Home Cigar 101

The need for aging

2»

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Retircs1:
    the aging process you are talking about is that RP means with stick that are 10 12, etc... ?
    sometimes.
    there is no real standard for vintages in cigars.

i had a blerb about it in another thread. here is what i had to say:

The “Vintage” of almost any product means the year of production. Not in the cigar world. Is the vintage the year the cigar is released? The year the tobacco is grown? The year it is rolled? Or maybe its like the Cubans do it and have a vintage based on when the cigar is boxed? And if it is from when the tobacco is grown what leaf does it apply to, the wrapper only? What about the filler? If the wrapper is from 2003 and the filler is from 2005 what is put on the label of that cigar: “vintage 2003?”

There is no standard. Every company has a different concept of what their “vintage” is. Is a cigar that is labeled “Vintage XXXX” actually vintage to that year even after 10 or 15 years of constant high output annual production? That tobacco from the original release is long gone. It is no longer “vintage” to that year, the word “vintage” is just a name now and has no meaning.

• RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
  • First WarriorFirst Warrior Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 707
    Real important info. I've learned more about cigars in the past couple of months on this site than i learned in the past three years. Now i know why some cigars I've recieved from BOTL'S have a date written at the bottom fold of the cellow. I'm going to start dating the cigars I get as they are put up to rest.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    One of the only companies I know that really somewhat ages the cigars is fuente. That being said it's really just the gof's and don carlos gran anixersarios.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,371
    First Warrior:
    Real important info. I've learned more about cigars in the past couple of months on this site than i learned in the past three years. Now i know why some cigars I've recieved from BOTL'S have a date written at the bottom fold of the cellow. I'm going to start dating the cigars I get as they are put up to rest.
    I started doing this a while back. I can't keep them all straight, so it's a good idea.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Lee.mcglynn:
    One of the only companies I know that really somewhat ages the cigars is fuente. That being said it's really just the gof's and don carlos gran anixersarios.
    depends on what you mean by "age"

most non-Cuban brands have an aging room. often it is 6 months to a year in there. does that qualitfy?

ive seen a few of them first hand.