Home Non Cigar Related

May have bought swill for Cognac

SalemSalem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 717
I have not taken the first drink of alcohol in many years. Quit back then when I had children, was not a problem drinker, but quit anyway. Now I'm ready for Cigars & Cognac. lol! Anyway, did just a little research, went to the ABC store today. What I really wanted was a nice VSOP. But the VSOPs they had were not in a familiar brand to me except for the Remy Martin, but it was a champagne cognac and I was not sure it was the same as regular cognac. So I wound up getting Hennessey VS. Thought I couldn't go wrong with Hennessey even if it was a VS. Came back, looked at reviews online and they are not good. Now I'm scared I have something that tastes like swill for my first cognac taste!! darn it!!

Comments

• MephistoMephisto Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 508
    If you like cognac, look into armagnac. It's basically the same thing from a different region in France. The advantage is that it isn't "popular" so you can get much higher quality liquor for much less. I wish I could recommend a specific brand but I just don't remember which ones I've had (problem with enjoying it with friends!).
  • crzydimnd68crzydimnd68 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 136
    I try not to make decisions based on internet reviews.Especially when it comes to alcohol.We all have different tastes.Try it.And if you don't like it.Don't buy it again.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    Remy and Hennessy are both good brands but they're the giants of the cognac world. All cognac is distilled from champagne grapes. There are 4 sub-regions (some would argue 5) of the cognac region of France. Grande Champagne (cognacs mature the slowest and are most highly regarded - most XOs are Grand heavy), Petite Champagne (next in line), Borderies, Fin Bois (and some finally count Bon Bois).

As for designations:
    VS = Very Special - youngest cognacs in the blend must be a minimum of 2 years old
    VSOP = Very Special Old Pale - youngest must be 4 years
    XO = Extra Old - youngest must be 6 years

All makers have something above XO and many have sub categories in between the other 3 levels. When it comes down to it, however, most of the cognacs are much older than the minimum requirement.

Personally, I prefer an XO level congac for sipping and use VS and VSOP for mixing. Not that they're undrinkable but usually a bit young, fruit driven and can be a bit hot for sipping.
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    Rob1110 = Kanye West?
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Marker:
    Rob1110 = Kanye West?
    No, but if that comparison doesn't sum up the problem with Cognac, I don't know what does.
  • SalemSalem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 717
    I surely didn't know the new relationship with hip/hop, rap music and people and cognac before I got interested. I hate rap. I just want a good, smooth sipping brandy or whatever...
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    Salem:
    I have not taken the first drink of alcohol in many years. Quit back then when I had children, was not a problem drinker, but quit anyway. Now I'm ready for Cigars & Cognac. lol! Anyway, did just a little research, went to the ABC store today. What I really wanted was a nice VSOP. But the VSOPs they had were not in a familiar brand to me except for the Remy Martin, but it was a champagne cognac and I was not sure it was the same as regular cognac. So I wound up getting Hennessey VS. Thought I couldn't go wrong with Hennessey even if it was a VS. Came back, looked at reviews online and they are not good. Now I'm scared I have something that tastes like swill for my first cognac taste!! darn it!!
    If it's swill, you can always cook with it. If you like it, you've made a good choice. Either way, you win. I'd give it a shot before lighting up to see what you think. If you don't like it, just have a nice cup of hot tea or coffee, or a favorite soft drink if you don't want to wait. Besides, there's no rule that says that you have to have an alcholic beverage while enjoying a good cigar. Go with what you enjoy.
    No, I'm not Kanye (thanks a lot, guys) and I didn't get into cognac due to the hip-hop association. I actually tried cognac for the first time with a cigar. I went with Remy XO and a Padron 26. Match made in cigar heaven. I've always been the type to dive into everything I enjoy head on. I was a biology major and the scientist in me is always seeking out more knowledge and information, so I'm always researching things that I enjoy.

Unfortunately, this hip-hop association has also separated much of the cognac world and driven prices sky high. I'm still a big fan of Pierre Ferrand and everything they put out. This is also, however, why I enjoy my rum so much. Rum is making a name for itself but still hasn't hit that level of cognac or scotch that a nice bottle has to cost you a minimum of $100.

And the idea of cooking with it is a great one. I've done a cognac cream sauce over a steak fillet that is really nice. Reduce cognac with some orange peel, a bit of garlic and onion powders, salt and pepper, add heavy cream to the reduced mixture and simmer until you like the consistency. Pretty easy, really. Just have to use a bit of cognac as some flavor will be lost through the cooking process. Cheers.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    Rob1110:
    No, I'm not Kanye (thanks a lot, guys) and I didn't get into cognac due to the hip-hop association. I actually tried cognac for the first time with a cigar. I went with Remy XO and a Padron 26. Match made in cigar heaven. I've always been the type to dive into everything I enjoy head on. I was a biology major and the scientist in me is always seeking out more knowledge and information, so I'm always researching things that I enjoy.

Unfortunately, this hip-hop association has also separated much of the cognac world and driven prices sky high. I'm still a big fan of Pierre Ferrand and everything they put out. This is also, however, why I enjoy my rum so much. Rum is making a name for itself but still hasn't hit that level of cognac or scotch that a nice bottle has to cost you a minimum of $100.

And the idea of cooking with it is a great one. I've done a cognac cream sauce over a steak fillet that is really nice. Reduce cognac with some orange peel, a bit of garlic and onion powders, salt and pepper, add heavy cream to the reduced mixture and simmer until you like the consistency. Pretty easy, really. Just have to use a bit of cognac as some flavor will be lost through the cooking process. Cheers.
    My wife wouldn't know what to do if she quit using wine when cooking. I'll suggest this to her, sounds tasty.
    I love cooking with alcohol. Cognac cream sauce over filet, bourbon cherry sauce over pork tenderloin, tequila lime sauce over chicken, scotch, mushroom and cream sauce over steak or pasta, rum caramel with bananas foster, poached pears in red wine. I haven't done much with gin yet. Was thinking of reducing gin, juniper berries and some spices (sage, tarragon, etc) to use over rabbit or even venison.
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    Rob. No disrespect on the Kanye thing. I no way did I mean that as a serious comparison. That doofus would never know what he is drinking. Just that he has to pay a lot for it so it must be good :(
    Haha, no worries, Marker. I was gonna make the South Park "Gay Fish" comment about Kanye but I didn't know how many South Park fans were lurking around here.

If you really want to make yourself sick, do a google search on "world's most expensive cognacs." It's just plain stupid what some people will pay for a bottle of booze (up to 2M - and no, I'm not kidding - the packaging would make the Gurkha guys blush). That being said, I'm completely opposed to drinking cheap swill. If I go out and all that's around is cheap booze, I'll stick with water or iced tea. If I'm not going to enjoy it, I won't drink it just to get drunk.

I could see paying several hundred for a bottle, but my income just doesn't justify more than that. If you look at it this way: there are plenty of guys around here that will drop several hundred just on one box of cigars and that bottle will probably last me just as long, if not longer than that box of cigars.
  • SalemSalem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 717
    Since I wanted my very first taste of cognac to be a pleasant one (hoping anyway) I went back to the ABC store today and bought a bottle of Remy Martin VSOP Cognac Champagne. I feel better about it anyway. Also ordered me a set of brandy glasses. I'm set. I will not try cigars and brandy at the same time however....since I'm new to both. :)