Home Non Cigar Related

mosquito

ImgemboImgembo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 657
I just killed the biggest damn mosquito i have ever seen. Im not use to the south and i am certainly not use to seeing mosquito in freaking March. I think the temp got to freezing maybe like two days all winter here so i am going to assume i will be killing alot of them this summer. looks like going to the lake wont be as enjoyable either.

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    I heard it's already getting bad, and they're huge! How far south are you?
  • ImgemboImgembo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 657
    im in freaking arkansas. so not that far south.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    Noooo.... Don't kill the big ones! They don't bite. They eat the small ones that do bite you. You want to keep a few of those guys around!
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    Are you sure it isn't just a May-fly?
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 771
    I can't promise it will work in the south but it did work in the carribean and in NY. I always bring a off fan with me when I go out to smoke at night in the summer just a idea to make it more enjoyable.
  • TIGERFANTIGERFAN Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 21
    clearlysuspect:
    Noooo.... Don't kill the big ones! They don't bite. They eat the small ones that do bite you. You want to keep a few of those guys around!
    That would be a Crane Fly, and they do not bite.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    TIGERFAN:
    clearlysuspect:
    That would be a Crane Fly, and they do not bite.

Yeah, I didn't know what name they went by but I knew they preyed on mosquitoes and looked like a giant one, themselves.

EDIT: I just looked 'em up and learned that they DON'T prey on mosquitoes. The adult crane fly doesn't feed and the larva feed on organic matter such as decaying leaves, etc. My Bad!
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    The ones in Arkansas are quite big but they are rather slow. it's the little quiet ones that sneak up on you that do all the damage. Wait till the chiggers come out!
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    LoL! you southern folks are funny. I used to live on the edge of the Great Dismal Swamp in Virginia, however I now live in the land of 10,000 lakes which are conveniently located in one big-a$$ swamp. When your swarm of mosquitoes all hatch on the same day in the spring and blacken out the sun, we'll talk. :-)
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    So with the circle of life and all animals serve a purpose (killing off other animals, controlling certain populations etc.) What benefit do mosquitos give us?
    Roberto99:
    LoL! you southern folks are funny. I used to live on the edge of the Great Dismal Swamp in Virginia, however I now live in the land of 10,000 lakes which are conveniently located in one big-a$$ swamp. When your swarm of mosquitoes all hatch on the same day in the spring and blacken out the sun, we'll talk. :-)

I worked on the North Slope in '69. Luckily, I worked indoors. I was told that mosquitoes hatch at 52 degrees and, when it warmed up to that level, everyone who worked outdoors wore a beekeeper's headnet to avoid sucking in a lungful of mosquitoes. Luckily, it usually only lasted for a few days and then the wind would pick up and blow 'em all about 30 miles away.

I know they say the first liar never stands a chance but this story is true.
    Lasabar:
    So with the circle of life and all animals serve a purpose (killing off other animals, controlling certain populations etc.) What benefit do mosquitos give us?

They provide food for trout and other li'l fishies??
    jlmarta:
    Roberto99:

I worked on the North Slope in '69. Luckily, I worked indoors. I was told that mosquitoes hatch at 52 degrees and, when it warmed up to that level, everyone who worked outdoors wore a beekeeper's headnet to avoid sucking in a lungful of mosquitoes. Luckily, it usually only lasted for a few days and then the wind would pick up and blow 'em all about 30 miles away.

I know they say the first liar never stands a chance but this story is true.
    I believe you brother! The North Slope is some pretty serious country!
    jlmarta:
    Lasabar:

and birds and frogs and bats...
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Roberto99:
    jlmarta:
    Lasabar:

and birds and frogs and bats...
    "Bats, the natural mosquito repellent"

I've seen about 4-5 bats around the backyard already and luckily I haven't had a single mosquito bite yet this year. Hopefully the bats can keep up the good work.
    Roberto99:
    I hope to never experience this.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    Where can I buy me some bats !!!
    Put up some bat houses. They will come!
  • RBeckomRBeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,099
    clearlysuspect:

Here in Georgia we call the big ones Skeeter Hawks. As for the Mosquito season, it's going to be A bad one. Already been killing them for weeks now.
    RBeckom:
    clearlysuspect:

Here in Georgia we call the big ones Skeeter Hawks. As for the Mosquito season, it's going to be A bad one. Already been killing them for weeks now.
    Not looking forward to that i will probably spending a good part of my summer in Georgia.
  • CvilleECvilleE Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,177
    We're already gettin bit in central KY...went and got a bag of the yard treatment to spread..it helps some, but with the mild winter we've had will surely bring these creatures out big time this year...and yeah the big ones aren't the problem..it's the little bitty gremlins with West Nile you have to worry about...