    Nice pics, especially like the nub one at the end. For the record, with the coffee, what I meant was Robby's review kinda planted the memory of having read coffee in yours. Like if you read a list of 30 animals and if someone asked if you read the word "horse" you'll think you did even if you didn't. (If someone asks if you read "chair" though, you'll know you didn't).

Personally, I'm lucky if I can pick out coffee when I smoke...the stuff you pick up amazes me.
    90+ Irishman:
    oh man... you get to smoke INSIDE?
    robbyras:
    90+ Irishman:
    oh man... you get to smoke INSIDE?
    LOL... it's the local lounge that I found a few weeks back in Lafayette.. it's an official Diamond Crown Lounge, hence the ashtray ;)
    Ken Light:
    90+ Irishman:
    Nice pics, especially like the nub one at the end. For the record, with the coffee, what I meant was Robby's review kinda planted the memory of having read coffee in yours. Like if you read a list of 30 animals and if someone asked if you read the word "horse" you'll think you did even if you didn't. (If someone asks if you read "chair" though, you'll know you didn't).

Personally, I'm lucky if I can pick out coffee when I smoke...the stuff you pick up amazes me.
    Fair point Ken and I believe that you would be right honestly. As for the things that I pick out from the stick, thank you for those kind words I simply do the best I can that is all :)
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,587
    Thanks guys for two very informative and what I think are honest reviews. I am curious though, Brett you used a punch and Robby I see you usually use a v-cutter. is there any particular reason for those choices? One more question for you Rob, if you had a choice would you use a soft flame over a torch and if so why?

No problem, and thank YOU Mike! As for the cut method, I prefer the punch for a few reasons. One of those reasons is that since it keeps the cap far more intact than the Xi cutter, I get less tobacco bits in my mouth. The second is that I prefer to taste the wrapper instead of the filler when I am smoking and the smoke seems a little richer because it is enhanced by the taste of the wrapper instead of the rolled tobacco filler/binder. Ultimately it really just comes down to choice, and that I like using the punch aesthetically and I like the draw better.
    MTuccelli:
    Robby I see you usually use a v-cutter. is there any particular reason for those choices? One more question for you Rob, if you had a choice would you use a soft flame over a torch and if so why?

I've been using the V-Cutter a lot lately for the simple fact that it is a new toy...so at this point I am still getting used to it... one thing I've noticed, and I'm sure the particular cigars I've smoked have impacted this as well, but I get a LOT of smoke with the V-cut... I'm not sure about the math as far as surface area and all that, but i'm starting to prefer it to the punch... and much like the punch, it is an idiot proof cutter...

For me, I prefer to use matches and I think it's just a "feel" thing for me... for me, a cigar is to be enjoyed, it's a luxury... so when I smoke I want to take my time and soak it all in... the idea of matches just seems right... So, while I prefer matches they can be tough for an outdoor smoker... so I tend to go with a torch more often... so yeah, no real reason that I prefer matches other than the "experience" factor....
  • CLEsmokesCLEsmokes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 19
    90+ Irishman:
    Alec Bradley Black Market Robusto 52 Ring Gauge X 5 ¼”

Tobacco:
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan
    Binder: Sumatran
    Filler: Panama and Honduras

Appearance:
    People familiar with my reviews, and my taste know that simple, understated and rustic presentation is what truly catches my eye, and as such Alan Rubin really created quite the gem with the Black Market. The wrapper, like the half body band, is toothy and rustic. Two main veins run down the length of the cigar for about two inches. The leathery leaf exudes tons of oils and feels heavy in the hand with just enough give on the pinch that I eagerly await this review. The dark brown wrapper in tinged with a shade of rust and a very slight marbling. The foot band which runs up half the length of the robust looks to be made of a construction paper weight material with the AB crown and Black Market printed across it to look as though it were stamped on a wooden cargo crate.

Nose:
    A pungent sour smell is the first thing that I notice off of the wrapper that quickly melds into a sweet hay and light wood, maybe white oak. I get a hint of another subtler scent, reminds me of the salt in the air near the ocean. When I put my nose to the foot I pick up a heavy caramel and more of the dried sweet hay.

Lick:
    I immediately pick up a salty tang with spicy tobacco notes with oak on the back of my tongue as well. Other than that however, not a large amount is revealed on the lick.

1st Light and 1st Quarter:  Light time 2:30pm
    I use my Xikar 009 punch to open up the cap and find a draw that offers some resistance, slightly more than I normally like but I feel confident that with a little heat and an inch of burn that it will loosen up and be spot on. I toast the foot with a double jet torch lighter for 15 seconds, after which the stick lights cleanly and quickly immediately producing volumes of thick and rich smoke. The taste that first hits my tongue proves to be spicy and slightly peppery but exudes gobs of a refined and highly complex maduro chewiness. Within just a couple draws, it refines quickly into a musky red oak that finishes quite sweet with a burnt caramel and highly luxurious vanilla and nutmeg. Already outstanding and surpassing the flavors that I expected to taste. An anise that is spicy and sweet instead of bitter with a bite is what first hits your tongue and then rolls back to the rear of your mouth and finishes with an aromatic and robust red oak to finish cleanly with spice, white pepper, and a vanilla and nutmeg balance. On the retrohale the red oak becomes the dominate flavor with cream and cedar blending seamlessly together to richen the pungent oak and having a spicy but subtle bite to give it the body that it needs to balance such strong flavors. All in all impressed would be the first word that comes to mind so far. When I let the smoke linger on my tongue and roll around my palate a unique dimension presents itself and leaves me challenged to properly put words to it. The best I can do is say that I can quite clearly taste the Nicaraguan wrapper but due to the Honduran and what I think is also due to the Sumatran leaf as well, a bit of a salty sweet earthyness that is mineral rich in iron and wet dark earth. I say iron because it has a distinctive tanginess to it, but is quite cleanly rounded out and balanced by the rich and damp earth that I taste as well. The spice has become more subdued now and comes into the mix towards the middle and end of your tongue and now pairs with the oak and cream better than before, while the vanilla and nutmeg is the first thing that hits your palate now instead. As I said earlier, it is quite apparent that the wrapper is Nicaraguan since that is what I have been smoking the most lately and happens to be my favorite as well. The citrus tang that is so enjoyable and present in any Nicaraguan leaf is still present in the Black Market but is nowhere near as prominent and isn’t as rich, instead it is an afterthought instead of the main feature. A flavor that I had not been able to pin down until just now, but has been present since the beginning and adds an undertone that richens but more importantly balances all the flavors by tying them together, is the drier but sweet hay. All of the flavors are constantly present, but it seems that with each draw the order changes. If I were to detail each draw this would be a 10 page review due to how fluid and complex this stick is, so instead I have been hitting the main highlights. The burn is razor sharp with just a slight run due solely to the initial light causing a slight run in the stick. The ash is a slightly darker gray that is somewhat salt-and-pepper, but very tight and holding strong at just over an inch thus far. Much like the stick, the smoke weighs heavy in your mouth, and makes you feel like you could cut it with a knife. Quite chewy and rich, it reminds me of the texture and viscosity of an extra thick milk… something like fresh milk straight from the source before it is pasteurized. It is burning rather slowly which I enjoy, the smoke is cool and the flavors are incredibly rich.

2nd Quarter:
    With this being a robust it will be slightly difficult to break this down by quarters due to how short it is, but is certainly needed given this complexity. The next great turn signals the second quarter to me, and the anise now compliments the red oak and maduro sweetness but turning slightly acrid to give it an added kick with a bit of acidity which I would normally say is a bad thing, but actually helps to round out and compliment the added sweetness that the maduro added in. The flavors are certainly full bodied and in your face but fade quickly to end cleanly on your palate and not hit you in the gut. I would rate the strength of body at a medium plus, but it is slowly building. The boldness does fade as it moves over your tongue like I said, finishing with cedar, sweet grass, a richer vanilla than previous, and some cinnamon spice, with the heavy cream coming out on the retro instead now. The burn has self corrected and is just about as straight as can be with the ash still holding strong knocking on the door of two inches…. Speaks volumes about the construction for sure.  I pick up a mineral rich damp earth now along with the cedar and oak, and oddly enough rolls into a clover honey and vanilla. Truly enjoying the HELL out of this cigar, and it is exactly what I was looking for today! The draw is still slightly too restrictive but it is slowly loosening up and producing incredible amounts of stark white smoke. A smoky element is added to the cedar and oak that reminds me of using cedar planks when grilling; it is really quite tasty and very rich. I’ve yet to ash this once, and it is fast approaching the halfway mark of the robusto frame. Once again the anise builds slightly larger but builds in unison with the oak and maduro sweetness and in tandem so does the body.

3rd Quarter:

The ash finally falls directly at the halfway point and signals the third quarter. The first and only complaint I have yet is that the stick has become slightly bitter and the acidity also gets a little too much sending it slightly out of balance. The flavors are still wonderful, but I do want the balance back that the Black Market had a half an inch ago. I let it sit and smolder for a minute or two hoping that it will get rid of the overly bitter acrid facet that it has taken on and draw through it a little slower. It helps and the bitterness becomes less in your face and gets closer back to balanced. Some pepper is added in along the front of my tongue and compliments the smoky oak and anise, while the maduro sweetness takes a back seat only to come into play on the finish with the honey and creamy vanilla playing in the retro and the middle between the pepper and maduro end. The heat from the smoke has grown and I believe is part of the reason why the bitterness is more prominent in this case. I set it down and let it smolder for about five minutes and then pick it up and draw through it again; it has gotten sweeter and mellower with the smoke being cooler. From here on out I will have to baby this to get it to play nice with me. The sweetgrass and cedar become more towards the forefront and the smokiness becomes far more refined and balances the sweet leaving it far more rounded than ten minutes ago… I like it a lot better to say the least. 

Final Quarter:
    The final quarter comes without much change from the last 15 minutes. It is slightly warmer smoke, but the acidity has lessened while the honey and vanilla are present now only on the retrohale, with the anise and chocolate being the biggest flavors on your palate now. Oak and cedar blend together on the finish where the chocolate melting into the woody notes instead. The “maduro” sweetness is now gone and has been wholly replaced with a milk chocolate and peanut flavor that pairs perfectly with the smoked wood notes. The balance has returned at the finish and rounds out the new flavor profile. It ends much like it began, and with the cigar being hot enough that it starts to burn my fingers, I finish my last draw and put it down. End time 3:45pm

Total Smoke Time: 1 hr 15 min

Closing Thoughts:
    I was truly impressed with the AB Black Market, it was far more complex and bolder in flavor than I thought this cigar was capable of. The only drawback was the acidity and bitterness that I dealt with for around 20 minutes and is the only reason that this won’t receive top marks. I think dry-boxing this next time that it will rid the bitterness or at the very least make it far less in your face.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Tobacco Leaves
    I stumbled across this about halfway through a Black Market. I must say, you nailed this review. Very accurate description, and the thing read like a novel. Now that's my 50 shades of gray right there.