Home Ratings & Reviews

Edge Corojo after 8 months

JFJF Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 54

So, I've had this Edge Corojo Toro knocking around my tiny 20-ct humidor for just about 8 months now, and decided last night that now was the time. I'd been a bit gun-shy when it first arrived, owing to all of the hype regarding strength; rest for the better part of a year, I assumed, would take a bit of the "Edge" off it, so to speak.

First off, I must mentioned that this stick was hard as a rock, to the point where I worried it had somehow dried out, or was a really bad wrap. In actuality, the draw was really quite loose, and there were no indications of dryness in the flavor.

The "mouth-flavor" of this stick was very, very mild, exhibiting the faintest note of spice. Where it really shined was in it's aroma, evidenced through retro-nasal olfaction. The was a strong note, believe it or not, of Cardamom, with an ephemeral, mildly-perfumey note always in the background which I could never quite put my finger on, in terms of describing the flavor. The flavor was consistent throughout, with very litle development over the course of the stick. At the half-way point, a mild tarry flavor developed, which worried me, but it never developed into anythign more than a background note, even when I was smoking the very nub through pinched thumb and forefinger.

The strength was nothing like the hype, and that's something coming from me, a once-a-week smoker who was once literally laid out by an Olde World Maduro for an hour. The seemed to be a bit of a buzz developing in the first third, which disappeared almost immediately, and never re-surfaced.

Comments

• 3 Stripes3 Stripes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 25
    The Edge Corojo is one of my go to smokes, I have always taken this to be a mild-medium cigar at the most. The Edge Maduro on the other hand is a little bit of a fuller bodied smoke. The draw on these typically are a little loose, I will normally punch them to keep a little tighter.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    I have a couple Edges in my humi now, I smoked the Lite about month ago and liked it. From this thread seems like I will like the Edge too.
  • JFJF Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 54
    Krieg:
    I have a couple Edges in my humi now, I smoked the Lite about month ago and liked it. From this thread seems like I will like the Edge too.

It's great for the price; mind you, I've never had one without decent aging on it. My only criticism is that the flavor is absolutely constant after the first half-inch or so - and almost all through the nose.
  • VidarienVidarien Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 246
    I'll concur with JF. The power isnt quite what they advertise, but its more powerful than say...a vintage 92.

In fact, in many ways it reminds me of a vintage 92 when it comes to the undertones. I get the citrus flavor of the 92, except with this it has a little more power to compliment it instead of the lighter espresso flavors that youd expect from a vintage. It would not suprise me if they age the Edge tobaccos for 5 years or so, because i mean you can tell theres some good ligero leaf in there, but it has more of an equalizing flavor with the citrus'ish undertones, which...i can appreciate if i want a little more bite instead of the smoothness/creaminess of the 92.

But yeah, the profile is generally pretty constant, with the exception the power of it does change somewhat as you go through it (but not much).