• 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    catfishbluezz:
    danielzreyes:
    j0z3r:
    danielzreyes:
    j0z3r:
    jliu:
    scarlin:
    Smoked the Mag47 (had some mold which is why today) and wasn't thoroughly impressed (I think it is in the dead period already), but the construction was flawless. Never had I had a smoke burn so evenly when never put down or rotated. Had a canoe starting at one point, but it re-evened itself out.
    how do you know when those johnny os are in the 'sick' 'resting' period?
    You'll know...just trust me on that.
    Before or during you smoke it?
    Well...definitely during. A bit harder to tell without smoking, that's why I'm adopting the "better safe than sorry" approach and will just let them sit.
    I guess I'll just wait till I'm an old man till I smoke the ones that were gifted to me. ugh.
    FYI...they were rolled early March Daniel, probably 1st week. Zach jsut had one last weekend that I sent out at the same time as yours and fell in love. You might have time... Jsut drybox for s days, he said that was the key.
    Like Joe said, you'll know and it's only when you are smoking them unfortunately. But honestly 12 months isn't all that long to age a cigar considering that many feel that true age doesn't start until around 5+ years of age; the fact that these go from awesome to I just crapped my pants good in 12 months is really pretty lucky I feel. I'm sure that dryboxing it works well enough, but I can also say that if you just hide it from yourself till next spring it'll change you entire perspective on how smooth and complex a cigar can be... just my two cents is all.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Had the light wrapper Cazadores today with 24 hours dry box. Teh dry box made a difference, but draw was still a bit tight. This cigar was like smoking a jar of creamy peanut butter, with a bell pepper tossed in kick it up slightly. This was by far the strongest mild cigar i have ever smoked and KO'ed me without nic sick. I was stoned an inch in...and stoned the whole time. It reminded me of the candela's I used to roll in college lol. Another great smoke, glad I ordered ten, and more will be ordered soon.
  • jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    catfishbluezz:
    Had the light wrapper Cazadores today with 24 hours dry box. Teh dry box made a difference, but draw was still a bit tight. This cigar was like smoking a jar of creamy peanut butter, with a bell pepper tossed in kick it up slightly. This was by far the strongest mild cigar i have ever smoked and KO'ed me without nic sick. I was stoned an inch in...and stoned the whole time. It reminded me of the candela's I used to roll in college lol. Another great smoke, glad I ordered ten, and more will be ordered soon.
    hahah. i bet you rolled some big ol gordo candelas back then. come to think of it, some were having lanceros from way back in the dayzzz. haha. PM to you dude.
  • chemforeverchemforever Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,200
    Thanks for the stick catfish, this was a mag47 I believe. After two day dry box draw is great and its flavorful. Burn is pretty even too. At the beginning I got hot pepper that has now faded a bit and more creamy now. Have to think on what else I'm picking up. The hot pepper does pick up for random draws though and I just got some hints of maybe anise. image
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    Finally ordered my first sampler of Johnny-O! cigars. Can't wait to try these.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Rob1110:
    Finally ordered my first sampler of Johnny-O! cigars. Can't wait to try these.
    Cool. I really enjoy them fresh, they offer something very unique...to me, they're not particularly complex or smooth when fresh, but if I wanted that I wouldn't be buying fresh rolled cigars. Hope you enjoy them.
  • CvilleECvilleE Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,177
    Just wanted to jump in and say I will try one after I dry box it for a minute, but the rest r sitting for a bit. You guys kill me with this shite.....I trust you so...you convinced me to get um...willbe back to tell the tell...look forward to something different though..!
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    CvilleE:
    Just wanted to jump in and say I will try one after I dry box it for a minute, but the rest r sitting for a bit. You guys kill me with this shite.....I trust you so...you convinced me to get um...willbe back to tell the tell...look forward to something different though..!

Eric, you won't be disappointed. I had one of the Shorts on the way home Sunday and it was awesome! Rich peaty earth, a mellow citrus tang, and just a hint of what I can only describe as Chippotle pepper lingering in the background.
    Toombes:
    CvilleE:

Eric, you won't be disappointed. I had one of the Shorts on the way home Sunday and it was awesome! Rich peaty earth, a mellow citrus tang, and just a hint of what I can only describe as Chippotle pepper lingering in the background.
    Glad youi liked it...my is out...will smoke it soon..
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    CvilleE:
    Toombes:
    CvilleE:

Glad youi liked it...my is out...will smoke it soon..

Liked is an understatement!
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    I seriously got to pop on a sampler
  • asianbiker8asianbiker8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 551
    From all the talk about johnny o cigars, Alex should try to pick these up for the site.
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    asianbiker8:
    From all the talk about johnny o cigars, Alex should try to pick these up for the site.
    That's impossible... gov't might have a little issue with it...
    BigT06:
    asianbiker8:
    Why? I dont know anything about johnny o, or the business side of cigars to know about this.
    asianbiker8:
    BigT06:
    asianbiker8:
    Why? I dont know anything about johnny o, or the business side of cigars to know about this.
    They come from an island....that is south of say....Louisiana or Miami ;)
    catfishbluezz:
    asianbiker8:
    BigT06:
    asianbiker8:
    Ah, gotcha. Nuff said. I had no idea! Forgive my ignorance, then how do enough people around here get their hands on them?
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    catfishbluezz:
    asianbiker8:
    BigT06:
    asianbiker8:
    You mean, CUBA! :0
    Here is my first experience with the Short (4.75 X 43). It had a flawless burn from the get go. It held just a little past the halfway point before it fell off. After that it wouldn't hold ash, but seemed to me to get better as I neared the nub. Gotta say this was a different experience for me, but could really taste the freshness of it. I'm used to smokes that have already been aged before they hit the shelf, so this was a trip. I had it out for awhile yesterday, but couldn't get to it due to some bad food from taco bell. Set it out this morning to try again, so it had around 12 hrs to drybox.

All in all this had a very mild greeny, grassy taste that somehow turned to a caramel flavor as the smoke shortened. I'm really excited now based off my first one, to see what it is like next spring! Definantly glad I listened to you guys and picked some up. I'm not good at lengthly reviews, but I do know I'd like to have this one in my humi for years to come.

Got my J-O humi up and running.

I'll try and take pics with a better camera sometime, my phone just doesn't cut it in low-light situations.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    that is AWESOME!
    Unfortunately for me, I have a good 12-18 months before I can enjoy most of those.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    yeah, but it will be worth it. Just think about how awesome every one of those cigars is going to be :D
  • scarlinscarlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,592
    Jozer what is your favorite vitola of these? I take it you have had a few in the past..
    scarlin:
    Jozer what is your favorite vitola of these? I take it you have had a few in the past..
    That's hard to say. They're not all made by one person, so there is quite a difference between some of them. Based on what I've had, of the "world famous" vitolas, I think I've enjoyed the Cazador the most, and of the other "farm rolled" vitolas, I really enjoyed the Canonazo. There are several that are factory-rolled as well, and those are as different from one another as any cigar brands.
    taythegibs:
    yeah, but it will be worth it. Just think about how awesome every one of those cigars is going to be :D
    Quite true, I've had the pleasure of smoking a couple that were past their sick period and they were very rich and tasty, the development you see in only a year's time is astounding.
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    Jonny sent me two of those lovely smokes with the carton of Cohiba's I ordered (sorry couldn't resist Cuban Cigarettes) I'm dying to fire one up yet unsure if I should wait or not
    Hayblet:
    Jonny sent me two of those lovely smokes with the carton of Cohiba's I ordered (sorry couldn't resist Cuban Cigarettes) I'm dying to fire one up yet unsure if I should wait or not
    So how are the Cuban cigs?
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    j0z3r:
    scarlin:
    That's hard to say. They're not all made by one person, so there is quite a difference between some of them. Based on what I've had, of the "world famous" vitolas, I think I've enjoyed the Cazador the most, and of the other "farm rolled" vitolas, I really enjoyed the Canonazo. There are several that are factory-rolled as well, and those are as different from one another as any cigar brands.
    I agree that the Canonazo is the best of the factory rolled ones, although the Genio is VERY good too. My favorite of the "world famous" rolled ones is the Sublime.

but there are several factory rolls and world famous rolls that I haven't had the pleasure of smoking YET... so there is always the chance that a new fav could pop up at any time.
    Actually Todd, just a minor point, but the Canonazo and Genio aren't factory, hence the distinction I made. Not that it matters, they're just excellent.
    I can't wait to try the shorts and corona extra... Those will be my next purchase... And I have no problem being patient until next summer for what I have now