Home Non Cigar Related

Hikers or Backpackers?

Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
I'm nearing the end of a good bit of leave from work and just got back in town. Wife and I went on a massive backpacking/trip in Redwoods National Park, then Zion NP. Zion is friggin amazing if anyone's gets the chance to go. All together we logged about 24 miles in each place. Angels landing in Zion(YouTube it) is no friggin joke! I though I had balls and this one gut checked me! We were going to go up the Narrows but the park had it closed because the water was too high...Still waiting on a Halfdome permit for Yosemite.... Any other backpackers out there?

Comments

• james40james40 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,450
    Nice trip man. How about the mile long tunnel? I'm not able to do the long hikes like that anymore but I did check out Zion and Bryce about 5 weeks ago. We liked Bryce a lot more than Zion. Must see National Parks folks. And Yosemite is heavenly to me.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    We saw the entrance to the "subway" off the Wildcat trail but it was permit required. We checked out Bryce on the last day but didn't get much of a chance to hike it due to the wife having a huge blister on her foot. She did t take care of it then we did the 5.5 mile hell hike to angels landing which killed her foot afterwards. I love yosemite but like the sequoia NF and kings canyon NP better, less crowds:)
  • james40james40 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,450
    I haven't been to kings or sequoia yet but trying to get up there next year. What pack/backback do you use if you don't mind the question?
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    I went to Zion many, many years ago. What an amazing trip. My brother and I did an overnight trip down the Virgin River Narrows from the top. Nothing like hiking in a narrow crack, just after getting a crash course in flash floods and then seeing a tree wedged sideways over 1000 feet above your head!

I still do lots of hiking, mostly in the winter because summer is boating season. Every year my friends and I hike into Baxter State Park in Maine for a little winter hiking/skiing:

Hamlin Ridge

Baxter is one of the most obscure, under-rated parks in the country. It is set up for the environment first and people second so there is very little access to anything but the perimeter of the park from your vehicle, you must hike to get anywhere. In the winter, the hike in alone is 16.3 miles. I love it.
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    I visited Seqoia a few times while I was in Lemoore. Last year my friend and I did a couple of weekend hikes on the Sheltowee Trace Trail which runs through the area we live in. It's hard to believe that anyone wouldn't want to see what's in their backyard...
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    I hiked a bit in my day. Back in the mid-sixties a buddy or two and I used to hike in to some of the otherwise inaccessible lakes in the Washington Cascades to camp and fish. My biggest failing was the fact that I couldn't seem to cut down on the weight of my backpack. I've been known to carry a 55lb. pack on a 4 or 5 day fishing campout. I know, I'm a dumbkopf. At least I ate well when I got where I was going and it was good for my legs. Ah, memories.......
  • bbass2bbass2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    I haven't done any backpacking trips other than some local overnighters. My wife and I went with her folks to Glacier a few years ago and got in quite a few day hikes. That place is amazing and I've been wanting to go back since we left.
    bbass2:
    I haven't done any backpacking trips other than some local overnighters. My wife and I went with her folks to Glacier a few years ago and got in quite a few day hikes. That place is amazing and I've been wanting to go back since we left.

I assume you're referring to Glacier Natl. Park. Just an interesting side note... The area of Washington where I last lived was said to have more glaciers than Glacier Natl. Park. Not sure how true it is..... Maybe just chamber of commerce propaganda, but we DID have a lot of glaciers......
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    jlmarta:
    bbass2:

I assume you're referring to Glacier Natl. Park. Just an interesting side note... The area of Washington where I last lived was said to have more glaciers than Glacier Natl. Park. Not sure how true it is..... Maybe just chamber of commerce propaganda, but we DID have a lot of glaciers......
    I can believe that, I've been hearing for a long time the glaciers in Glacier are melting quickly. I would love to go see that park, probably more than any other park. I used to live in Oregon (three times actually) and took my family to Washington a couple years ago. Here's a shot of me and my young daughter hiking in the Alpine Lakes region of Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie Nat. Forest:

Washington

For anyone who hasn't been to the Pacific NW that cedar tree is just one example of how HUGE things are out there. If it didn't rain every single day I'd still be living out there. The weather on the Ocean side of the ridge is just dismal.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    jlmarta:
    I hiked a bit in my day. Back in the mid-sixties a buddy or two and I used to hike in to some of the otherwise inaccessible lakes in the Washington Cascades to camp and fish. My biggest failing was the fact that I couldn't seem to cut down on the weight of my backpack. I've been known to carry a 55lb. pack on a 4 or 5 day fishing campout. I know, I'm a dumbkopf. At least I ate well when I got where I was going and it was good for my legs. Ah, memories.......
    im the same way. i am a runner and a soccer player at heart and long walks with a lot of weight never bothered me. ive packed upwards of 65lbs on a 4 or 5 day trip. i want to eat WELL when im there. of course i always like cold weather backpacking so i have more clothes to deal with as well.
  • bbass2bbass2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    jlmarta:
    bbass2:

Yes it was Glacier NP, and that wouldn't surprise me. There weren't that many glaciers, and frankly, the ones that we saw would have been seen as just another area of snowpack had they not been pointed out to us.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    james40:
    I haven't been to kings or sequoia yet but trying to get up there next year. What pack/backback do you use if you don't mind the question?
    James, sorry for the delay. I use the REI Traverse pack. I don't think they are made anymore, dam shame too, this damn thing is bullet proof! Very well constructed, a wee heavier than some lightweight bags but tough as nails, and I'm not nice to packs either. I'll post a pic later tomorrow, you can still find them used though, last pack I may ever need!(Edit): the traverse packs they sell now are day packs, mine is huge, could easily do a 5 day trek with it
  • CmdioCmdio Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9
    I'm an all around outdoorsman. Hunt fish camp hike, whatever. I enjoy hiking and tend to like to base camp hike. I'll trek in maybe up to 5 miles and then set up camp to do dayhikes or hunting or fishing from. I like to bring enough gear to be comfortable in camp, something I am unwilling to do if I'm covering a lot of miles each day. I like canoe trips for this reason too. I've got an old external frame pack I use and it's usually packed to the gills with stuff lashed to the outside. That or an ultralight setup where I'm cold and uncomfortable because I don't want to carry any more than absolutely necessary.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 908
    I backpacked quite heavily in the mid 60s to 1971, with my dad, who was hardcore.
    We'd go out for 10 to 16+ days, and bust a$$ on the John Muir trail and all it's side trails, etc., and a few other spots in the Sierras
    In those days, there were hardly any people, seriously. After we had hiked in for 4 or 5 days, it was quite common for us not see anyone for the next 4 or 5 days.
    We traveled lite, and he factored in fish in the diet plan. I swear, fishing those lakes at that time was almost criminal, I literally could catch trout all day long if I wanted to.....just used salmon eggs, and I'd have 4 good sized fish for dinner within 10-15 minutes (after throwing at least that many back!)
    The daily plan was as follows:
    We'd get up well before sunrise, and hit the trail hard and fast as soon as we could see.
    Then around 1pm, we get to our designated location, and he would go off and climb some peak! I would fart around, and go catch fish for dinner. He'd show up, we'd eat, go to bed, repeat.
    One time, he didn't show up until after dark...............I had been crying for about an hour, thought he fell, or got hurt, etc. I finally regrouped, and started planning my strategy for the next day to go look for him, or look for some help (we hadn't seen anyone for a few days by this point) when he finally comes marching in to camp .......I was not happy.

Now?? Motorhome, camp fire, scotch and cigars, and good food..............I'm done back packing.
    bigharpoon:
    For anyone who hasn't been to the Pacific NW that cedar tree is just one example of how HUGE things are out there. If it didn't rain every single day I'd still be living out there. The weather on the Ocean side of the ridge is just dismal.

Aw, c'mon now, it doesn't rain every single day.....it just seems like it. LOL. And I'm surprised to hear an ex-Oregonian complaining about rain.

I've lived in Washington numerous times and have learned that if you don't figure out how to comfortably do things in the rain you might as well just shrivel up and die. It's almost never a heavy downpour and it's glorious to just throw a poncho over you and your pack and just go. I've hunted, fished, camped, and whatever in the rain. People make it sound worse than it really is. And that rain is why the western half of Washington is so beautiful compared to the eastern half.