Home Non Cigar Related

blackeyed peas and cabbage.

DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
Grew up with that being the New Year's day meal. Its for health and good luck. Making a ton today . Hope all the mojo works for everyone on the board. Happy New Years folks!!

Comments

• jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    just started mine in the ol crock pot with a smoked ham hock
  • SalemSalem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 717
    Blackeyed peas with sausauge and small amount of collard greens. (my husband hates collards, lol) Cooking now.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    There's a backstory to the blackeyed peas are good luck on New Years day, and it goes back to the Civil War.

After Sherman's march, a lot of southerners were left on the verge of starvation because the pillaging of food stores had been so thorough. However, Union troops didn't bother with the blackeyed pea, because they considered it to be fodder for livestock, and unfit for human consumption. For many people, the blackeyed peas saved them from death by starvation in the winter of 1865 because there just wasn't much else to eat, therefore, it is very good luck that they were avaliable.
  • SalemSalem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 717
    JDH:
    There's a backstory to the blackeyed peas are good luck on New Years day, and it goes back to the Civil War.

After Sherman's march, a lot of southerners were left on the verge of starvation because the pillaging of food stores had been so thorough. However, Union troops didn't bother with the blackeyed pea, because they considered it to be fodder for livestock, and unfit for human consumption. For many people, the blackeyed peas saved them from death by starvation in the winter of 1865 because there just wasn't much else to eat, therefore, it is very good luck that they were avaliable.
    Wow, I had never heard that story before!! Thanks for sharing.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    JDH:

They say you learning something new everyday. Thanks for sharing that dude. Gives me even more of a reason to enjoy them now.
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,267
    That's exactly what we had for dinner tonight. Butterfly pork chops, cabbage blackened peas with ham, bacon, and some greens. Man my wife can cook.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Interesting story JDH. Next year I will have to cook some, and tell that story. Although I think I would like Lakotas version a little better.
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    Black eyed peas and collard greens here. Every year since I could eat solid food. Black eyed peas for good luck, and collard greens for money(green)/prosperity in the coming year. Throw in some of Mom's cornbread to round it out- man I could eat that every single day.
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,267
    kaspera79:
    Interesting story JDH. Next year I will have to cook some, and tell that story. Although I think I would like Lakotas version a little better.
    I forgot to mention the sweet cornbread, and then apple pie for dessert. Think I got it all. I'm still full.
  • djbeeniedjbeenie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
    We do black eyed peas and greens here!
  • jasonusa1jasonusa1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 729
    Pasta. All day.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Black Eyed Peas and Stewed Tomatoes here.
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    djbeenie:
    We do black eyed peas and greens here!
    here, too!
  • RBeckomRBeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,099
    Heavy:
    Black eyed peas and collard greens here. Every year since I could eat solid food. Black eyed peas for good luck, and collard greens for money(green)/prosperity in the coming year. Throw in some of Mom's cornbread to round it out- man I could eat that every single day.

My meal exactly.