Home Cigar 101

New to Cigars and Cigar.com

Snake EyesSnake Eyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6
Hello all... I am new to the cigar world and was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a first humidor. I have to stay bottom end as far as price goes, but want something worth my money that will do a quality job and holds 100 cigars...

Comments

• rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    What's your price range?
    I have this one and like it. They have a smaller one that is a little cheaper that holds about 75 too.

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=M-SPHUM03-MH
  • Snake EyesSnake Eyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6
    I would need to stay below 70 bucks...
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    Hey Snake, welcome aboard. Take that budget and throw it out the window. You may be able to get a nice 100-ct for that price, but you've also got to factor in a digital hygrometer (which your humi won't have.. it may have an analog, but those are paper weights) and a humidification system (if you want to use the humidifer that came with the humi, that is acceptable, but learn how to use it correctly with PG solution. Look for a recent post by rusirius that will detai the process for you).

Budget about $30-50 for your humidification and hygrometer. And then, of course, you're going to have to fill it. Budget your next paycheck for that. And stock it before April 1st so you don't get smacked with the extra taxes.
  • bass8844bass8844 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 416
    Hey snake...dutyje makes a good point, not only is there the humidor, you also need the proper accessories.

To fit your budget, you might want to use a large tupperware container or a small ice cooler. I use a large cooler, and it works great. The only thing is that these coolers are not lined with spanish cedar. If you are storing boxes, there is no problem, since most boxes are made of spanish cedar.
    But if all you are doing is storing singles, you should probably add some pieces of spanish cedar.

But keep in mind you will need to buy something to humidify your cigars (beads and/or gel type humidifiers are recommended by most on these boards)
    And the DIGITAL hygrometer are neccessary to maintain your sticks.
    Well..i have anticipated the other costs..i am just talking about the humidor itself..nothing else..i got a buddy hooking me up with the other initial necessities
  • mustluvcigarsmustluvcigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 686
    I suggest the auction sites for shopping a humidor, there are a few just for cigars, i got a 100 ct with 30 good cigars for $80, bigger is better and go ahead and get that cooler ready too.
    Great advice there..thanks...i can make do with a 100 ct humi...lol...my income will control that aspect with no problem. I am glad this community is here...seems like a real cool place to hang
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Hey Snake, and we are all glad to have you as well...Welcome. What are some of your favorite cigars ? As far as humidors go, many can be gotten for a reasonable price( under 100 bucks ) All of mine are by Cuban Crafters. Google the brand and compare prices.
  • leonardleonard Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 359
    Hey snake, check your inbox for a PM.
    Thanks guys for all the help..I am a real greenhorn....I need all advice and input I can get! As far as favorite cigars...well I dont really have one yet. Truth is, I have only had a couple of cigars ever and they were not "high quality" ones, but I am in experimentation mode to discover..any recommendations?
  • mustluvcigarsmustluvcigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 686
    oops, forgot to say welcome, So welcome Snake Eyes, ...cigar brands to try
    5 vegas,CAO, Rocky Patel, OLiva, anything by Don Pepin Garcia
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    welcome snake eyes
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    Of course the c.com samplers are always a good place to statrt to judge what your tastes are going to run to
  • cheymancheyman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 157
    Welcome Snake Eyes.
    Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome! What can you guys tell me about Fuente's? I here alot here local about them...all good things so far...
    Snake Eyes:
    Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome! What can you guys tell me about Fuente's? I here alot here local about them...all good things so far...
    Fuentes are one of my favorite. They regular line is cheap (not as cheap as some though) and extremely tasty. They also make some more premium smokes like the Hemingway, Don Carlos, OpusX, Anejo and God of Fire. The hemindway and Don Carlos are extremely tasty (they are at the top of my list), the OpusX is extremely strong and full bodied, Anejo is similar to the OpusX but the wrapper is aged in a Congac Barrel and is a Maduro wrapper (very tasty) ad the God of Fire is just different. You have to try them to understand what I mean.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    secretly wheelie works for fuente and wants his commission...! lol, the god of fires are really good, at least I think so. The don carlos robusto is what I have had, I haven't had a carilto yet but hear they are a tad sweeter.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    Snake Eyes:
    Companies, like people, get reputations all kinds of ways. Fuente got theirs the old fashioned way -- they earrrrrned it.

Welcome aboard, Snake.