Home Non Cigar Related

Tobacco seed.

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Thanks RB. Gonna give it an honest try. Do go anywhere. Hehe.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,099
    Newly transplanted seedlings. I transplant when the leaves are about the size of A dime. They're tough little plants. Just pull and plant.

• Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    Looks great. I can't wait to get mine going! I got a little greenhouse tray with a lid and will start them today. Thanks so much for the seeds!
    Gray4lines:
    Looks great. I can't wait to get mine going! I got a little greenhouse tray with a lid and will start them today. Thanks so much for the seeds!

Your welcome and good luck with your endeavor.
    I may have some questions for you in the near future about fermentation and curing. You did say that you have rolled some of the tobacco you've grown, right?
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Seeds came RB. Thanks. There's a kazillion of them, pods and all. Cool. I kinda feel like an outlaw. I mean, I've grown some stuff before..., well better not go there.
    thanks
    Gray4lines:
    I may have some questions for you in the near future about fermentation and curing. You did say that you have rolled some of the tobacco you've grown, right?

I have rolled some but I definitely have A lot to learn.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    Wish I had a piece of property were I could try this out.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    I got to roll one in Las Vegas once. With an experts help of course. But there is a lot to be said for smoking a cigar that YOU have had a hand in its creation.
    Direwolf:
    Wish I had a piece of property were I could try this out.

Flower pots work well also.
    0patience:
    I got to roll one in Las Vegas once. With an experts help of course. But there is a lot to be said for smoking a cigar that YOU have had a hand in its creation.

It does have A way of enhancing the smoking experience.
    0patience:

It does have A way of enhancing the smoking experience.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    RBeckom:
    When starting tobacco seed it is important to remember that the seed need light to germinate. Lightly moisten seed starting medium then sprinkle the seed on top. The seed are tiny so be careful when sowing. Keep the soil moist but not soggy. Be patient. Seed needs time to germinate. Most of the seed I started last week have begun to germinate. This is in ideal conditions inside A light box I built for this purpose. Most of the time it will take A couple of weeks to germinate most varieties. A window sill out of direct sunlight works well. On top of A refrigerator in A bright kitchen also will work with the added bonus of the heat generated by the appliance. When the leaves are about the size of A dime it is time to transplant the young tobacco plants into two or four inch peat pots. Simply pull the plants from the soil being careful not to disturb the adjacent plants. Peat pots because you don't disturb the root system when planting out later. When the plants are about four inches tall, start hardening them off with A few hours of sunlight A day for A week, then they're ready to place in they're final growing location. Good luck. Feel free to PM any questions that arise.

These steps are very familiar to me....... But. ?.... Lol but.... I turned in my growing badge years ago..... Lol
    Redtailhawkoz:
    RBeckom:
    When starting tobacco seed it is important to remember that the seed need light to germinate. Lightly moisten seed starting medium then sprinkle the seed on top. The seed are tiny so be careful when sowing. Keep the soil moist but not soggy. Be patient. Seed needs time to germinate. Most of the seed I started last week have begun to germinate. This is in ideal conditions inside A light box I built for this purpose. Most of the time it will take A couple of weeks to germinate most varieties. A window sill out of direct sunlight works well. On top of A refrigerator in A bright kitchen also will work with the added bonus of the heat generated by the appliance. When the leaves are about the size of A dime it is time to transplant the young tobacco plants into two or four inch peat pots. Simply pull the plants from the soil being careful not to disturb the adjacent plants. Peat pots because you don't disturb the root system when planting out later. When the plants are about four inches tall, start hardening them off with A few hours of sunlight A day for A week, then they're ready to place in they're final growing location. Good luck. Feel free to PM any questions that arise.

These steps are very familiar to me....... But. ?.... Lol but.... I turned in my growing badge years ago..... Lol

It's never to late to get your hands dirty again.
    Plants after transplanting one week later. The growth rate is astounding.

These are the left overs. Anyone close to Rockmart need some plants? I hate to waste any.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    Awesome thread. Loving the progress
  • jailhousejailhouse Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 137
    those look alot better than mine. mine are about the size of a quarter.
    jailhouse:

They'll get there.
  • jailhousejailhouse Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 137
    RBeckom:
    jailhouse:

They'll get there.
    ya if they ever get any sun. its been cloudy and raining here for the last week or so
    jailhouse:
    RBeckom:
    jailhouse:

They'll get there.
    ya if they ever get any sun. its been cloudy and raining here for the last week or so

Mine are still in the shade. I'll place them in the morning sun in another week. Then they'll really take off.
    I think I have a few too many. I think every single seed that hit the dirt sprouted. Now I'm sorry I don't have an acre to plant them! Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
    Gray4lines:
    I think I have a few too many. I think every single seed that hit the dirt sprouted. Now I'm sorry I don't have an acre to plant them! Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

The real mother lode.
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    RBeckom:

These are the left overs. Anyone close to Rockmart need some plants? I hate to waste any.

Woah Woah woah, is that a home built metal casting foundry I see behind those baccy plants? Nice lid lifting mechinism. That looks too nice to be used too often, do you do much casting with it?

I am now totally 100% convinced that you and I are brothers separated at birth.
    Goldy:
    RBeckom:

Woah Woah woah, is that a home built metal casting foundry I see behind those baccy plants? Nice lid lifting mechinism. That looks too nice to be used too often, do you do much casting with it?

I am now totally 100% convinced that you and I are brothers separated at birth.

I actually use it often. In the other side of the shed I have A charcoal fired foundry as well. It to gets plenty of use. I just finished A charcoal fired forge and A heavy anvil stand to work heavy metals such as the drawknife I'm going to hammer out for Taythegibs soon.

Very nice setup. Is that a third furnace in the first pic, the black thing near the door? What is the material behind the hotface? Also, is that just kaowool in the chamber or did you line it with a refractory?

Thats a really neat design with the lit that sits withing the furnace. Is it a water heater tank? I need to make some flasks at some point. Most of my castings are small and I usually use Delft clay or petrobond as I need a really nice finish. My current project is to make a poker chip set with different metals representing different demoninations. I had a few coins minted and have been replicating them since. I'll dig up a pic.
    Back on topic for a brief second. My plants are still quite small with the largest one somewhere between dime and nickel sized leaves. Do I need to transplant these to larger containers to get them to grow or move them outside? In years past I have not had any trouble getting these guys going but this crop seems to be picky.
    Goldy:
    Back on topic for a brief second. My plants are still quite small with the largest one somewhere between dime and nickel sized leaves. Do I need to transplant these to larger containers to get them to grow or move them outside? In years past I have not had any trouble getting these guys going but this crop seems to be picky.

I like to transplant into individual pots when the first leaves reach the size of A dime. Another thing to watch out for is this, these plants require bright light to grow, not direct sunlight but bright nonetheless. Water frequently. Do you have any photos. They may help.
    Goldy:
    Very nice setup. Is that a third furnace in the first pic, the black thing near the door? What is the material behind the hotface? Also, is that just kaowool in the chamber or did you line it with a refractory?

Thats a really neat design with the lit that sits withing the furnace. Is it a water heater tank? I need to make some flasks at some point. Most of my castings are small and I usually use Delft clay or petrobond as I need a really nice finish. My current project is to make a poker chip set with different metals representing different demoninations. I had a few coins minted and have been replicating them since. I'll dig up a pic.

My foundry setup as of today. I used An old air compressor tank for the charcoal foundry. Both foundries are lined with homemade refractory and after multiple uses it has held up well with no major cracks. I used heavy fire brick to line the chamber of the large foundry and have had good results so far.
    Goldy:

My foundry setup as of today. I used An old air compressor tank for the charcoal foundry. Both foundries are lined with homemade refractory and after multiple uses it has held up well with no major cracks. I used heavy fire brick to line the chamber of the large foundry and have had good results so far.
    I have more photos on Picasa. Search rodbeck65's galleries or homemade foundry and it should take you straight to them.