Home Non Cigar Related

Any Real Estate attorneys amongst the botl here?

KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 908
I'm looking for an answer (if possible) to this question:
When calculating (on the front-end) "loss of good will" in an Eminent Domain business relocation situation, how many months does one use to come up with the dollar amount?
1 year?
2 years
The amount of time left on my lease?

(Our deli business is being displaced under Eminent Domain. We are next door to a high school and large medical clinic, and other businesses. We will be losing $xxx dollars/month forever when we move, because those customers will not be able to walk to us, as they have in the past, and they will not, can not drive and take the extra time to come see us.)

Not looking for free legal advice here, but if someone has experience in this, or a general answer, that would be greatly appreciated.
I've been looking on the Net, but have been unable to find an answer thus far.
thanks for any info you can provide.

Comments

• blurrblurr Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 962
    hmmm, wish I was more knowledgeable and could help you out. Thats some bs, eminent domain. I think you should look into possibly paying a lawyer to help you out with that one, as in my opinion you're losing a great money-making location with large amounts of potential customers in walking distance. Hope you reap some benefits to make up for what they are taking from you, best wishes.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Loss of goodwill is a factor, but difficult to calculate. Ask yourself, what you could have sold the business for pre-eminent domain ruling. The value of my small business was calculated on 1 year of gross. Good luck.
  • wwesternwwestern Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,386
    Eminent domain.... what a great example of the govenment run amok.